J1 clinical to J1 research and vice versa

bello1111

Hi everyone,
I am doing my peds residency on J1 and will be switching to radiology. The training program wont start till 2006 (as I already did my internship in Peds) so I have a one year gap. I was thinking it would've been nice to do research during this 1 year period.
I talked to ECFMG today (who wont sponsor a J1 research visa in my case by the way) ; they said that switching "J1 clinical" to "J1 research" would mean that I am switching "my objective for coming to the US" and there is a high likelihood that it'll be rejected by US Dept of State. Plus it will be almost impossible to get approval to switch it back to "J1 clinical" after my research period is over.
What are your guys thoughts about this?Anybody able to do this before?
Thank you!!!

j1 research to j1clinical

bello1111 said:
Hi everyone,
I am doing my peds residency on J1 and will be switching to radiology. The training program wont start till 2006 (as I already did my internship in Peds) so I have a one year gap. I was thinking it would've been nice to do research during this 1 year period.
I talked to ECFMG today (who wont sponsor a J1 research visa in my case by the way) ; they said that switching "J1 clinical" to "J1 research" would mean that I am switching "my objective for coming to the US" and there is a high likelihood that it'll be rejected by US Dept of State. Plus it will be almost impossible to get approval to switch it back to "J1 clinical" after my research period is over.
What are your guys thoughts about this?Anybody able to do this before?
Thank you!!!

ECFMG is right. The DOS won't approve your petition. Infact, ECFMG will send your application (for IAP-66) back to you.

in response to your other post: you are planning to sit out (your 1 year of wait between switching from Peds to Radiology) in your home country.

>> This 1 year doesn't fulfill the HRR. you have to be out for 2 years or get a waiver (note: the time that you spent in your home country, on vacation, may be counted towards the 2 years period)

> by the way) ; they said that switching "J1 clinical" to "J1 research"
> would mean that I am switching "my objective for coming to the US"
> and there is a high likelihood that it'll be rejected by US Dept of State.

Apparently, this is very lengthy and difficult. People have changed from J1research to clinical and vice versa, but it takes a while and is not 100% safe.

> Plus it will be almost impossible to get approval to switch it back to
> "J1 clinical" after my research period is over.

Most definitely.

> What are your guys thoughts about this?Anybody able to do this before?

How far into the peds residency are you ? If you are just in your first year right now, you might want to continue for a second year in peds before your rads residency starts. (you are allowed one switch in specialty after a max of 2 years). Peds sucks, but it sucks a bit less in second year.

Whatever you do, make sure that you can start that rads residency !

Hadron thank you very much for your input I appreciate it. Are you an immigration lawyer?
I'm already in my second year so I'm reaching the max. Are you sure they may count the 1 year toward the HRR? It looks as if they require an "aggregate" of 2 years for that, as it says at ECFMG's website (pls refer to http://www.ecfmg.org/evsp/j1fact.html#physpres)

> require an "aggregate" of 2 years

I allways understood that this is counted from the end of your J1 visa period, meaning the end of your rads residency/fellowship.
I haven't found anything on a 'gap' in J1 sponsorship.

Aggregate does mean actual time spent in one's home country or country of last legal permanent residence. For most instances this has been aggregate of vacation time (in home country) during J sponsorship period typically 5 to 7 years depending on the residency+fellowship combination. And since maximum vacation time is 4 weeks per year the aggregate will never be more than few months. I am not sure if the 2 years HRR clock will reset if one J category (for example research) is changed to another (J clinical).

Hi,
I was just dealing with the exact same issue.
The only way for you to start in radiology with continued sponsorship by the ECFMG is if you go to your home conuntry for that year. Weather you can get like an F-1 or something else in the meantime, remains to be seen.
That year apparently does not count towards your HRR or anything else.
Your J-1 research can be sponsored by whatever place hires you to do research, but you might get into trouble when you apply to the ECFMG again for rads.
I wonder if the HRR accumulates if you get different J-1's (2 years for research and 2 years for clinical). :confused:

one more thing: I am not an attorney, I am a physician. Anything I say here is the result of:
- my own limited experience with ECFMG/INS/USCIS
- experience of family members
- experience of colleagues around me
- discussions with my lawyer(s)
- my reading and interpretation of the rules

I am an educated layman. Asking me about immigration law is like asking an attorney to do an appendectomy (it can be done, but maybe not to be recommended).