J1 waiver for Fulbrighter

moosehead

Registered Users (C)
hello everyone, been reading with great interest all the posts here..and decided to turn to you for advice. I am a graduate student on a Fulbright program. I received all the funding from US State Department e.g. my government has nothing to do with paying my tuition here. I wonder how high my chances are to get a 2-year home requirement waiver? The main reason I want to do it is because I am currently involved in a very interesting research which is specific to the USA only. There is absolutely no way for me to continue this research in my home country. If I build my statement on need based on this fact, do you think I can still get it even being a Fulbrighter?? thank you for your comments.

hello everyone, been reading with great interest all the posts here..and decided to turn to you for advice. I am a graduate student on a Fulbright program. I received all the funding from US State Department e.g. my government has nothing to do with paying my tuition here. I wonder how high my chances are to get a 2-year home requirement waiver? The main reason I want to do it is because I am currently involved in a very interesting research which is specific to the USA only. There is absolutely no way for me to continue this research in my home country. If I build my statement on need based on this fact, do you think I can still get it even being a Fulbrighter?? thank you for your comments.

If you can convince the DOS, then your chance is high. This is not only your personal statement but include a supporting letters from your supervisors and pioneers in your field outlining the fact that your return will harm you, US and science in general and include those letters as “others” in your application. If you can convince your home country also and they state something like that in the NOS or even in separate statement will also help.

As a Fullbrighter, you have a US sponsor and the DOS will require that the sponsor agree to your waiver. For Fullbrighters, the US agency that supported your Fullbright (another part of the DOS I believe, but not the Waiver Review Division) will NOT agree to your waiver. The US sponsor's views carry tremendous weight for the Waiver Review Division's verdict. Therefore, as MMED suggested, you must submit evidence to convince the Waiver Review Division that your reasons for being granted a waiver OUTWEIGH your sponsor's refusal to grant you a waiver.

it is very difficult to get no objection waivers in case of fullbright. the successful ones I've seen had strong support from their home country fullbright commission. If most of your money came from the US then it is even more difficult. You may try that though, just beware that it is difficult.

Is this project done in conjunction with a government agency? You might want to try the IGA route. If you have everything in place for IGA then you have a fair chance.

Another possibility for IGA is to work for a company for a few years (using your academic training) and then ask for support from the department of commerce. In this case the company claims that your leaving will be detrimental to a company product that would give the US a technological edge (or something like that) and the dept of commerce might support your waiver. I've seen someone from IBM get a waiver this way (he was fullbright).

Another possibility for IGA is to work for a company for a few years (using your academic training) and then ask for support from the department of commerce.

academic training for J-1 students usually does not exceed 18 months. So, a few years on academic training will probably not happen. Another category of J-1 may work, if she/he can get it after the academic training.

if you're working for a research institute or even an industry research lab, IIE (fullbright) will give you 36 months academic training. Beyond that you can try another J-1 or even O-1.

my government has nothing to do with paying my tuition here.
since he mentioned tuition, I assumed he wasn't working on J-1, but rather studying, thus - 18 months academic training. I do believe that's the max, although he needs to check it.