Jan 2011 Retrogression and Interview date

You could make an Infopass appointment and go there to explain the situation and try to get a date this month, but they rarely approve "prepone" requests, and even if the interview is successful it doesn't mean they'll complete all the necessary approval steps before retrogression occurs.

When is your priority date (I presume F2A category)? They might be more sympathetic if you've already been waiting for a couple of years.

Yes, F2A. We've already been waiting 1.5 years since starting the process .

Thanks Jacko!

You could make an Infopass appointment and go there to explain the situation and try to get a date this month, but they rarely approve "prepone" requests, and even if the interview is successful it doesn't mean they'll complete all the necessary approval steps before retrogression occurs.

When is your priority date (I presume F2A category)? They might be more sympathetic if you've already been waiting for a couple of years.

Thanks for the good advice! We made an infopass appointment, went there this morning and explained our situation. They asked us to come back in the afternoon, which we did. A short interview, with a few basic questions (including the standard prostitute, drug, terrorism questions) followed. After this, the IO said we were approved, wished us happy holidays, and we were on our way. Case status is updated as card production ordered.

Thanks for the good advice! We made an infopass appointment, went there this morning and explained our situation. They asked us to come back in the afternoon, which we did. A short interview, with a few basic questions (including the standard prostitute, drug, terrorism questions) followed. After this, the IO said we were approved, wished us happy holidays, and we were on our way. Case status is updated as card production ordered.

That's an amazing holiday gift!

What kind of case was it? Marriage based, or under-21 child of LPR? If it was marriage based, how long have you been married? If it was marriage based and you were married for less than 2 years, they normally would have done a longer more thorough interview.

That's an amazing holiday gift!

What kind of case was it? Marriage based, or under-21 child of LPR? If it was marriage based, how long have you been married? If it was marriage based and you were married for less than 2 years, they normally would have done a longer more thorough interview.

It was marriage based (<2 yrs since marriage). The IO said that normally he would have to do a more thorough questioning of the bona-fide nature of the marriage. However since the I-130 was already approved by the service center (our case could only be filed non-concurrently due to F2A PD), he said that they were already fairly satisfied as to the validity of the relationship. He did collect some additional evidences like joing bank statements, credit card statements etc

Last edited by a moderator:
It was marriage based (<2 yrs since marriage). The IO said that normally he would have to do a more thorough questioning of the bona-fide nature of the marriage. However since the I-130 was already approved by the service center (our case could only be filed non-concurrently due to F2A PD), he said that they were already fairly satisfied as to the validity of the relationship. He did collect some additional evidences like joing bank statements, credit card statements etc

It probably helped that you are just a few months away from the 2-year mark.

It probably helped that you are just a few months away from the 2-year mark.

Yeah, agreed. I think it also helped that I am just an LPR. When we got married, the projection was for a 3-5 year wait for my spouse to get a green card, although we were subsequently lucky and it happened a lot faster.

I don't think anybody in their right mind would bother trying a sham marriage to an LPR, because the potential wait is normally huge, especially compared to marriage with a US citizen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just want to update everyone. My brother had his "interview" this morning. His PD is in Sept 09 and he was current until Jan 1, 2011. They didn't really do anything, except the officer telling him that he has to wait until the PD becomes current and then they will contact him to do the interview. SCREWED by the retrogression harder than anything you can imagine.

Just want to update everyone. My brother had his "interview" this morning. His PD is in Sept 09 and he was current until Jan 1, 2011. They didn't really do anything, except the officer telling him that he has to wait until the PD becomes current and then they will contact him to do the interview. SCREWED by the retrogression harder than anything you can imagine.

I am sorry to hear that. The retrogression affected my case to. Is your brother currently in the US? I am not sure if the interview process is the same between someone who is in US and someone who is outside.

Just want to update everyone. My brother had his "interview" this morning. His PD is in Sept 09 and he was current until Jan 1, 2011. They didn't really do anything, except the officer telling him that he has to wait until the PD becomes current and then they will contact him to do the interview.
He showed up for the interview at the embassy and they didn't interview him?

He showed up for the interview at the embassy and they didn't interview him?

You can technically say that he was interviewed - they did call his name to the window and the consular officer just told him that they will call him back once the PD is current. He also gave him a paper basically saying the same thing. Also, the CO confirmed that his DOB will the age on the day his PD became current the first time minus the time the case was pending with USCIS, because he has already applied for IV via DS-230 So, no matter how long it takes for his PD to become current, he will be considered F2A. I am happy about that since F2B is now nearly 8 years behind.

You can technically say that he was interviewed - they did call his name to the window and the consular officer just told him that they will call him back once the PD is current.

That wasn't an interview. They basically told him that he's not going to be interviewed. If they had actually conducted the interview, that means a visa number was assigned to the case and retrogression would have no effect.

Probably what happened is that they assigned the visa number initially when they scheduled the interview, then they were running short of visa numbers so they started removing them from cases that hadn't done the interview yet.

VISA Dates and Retrogression JAN interview date

I have my interview yesterday, my PD is MAR 2010 , interview was cleared but VO said to get VISA Dates available. He cannot grant visa at this time....:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Hello Gurus,
What happens to scheduled AOS interview after visa retrogression? Does USCIS approve visa after successful visa interview ? I have visa interview on January 24th, 2011 and my visa date was current in November, 2010 under F2A category. I have submitted AOS application on November 1st 2010 and submitted Bio Metrics on December 7th, 2010.

Also I am seeing 9 digit A # in my I 485 receipt – Does it mean they have assigned the visa number?

I greatly appreciate your help!
~AbcdAmerica

Hello Gurus,
What happens to scheduled AOS interview after visa retrogression? Does USCIS approve visa after successful visa interview ?

No, if there is retrogression they'll just mark your file as "preadjudicated", which means they intend to officially approve it soon after your PD becomes current again.

Also I am seeing 9 digit A # in my I 485 receipt – Does it mean they have assigned the visa number?
No, the A# is not the visa number and it doesn't mean they assigned a visa number.