J1 VISA-Multiple state tax return

agrawals

Registered Users (C)
Hi all,

I am here on J1 exchange visitor since 2005 and I changed 3 employer in 3 different states last year. What should I do for my federal and state tax returns. I have to file three different returns for each or ?

Please help.

Thanks

You file one fedeal tax return and three state returns (and possibly local tax returns as well). For the federal return you add the income from all three employers. For the state returns, you probably need to count only the income you earned in that state. It could get complicated, though, if you are required to report all income on one state return, only to claim a credit for any taxes you paid to a different state, but I do not know if that is common (or even necessary if you claim part-year residence in each of the three states).

Thanks for giving me a needful information but I did not know about local tax. Is that a city tax return. where do we find the forms for same.

Agrawal. S.

Not all cities collect income tax. I worked in Minneapolis a couple of summers and I never had to file a local tax return there, but Pittsburgh collects 1% in income tax if you are on a visa (3% for residents). Of course, I never had to pay local income tax on my student stipend, but I still had to file a return every year.

Check your W-2 forms. If no local tax was collected, chances are that you do not have to file a local tax return. Best way to find out for sure is probably to contact your local government (mayor's office or city hall).