J1 waiver...How long does it take?

pepper

Hi guys,

I would like to know how long it takes for the processing of the J1 HRR waiver. Once a no objection letter is sent from my embassy, how longs does it take at the DOS? I was under the impression that it was 1-2 months, is that true? :eek:

Thanks again,

Pepper

Once the DOS receives the letter (which can take a few days to a few weeks depending on how the embassy sent it), a favorable recommendation can be issued within a few days. Sometimes it's the same day! Other times it can take 6-8 weeks. It depends on the person handling your case as well as your country of origin. If your US sponsor views are requested, that will delay it further.

Thanks for your reply.

I don´t understand what the US sponsor view is, can you please explain it to me? thanks again,

Pepper:confused:

If you are sponsored by your home government, or you are subject to the HRR because of the Skills List, you don't need to worry about sponsor views.

On the other hand, if the source of your funding for your J-1 program is a US government agency (e.g. Fullbright Scholarships, Department of Defense, Department of Health and Human Services, etc) then what happens is that when the DOS receives the No Objection Statement, it will contact your US sponsor to request its views (i.e. approval) for recommending a waiver.

Generally, if your sponsor is a US government source, you are expected to return to your home country. In some cases (such as Fullbright scholarships) it is almost (but not completely) impossible to obtain a waiver because the US sponsor will not agree, since the very purpose of the program is to return home. In other cases, the sponsor might agree if you fulfill certain conditions (and you have to ask your own sponsor for its specific policies). In rare cases, the sponsor might not respond at all, which will put your application in limbo. But this is rare.
I hope this information helps.

j1 to h1b ....

I have obtained a favorable recommendation from the DOS on 2/12/07 for a j1 waiver physician position in Arizona. I called my lawyer to check if I can apply for h1b with only the DOS letter but he stated that I have to wait for USCIS letter to arrive. Does anyone know how long it takes for USCIS to reply following a favorable recommendation by DOS ? Is there any way to check the status with USCIS application similar to DOS status internet link ?

Thanks

I have obtained a favorable recommendation from the DOS on 2/12/07 for a j1 waiver physician position in Arizona. I called my lawyer to check if I can apply for h1b with only the DOS letter but he stated that I have to wait for USCIS letter to arrive. Does anyone know how long it takes for USCIS to reply following a favorable recommendation by DOS ? Is there any way to check the status with USCIS application similar to DOS status internet link ?

Thanks

1- It differ from case to case, mine is pending there since 11/15/06. The only difference is that mine is no objection.
2- The USCIS should send you a receipt notice with your number (the case will be pending I-612). In my case they did not send me this notice, I sent a letter to the adress in the favorable recommendation, after 2 weeks or so an officer called me and give me the number over the phone. Good luck

how can I reach DOS by phone?

Hi, my case was pending for the last six months. I sent letters but did not get any reply. I tried to call the number of thier website. It is really junk system. I could not make it to talk to a human being.
I will appreciate if you have any hep in this respect.

Hi, my case was pending for the last six months. I sent letters but did not get any reply. I tried to call the number of thier website. It is really junk system. I could not make it to talk to a human being.
I will appreciate if you have any hep in this respect.

Are you no objection? If yes; When DOS received NOS from your embassy?
Me too, my case was pending for +5 months and I sent about 5 faxes or so with no reply, I contacted congressman, no help. The number is 202-663-1225press 1
press 2
press 0

you will find yourself talking to a representative (will not help either). Friend of mine pending more than one year ago.

Hi all

All the above time lines indicate off late DOS and USCIS are dead slow. But to me it looks like even the home country embassy is too slow. All I am talking about is for No Objection cases.

good luck to all.

thanks. it worked. my case was on hardship. i was told that they have electronically transfered it to USCIS a month ago. US CIS is sleeping on it.

Are you no objection? If yes; When DOS received NOS from your embassy?
Me too, my case was pending for +5 months and I sent about 5 faxes or so with no reply, I contacted congressman, no help. The number is 202-663-1225press 1
press 2
press 0

you will find yourself talking to a representative (will not help either). Friend of mine pending more than one year ago.

thanks. it worked. my case was on hardship. i was told that they have electronically transfered it to USCIS a month ago. US CIS is sleeping on it.

Congratulations!! If they forward a favorable recommendation to the USCIS, they will send you a copy of that recommendation, it takes about 3 weeks to come by mail. By this recommendation you can do your further step (H, GC, ...etc). The USCIS will take from 1 week to few years to issue you the final waiver.

Lately DOS is really slow. The reason might be that lots of people are trying to get this done before April 1st start of H1B applications. It took a month to see my case online, and over 5 weeks to put NOS into my file. Will see how long it takes for further steps....

Well, I guess they are not that slow after all. Ane day after receipt of NOS they approved my waiver. Now it is just a matter of USCIS doing their job. Good luck to everybody waiting for their case to be approved.

Congratulations. It is indeed amazing. Good luck with your USCIS. But if you are intending to apply for H1B this is sufficient.

My NOS was also received on 20th March 2007 and it is still pending.

Today, when I tried to check the case status, the web site said there is no information available for this case number! I was tensed. So called up the DOS over phone. They said it is still pending and nothing more.

I wish this to happen to me too. I would be delighted. Let us hope for the best.

Congratulations. It is indeed amazing. Good luck with your USCIS. But if you are intending to apply for H1B this is sufficient.

My NOS was also received on 20th March 2007 and it is still pending.

Today, when I tried to check the case status, the web site said there is no information available for this case number! I was tensed. So called up the DOS over phone. They said it is still pending and nothing more.

I wish this to happen to me too. I would be delighted. Let us hope for the best.

I checked hundreds of random number in the DOS web site before and after mine, I found more than 95% of cases approved within one week after receiving NOS. More than half of those in the second day after NOS.

On the other hand, if the source of your funding for your J-1 program is a US government agency ... then what happens is that when the DOS receives the No Objection Statement, it will contact your US sponsor to request its views (i.e. approval) for recommending a waiver.
Does anyone have any idea on how long this usually takes? And should my status page show that such a letter has been requested? It currently shows NOS was received on February 26, and it still says "Pending."

Does anyone have any idea on how long this usually takes? And should my status page show that such a letter has been requested? It currently shows NOS was received on February 26, and it still says "Pending."

yes, If the DOS request sponsor views, this will be shown in your profile and when the DOS receive it another update will be there.

How long it takes; differ from case to case. Check random numbers on the DOS web site (before and after your number) you will find hundreds of cases and you can get an idea about how long it take. For me the DOS did not ask for sponsor views.

yes, If the DOS request sponsor views, this will be shown in your profile and when the DOS receive it another update will be there.
Thanks. My profile does not show anything listed as "requested". If they received the NOS on Feb 26 and still haven't requested sponsor views, and the case is still pending, what could this mean??

I did try entering other case numbers, it looks like they usually make the decision or request for sponsor views within a few days of receiving the NOS. Not many cases are still open 1 month after receiving all documentations, and without any requests sent.

Thanks. My profile does not show anything listed as "requested". If they received the NOS on Feb 26 and still haven't requested sponsor views, and the case is still pending, what could this mean??

I did try entering other case numbers, it looks like they usually make the decision or request for sponsor views within a few days of receiving the NOS. Not many cases are still open 1 month after receiving all documentations, and without any requests sent.

*As I said it may take months to request sponsor views or not request at all.
*Your case still pending without any "requested" means exactly that (it is still pending and no request for sponsor views issued yet)
*I checked hundreds of cases and looked for no objection only, I found more than 95% of cases approved in the same week the DOS received the NOS, few cases including mine approved after 5.5 months, few other cases still pending more than 2 years ago after the DOS received the NOS and so on.
*My case still pending with the USCIS for final waiver 4.5 months ago, one of my colleages next to me recieved the final waiver after 2 years from the time the DOS received the NOS.
* The bottom line is; you can not do anything but waiting till a decision will be made in the DOS and the USCIS later.