Is traveling to Cuba or Vietnam affecting N400?

Well, I'm sure it would probably be oke from Canada, but if people are afraid of air-travel records, then boats would be the next option.

Since the US state department doesn't have access to air-travel records for people leaving Canada to Cuba, that fear sounds unfounded. And how does marine travel overcome this fear?

Marine travel still requires you to go through customs the same way airtravel does.

I think that air travel is recorded in a much more detailed database, since you have to buy a ticket using your full name and airlines are part of an international organization that regulates that (IATA).
I'm no expert in marine travel, but I don't think it's so sophisticated.

Many Canadians with dual citizenships will do this. They leave the US to Canada and fly from Canada to Cuba using their Canadian passorts.

It is understandable.

Basically only peopel from third world countries are so cared that they will lose
US GC or potential citizenbship etc. People from other developed countries like Canada care much less about US GC and citizenship. If they lose GC, they will pack up and leave. It is still a big deal but not as big as a deal for peopel from other countries.

I think that air travel is recorded in a much more detailed database, since you have to buy a ticket using your full name and airlines are part of an international organization that regulates that (IATA).
I'm no expert in marine travel, but I don't think it's so sophisticated.

I've been on several cruises in the last few years and they have always requested my passport and GC number when you buy for the tickets. Of course, if you're taking a dingy boat from the Caribbean that could be a different story.

Since the US state department doesn't have access to air-travel records for people leaving Canada to Cuba, that fear sounds unfounded. And how does marine travel overcome this fear?

The US govt has access to the passenger manifest of all flights flying over
US airspace. Flights from Canada to Cuba will have to fly in US airspace
most of the time. Since such flights are international, you're nationality is
identified on the manifest. If the US govt sees a US citizen on the list and
decide to investigate, you're toast.....(unless you have prior permission)

This issue has been extensively discussed on FlyerTalk.com.

I personally do NOT agree with the embargo on Cuba, but it is the law.
Don't like the law? Write or talk to your congressmen and convince them
to change it. :)

The US govt has access to the passenger manifest of all flights flying over
US airspace. Flights from Canada to Cuba will have to fly in US airspace
most of the time. Since such flights are international, you're nationality is
identified on the manifest. If the US govt sees a US citizen on the list and
decide to investigate, you're toast.....(unless you have prior permission)

Well if you're a dual citizen and travel on your foreign passport then it shouldn't be an issue, right?

Well if you're a dual citizen and travel on your foreign passport then it shouldn't be an issue, right?

The US Govt doesn't care if you retain your previous citizenships and even take advantage of them, but you can't claim to be a foreigner, remember?
They will treat always as a US citizen.

I personally do NOT agree with the embargo on Cuba, but it is the law.
Don't like the law? Write or talk to your congressmen and convince them
to change it. :)

Such an old law will not change because people write their congressmen. It will only change if the administration sees it politically advantageous to remove the travel restrictions to prop up the Cuban economy. That will only happen if there's a regime change in Cuba.

The US Govt doesn't care if you retain your previous citizenships and even take advantage of them, but you can't claim to be a foreigner, remember?
They will treat always as a US citizen.

While in the US, yes. But there's nothing stopping you from going to, say, Brazil and taking a flight from Brazil to Cuba on your non-US passport.

While in the US, yes. But there's nothing stopping you from going to, say, Brazil and taking a flight from Brazil to Cuba on your non-US passport.

Not being anal here, just looking at legal scenarios.
What if they ask you: "Have you been to Cuba?"
The answer is yes, otherwise is perjury.
Can you claim that you went to Cuba as an Italian/Indian/German/Mexican/Colombian/whatever and not as an American?
I don't think it works that way.

Not being anal here, just looking at legal scenarios.
What if they ask you: "Have you been to Cuba?"
The answer is yes, otherwise is perjury.
Can you claim that you went to Cuba as an Italian/Indian/German/Mexican/Colombian/whatever and not as an American?
I don't think it works that way.

Sure, it's a valid scenario. However, how many times have you ever been asked if you went to Cuba?

I'm sure if I go to Cancun and come back with two Mexican entry stamps on my foreign passport, there's a good chance I will be asked.

I fear you misunderstood me. I didn't say that you should enter the US with your foreign passport (that would be very difficult to begin with...). I said that you can travel to Brazil with your US passport, and from there to Cuba with your foreign passport. Then come back to Brazil again, and then go back to the US with your US passport. By "your" I don't necessarily mean serrebal's US passport, just a hypothetical scenario. And before I get into trouble, I'm in no way advocating either breaking the law or committing perjury. It is merely a hypothetical situation.

I fear you misunderstood me. I didn't say that you should enter the US with your foreign passport (that would be very difficult to begin with...). I said that you can travel to Brazil with your US passport, and from there to Cuba with your foreign passport. Then come back to Brazil again, and then go back to the US with your US passport. By "your" I don't necessarily mean serrebal's US passport, just a hypothetical scenario. And before I get into trouble, I'm in no way advocating either breaking the law or committing perjury. It is merely a hypothetical situation.

I understood you, but what if at some point they will want to take a look at your foreign passport? And what if you do it as a LPR with your only passport?
And I am pretty sure that they could see whatever passenger manifest on whatever commercial flight on the planet, especially after 9/11.

You wouldn't show your foreign passport to CBP so how would they know?

I'm already picturing future scenarios.
I will have (and so will my wife when she will be naturalized as an italian citizen) dual citizenship.
I will have to use my italian passport to enter italy or any EU country. No stamps on my US passport (and italian passport for that matter).
I will come back to the US using my US passport and the CBP agent asked me where I was. And he/she sees no stamp in my US passport. The issue will come up, I'm sure. Not that it's illegal and I would ask cuban immigration (hypotetically) not to stamp my italian passport either, but still...
Just playing scenarios here... I'd love to visit Cuba under this regime before it's flooded with american tourists...