J1 waiver - Statement of Reason

pedroyue

Hello folks,

I am reasonably advanced in my waiver process, and the Brazilian Embassy has already sent the DOS the "No Objection" letter. Now, I received a letter from the DOS saying they have everything but a "Statement of Reason".
Can somebody help me understand what should be - and what should NOT be in such statement?

I'll be graduating on an MBA this may, which was sponsored by my company (a branch from a US firm). I'm switching offices from Sao Paulo (Brazil) to San Francisco within the firm, so I plan to stay in the US under an L visa. A small complication is that although the firm is the one paying for the course, the university (UPenn) is the J1 visa sponsor - so the DOS has never seen the affiliation btw me and the actual financial sponsor (apparently it has not been an issue so far...).

tks a lot in advance!

statement of reason

Can somebody PLEAAAAAAAAASE advise about pedroyue's question?
I am in the same situation and would like to know what to write or not to write in the statement of reason.
If you were successful in you request for a waiver to 212(e), would you please comment?
Thanks

everybody has different circumstances.... I relied heavily on the hardship to my US husband and myself.

statement of reason

Hi there,

I don't know if I'm successful on my J1 waiver yet, but I'm past this stage and I feel for you waiting for someone to chime in, so here I am offering my .2 cents for what are worth. From this and other forums on J1 waivers, I wrote mine having in mind two main things: 1) give the DoS a good reason that justifies why I want to return to the States (or for you, to stay), and 2) give the DoS a good reason why your home-country will be benefited (yes, benefited) by your not returning. How you go about thinking and replying to these q's is a very personal thing as Lucy already wrote. Each case is different.

In sum, if your funding is coming from your home country and you manage to get a No Obj Letter, then you're almost "home"-free (i.e. allowed to return or stay in the States). If your sponsor was USG, then things get a bit more complicated. Your statement of reason should be sound and offer arguments for your waiving the J1 visa on the grounds of your situation (some ppl argue that there are no jobs for them in their home countries etc.).

Good luck, hope that helps,

GRE

Simpler that it looks

Folks,

i'm happy to say that i got my waiver - it was very fast and simpler than i thought.

for the statement of reason, i wrote 3 or 4 paragraphs stating why i wanted to stay and why brazil and us (mostly my employer) would benefit from it, buti heard from an attorney and from other knowledgeable people that for people applying for a waiver based on "no objection", with the hrr based on skills list, it is very difficult not to get the waiver after the no obj letter from the gov's embassy is sent to the DoS. reality or not, my case was fortunately not an exception...

Good luck!

congrats!

Yes, it's easier when you are funding from you own country and you get a Letter of No Objection from your country's authorities. I personally got a ridiculously small amount of $$ from a USG-funded source and I'm now past the No Obj LEtter stage and waiting for Sponsor Views. Please cross fingers for me.

Congrats, again!

GRE :)

Money

GRE said:
Yes, it's easier when you are funding from you own country and you get a Letter of No Objection from your country's authorities. I personally got a ridiculously small amount of $$ from a USG-funded source and I'm now past the No Obj LEtter stage and waiting for Sponsor Views. Please cross fingers for me.

Congrats, again!

MAy I ask what a small amoutnof money is????

Money

GRE said:

Congrats, again!

MAy I ask what a small amoutnof money is????

Help MBA

I am almost in the same boat. I am finishing my MBA programd (dual degree) and that´s why I got the J1 visa (altough I am paying all my tuition, and din´t recieve any govenrment related aid). Do I need a Lawyer to help me in the process or can I do it myself ( I have already requested the no objection statement to my embassy) I have until december to get the waiver. It is possible??

Any help will be appreciated,

Thanks,

PE