Is this common -- check cashed, no receipt?

lecinq

Registered Users (C)
Hi, I sent my N400 application (FedEx) about two weeks ago. The check was cashed a few days later, but I've yet to receive a receipt from VSC.

Is this common? What do I need to do if I don't get a receipt within another week or two?

I live in NYC.

Thanks!

Thanks. I suppose the rest of the process isn't held up even if I don't get a receipt, right? I mean, I'll still get a fingerprinting notice, an interview notice (eventually), etc.?

Actually these days I don't get my canceled checks in the mail. I may have to call the bank to get a copy.

lecinq, Did you send it to Vermont. I was too wondering about the same thing. I submitted my application 2 weeks ago. I already got my cancelled checks from the bank, but no receipt letter yet.

How do I decypher the INS tracking number from the checks? What is the common tracking number format?

It takes some time

It is taking between 4-6 weeks to receive a recepit.

Don't worry, it's been discussed here before. If you applied only 2 weeks ago there's still 2-4 weeks you should wait. Remember, it is INS what you are dealing with.

In my case I received the FP notice before I got the receipt. (about 2 days)

Good luck! ...and most of all a lots of patience;)

It takes about 4-5 weeks to get the official receipt from USCIS but you can get your ESC # from the cashed check.

Hey v, yes, it was VSC (Vermont Service Center). I think that we filed around the same time -- I saw some posts from you regarding whether to staple an application, and I ended up using Acco fasteners.

Probably a computer glitch of some sort?

What a pain.

Thanks.

Oops, didn't realize that my reply crossed the others. Will wait some more. Thanks for the feedback.

Originally posted by vvrok
How do I decypher the INS tracking number from the checks? What is the common tracking number format?

Tracking number starts with ESC* followed by nine numeric digits. If on your check they have put ESC*123456, your tracking number is ESC*000123456. Hope this helps.

I got a copy of the canceled check, which is not very clear, unfortunately.

On the front of the check, I see some handwritten numbers: ESC1234567 followed by some more numbers.

On the back of the check, I see a typed number ESC007654321.

The two numbers that start with ESC are not the same.

Any ideas as to what the various numbers mean? Which one is the right one?

It's been more than three weeks and I don't have a receipt.

Thanks!

Originally posted by lecinq
I got a copy of the canceled check, which is not very clear, unfortunately.

On the front of the check, I see some handwritten numbers: ESC1234567 followed by some more numbers.

On the back of the check, I see a typed number ESC007654321.

Handwritten front number is the one to be used. My guess is each time an application comes in, they need to generate an account, and they write the number on the check. In order to check, you need to put ESC*001234567 while checking. Good luck.

I've got the same problem. I checked the handwritten notes on the cancelled checks and found something resembling the receipt number: it starts with ESC followed by 7-digit number. Total number of characters in the number is 10. When I go to the BCIS website it asks for 13-character number. I tried to zero-fill the number to get the 13-character number (between ESC and the other digits) but the number was found in the system: "Status for this Receipt Number cannot be found at this time in this automated system. Please check your case receipt number to see if it is correct." Do you know haw I can convert what is written on my check to the valid receipt number?

The format is ESC*nnnnnnnnn where '*' should follow ESC and nine digit number. If info printed on check is ESC1234567 then you must put ESC*001234567. Please let me know if this worked. Good luck.

Nope, didn't work. I will closely examine the checks tonight to see if I missed anything.

Didn't work for me either. Thanks for the suggestion. Oh well -- why am I not surprised? :)

vvrok or anyone else -- did your handwritten number at the front match the typed one at the back? Mine did not.

I tried both using the format ESC*001234567.

I did call the service line, and predictably they said that I needed to wait some more.

Thanks again.

I just looked up my number in the online status system and it has finally shown up, and it's indeed the front handwritten number that's relevant. For those who care, the number written was in the format ESC1234567. I entered ESC*001234567 to conform to the proper format that someone here suggested.

I'll wait for the notice to come in in the mail.

Thanks.

lecinq

Well, I just checked mine again with the same number (by zero-filling between ESC* and the handwritten number on the check) and my status mysteriously appeared on BCIS website! I am 100% sure that I used the same number when I tried to check the status about a week ago and it was not there. So I guess they updated the online database this week. Good luck to you and let's keep each other about the progress, because I believe our applications almost parallel

Hi vvrok, yes, I think so. I sent mine in on Jan 30 (Friday) by FedEx and the receipt date is Feb 3 (according to the website, Tuesday).

NYC here, so unless you're in NYC too, I'm sure that I'll have to wait longer than you do.

Good luck and, yes, do keep in touch! I hope that both our cases move along speedily.

lecinq,

Just an update. We just returned from vacation and found two letters from INS in our mailbox -- one for me and one for my wife -- for FP appointment, on April 9.