Issues /Questions regarding leaving sponsoring company after getting GC

rajmash

Registered Users (C)
hey guys

Would like to know if you are your friends had any problems /issues /questions during the citizenship interview /process - regarding how long one stayed in the company that sponsored your GC - (just after getting your Green Card)

Im not sure any of you had used AC-21. but please share your or your friends experiences regarding the questioning (if any) related to these two issues.

1. How long one stayed with the sponsoring company after getting GC
- was it a major issue - the lenght of stay in the same company - after receiving ur GC

2. AC- 21 any partucualr questions on using AC-21

Last edited by a moderator:
Indeed there have been some AC21 cases here recently - not much to report, although some people were asked about employment. So far nobody seems to have run into any major issues in this area, at least not that anyone has cared to write about...

Issues/Questions regarding leaving sponsor company after GC

i am going thru the same issue
applied 485 in sept 2000
chgd jobs in april 2001
g card interview nov 2001
g card approved nov 2001

citizenship interview mar 2007

the IO asked me about how i got my GC and why i did not work for my sponsor after GC. told him the company was not doing that well and i moved to another company(subsidiary of my sponsoring co)
the IO asked if i even worked for 1day, i said no.

i passed the test but the IO said he needs to consult his supervisor and will mail their decision. its been 22 days and have not heard anything.

can i claim the 6month rule of i485 in switching jobs?

From the field manual

(C) Immigration Status . In addition to the date on which the applicant acquired permanent residence, your file review should determine the basis upon which such status was gained. In reviewing this section of the application and questioning the applicant about his or her immigration status, you may determine that the applicant was not entitled to permanent resident status at the time he or she immigrated or adjusted status. If the applicant unlawfully acquired LPR status via an immigrant visa you can place the applicant in remov al proceedings. If the applicant unlawfully adjusted status in the United States and has been a LPR for less than five years, you can rescind his/her LPR status under section 246 of the Act (see chapter 26 of this field manual). If the applicant unlawfully adjusted status in the United States and has been a permanent resident for more than five years, a five-year statute of limitations prevents you from rescinding the LPR status under section 246. However, you can still deny the naturalization application under section 318 if the applicant did not lawfully acquire permanent resident status. You should also speak to your supervisor about placing the applicant in removal proceedings. [See sections 212 , 237 , 238 , 239 , and 240 of the Act and 8 CFR 239 and 240 .]

The type of questions you ask the applicant to determine whether the applicant acquired LPR status lawfully, depends on how the applicant obtained LPR status. The following are typical examples of how an applicant may have obtained LPR status.

• Through An Employment Based Petition – An applicant obtained permanent residence through employment with a U. S. company. You should review the employment history section of the N-400 application to ensure that the I-140 petitioning employer is listed. If the petitioning employer is not listed, you should prepare questions to address this issue. Such questions might include:

– Did you ever work for the petitioner?

– How long did you work for the petitioner?

– In what capacity did you work for the petitioner?

– Why did you leave the position?

– What were you paid?

– Where did you work for the petitioner (location)?

– Where did you go or work after you left your job with the petitioner or instead of working for the petitioner?

– When did you first learn that there would not be a long-term position for you?

You should also determine whether the applicant met all of the eligibility requirements of the employment classification under which he/she was granted status. For example, did the applicant have the necessary training or experience that the labor certification required for that classification? The labor certification, which seeks to classify the applicant’s occupation as a shortage occupation, must be filed with the U. S. Department of Labor for most employment-based immigrant petitions. [See 8 CFR 204.5 . and Chapter 22 of this manual.]

the IO asked me about how i got my GC and why i did not work for my sponsor after GC. told him the company was not doing that well and i moved to another company(subsidiary of my sponsoring co)
the IO asked if i even worked for 1day, i said no.

i passed the test but the IO said he needs to consult his supervisor and will mail their decision. its been 22 days and have not heard anything.

can i claim the 6month rule of i485 in switching jobs?

Good luck reddyrx, my wishes are with you. I am in almost same boat as you. The only difference is that I worked for my sponsoring company. I had worked 2.5 years when they filed for the GC, then 4 months at the time of my interview. I left the sponsor 3 weeks after I had GC was approved.

Have you talked to any lawyer?

rajmash
know i did not file AC21
do not know much about it, is that a separte form which should have been attached to n400
also what is an infopass,
thanks for your help

koolvik7
No, i did not talk to a lawyer yet. waiting to see what the outcome is before i do that.

You are a hero, we salute you

I agree with you Ingrantperson. Reddyrx faced USCIS when odds were set against him, did not consult an attorney, candidly answered that he had not worked for the employer (a single day) when asked.

Also, thanks for posting your experience on the forum reddyrx. Many people often choose to disappear from the forum after an experience like yours. They simply put things on the hands of their attorney, you on the other hand shared your interview (and results) and enriched this forum with your experience.

Thank you, Congratulations, and Good luck