J1 Grace period

Mirabelle

Registered Users (C)
Just finished a J1 program and grace period expires August 4th, ive booked a flight to go home on August 17th, 13 days past grace period, does anyone know what the repercussions would be, i do not plan on returning to the US to work again. However am gettin a little worried about it. Hope someone can help, thanks!

why dont you just change your flight date. you never know - you may need to visit the US again in future.

Would do but its a very cheap flight ($340) and finances are quite low. Would i likely just get a ban from travelling here or something more severe?

Mirabelle said:
Would do but its a very cheap flight ($340) and finances are quite low. Would i likely just get a ban from travelling here or something more severe?

Tradeoff, right? You save money but lose your status.
However you don't have to submit your I-94, so nobody knows what exact time you leave.

Hi a couple of things...first of all there are stamps in your passport when you enter your home country, so when applying for another visa and they WILL check that! Since you overstayed for the period 1-180 days pass grace period you will be a subject to 3yr bar to enter the US in the future. The truth is you might be able to get away with it, however what if the counsular asks you how long you stayed and when you left??? lying is a BAD idea and telling the truth....

change your ticket!!!!!

No that was my issue, i didnt want to be lying. We arent trying to hide anything. Thanks for all your replies, i appreciate it. We have spoken to our lawyer and have filed to extend until the 18th. Even with the $200 fee its still cheaper than the flight now priced this morning at $1560!!

not submitting I94 is the worst advice anyone can give you, without that there will be no record with UCSIS of your departure and will give the impression that you overstayed longer than you did ! !

Mirabelle said:
No that was my issue, i didnt want to be lying. We arent trying to hide anything. Thanks for all your replies, i appreciate it. We have spoken to our lawyer and have filed to extend until the 18th. Even with the $200 fee its still cheaper than the flight now priced this morning at $1560!!

check www.kayak.com, great website to find cheap airfare!!! Good luck!

bhoray said:
not submitting I94 is the worst advice anyone can give you, without that there will be no record with UCSIS of your departure and will give the impression that you overstayed longer than you did ! !

Our I-94 will be submitted when we check in for our flight home. A copy of it has already been submitted with our file.

we submitted a I-539 which was returned to us 11 days later asking us to contact our sponsor by that time we were past our grace period. So we kept our original flight on the 17th and our I-94 were removed from our passports at check-in. We possibly may have incurred a 3year ban and we probably wouldnt know either way until we try to re-enter the US but we are not intending to return permanently anyway. Thanks for all your help.