Is USCIS outsourced?

Freemann

Registered Users (C)
Hi, all!

I have a million-dollar question: Is USCIS customer service center outsourced?

I called 1-800 number the other day to ask about my I-485 case pending since August, 2005. As many people have warned, I didn't get what I wanted. So my fear is that the representative may not work in the US.

During conversations and after I hung up, I felt like I talked with some one outside the US. Here are some clues: (a) she doesn't know that ID is a short name for Idaho state. (b) she doesn't know what the name check is. (c) she doesn't know what FBI stands for. and (d) she doesn't sound like a native speaker. Of course, I am fully aware that some americans may satisfy one or all of the above four conditions. Did anyone have a similar suspicion?

I just hope one day that we would be better served.

Probably they are USCIS Sub-Contractor working on our cases.They still have a lot to learn. Hehe!

Last edited by a moderator:
It's too sad!

Jhawilla,

I am very sad that the representatives there are not so knowledgeable. I am thinking I would move to Lincoln, Nebraska to work for USCIS once I got my green card. :)

I think you need US Citizenship before apply for USCIS job.

CITIZENSHIP: Under Executive Order 11935, only United States citizens and
nationals (residents of American Samoa and Swains Island) may compete for civil
service jobs. Agencies are permitted to hire non-citizens only in very limited
circumstances where there are no qualified citizens available for the position.

Last edited by a moderator:
Freemann said:
(c) she doesn't know what FBI stands for.

If the person who answered the phone didn't know what "FBI" stands for, then it's amazing that they were even able to dress themselves in the morning, drive a car to work, and use some kind of phone system in dealing with enquiries like yours. It's both funny and tragic.

Freemann, I had the same experience, however there's hope. See this thread:
http://www.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?t=215932
and look at Toxsci's pdf document. Using his method I was able to directly get to CSC and TSC yesterday. People there are more knowledgeable and sometimes even friendly :).

In fact there's also a phone number for the FBI on it. I called and chatted with a friendly lady about my finger prints.

Note: If your case was transferred to the present service center from another service center, then simply change the letter prefix. Otherwise the system will automatically transfer you where the case was originally filed (in my case CSC and later transferred to TSC). Hope this helps get you going and you get what you wanted.

Freemann said:
I called 1-800 number the other day to ask about my I-485 case pending since August, 2005. As many people have warned, I didn't get what I wanted. So my fear is that the representative may not work in the US.
I just hope one day that we would be better served.

Thanks!

gc_2006,

Thank you so much for the valuable information! I downloaded the pdf file and I found it very helpful. I filed I-485 to NSC (details in the signature below) and therefore unfortunately I have no direct phone line to call about the name check status.

The representative at USCIS said that I would hear something from them within 30 days. So I am thinking I will wait for couple of weeks to hear some news. In the meantime, I will contact senator in my state and also FBI.

Thanks again for your great help! I really appreciate it!

----------
04/01/05, I-140 EB-2 NIW Filed (NSC; Korean citizen).
07/29/05, I-140 Approved.
08/19/05, I-485 Receipt Date.
02/01/06, Code-3 Fingerprinting (LUD:02/02/06 with no message change).
07/21/06, Called USCIS to ask about I-485 status.

Yes, the 800# you call is managed and staffed by a private company. The calls go to Kansas. The phone agents have the same access to the case status as you have through the web. If your call is escalated, then you will talk to an actual USCIS employee with more access to the cases.

However, the company that has been handling these calls for the past few years has lost the contract and a new private company will start answering the calls in a few months.

what do you mean by

cfiler,

Thanks for your explanation. Now it makes a lot of sense. I have a question for you. You said " If your call is escalated, then you will talk to an actual USCIS employee with more access to the cases.". What do you mean by "case is escalated"?

I would appreciate your answer!

----------
04/01/05, I-140 EB-2 NIW Filed (NSC; Korean citizen).
07/29/05, I-140 Approved.
08/19/05, I-485 Receipt Date.
02/01/06, Code-3 Fingerprinting (LUD:02/02/06 with no message change).
07/21/06, Called USCIS to ask about I-485 status; about to contact senator and FBI.