j1 waiver -no objection

ivanmladek

Registered Users (C)
I was on a J1 research visa 6 years ago and my funding was from a private source and neither home or US government funding was involved. My IAP-66 (back then) was stamped NOT SUBJECT to 2-year home residency however when I got an advisory opinion DOS changed their mind and made me subject.
I just applied for a waiver on no objection grounds after the Czech Embassy gave me a no objection letter on the spot, however DOS is dragging their feet as I need the waiver my May 09 when I have my diversity visa interview in Prague.
How long does it normally take to get the waiver? DOS website says up to 8 weeks but I don't believe that as just the advisory opinion took more than two months.
Any ideas?

Reason to be subject to 2 years rule?

Do you know the reason the DOS change their mind? Was your field of work in the skill lists? Did you actually checked your field is in the skill list published in DOS?

I'm just wondering if anyone can get a subject to 2yr without explicit reason, because my field is not in skill list published in DOS, but I don't want to apply J1 visa unless I'm sure that I won't get subject to 2yr. Please help me with information!!

J visa

I am J2 holder. My SEVIS record was canceled due to my change into F1. However, I could not receive I-20 on time as my expectation. My concern is How many days I have to leave US? some one said 30 days, right? I need your help very soon.

Thank your very much

j to h4

This question is on behalf of my fiancé.
She and I are both Indians nationals. I currently work in the US on an H1B visa and she works in Singapore, holding a Singapore PR issued in June 2009.
She went to Singapore for her Dual Masters program in August 2007. And as a part of her program came to the US as an exchange visitor on a J1 visa for the period from Jan 2008 till Jun 2008. She got her J visa from US consulate in Singapore and was holding a Singapore Student pass at that time. She then went back to Singapore from the US in Jul 2008 and has been there since. The problem we are having is that her J1 visa was subject to the 2-year home residence requirement Section 212e.
We are planning on getting married sometime around June 2010 after which she would like to move to the US on an H4 visa. But since she has stayed in Singapore and not in India all this time, we are worried that she might have to apply for the HRR waiver, even though she would have completed her 2 yr stay outside of the US in June 2010. Can you please help me figure out if the waiver is necessary? And also point us in the right direction.
Please let me know if you need more details.
Your help is much appreciated.
Thanks,