• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Is possible keep the GC and still working in your country

versa2007

Registered Users (C)
Hi friends:

Let me tell you that I got the Visa Immigrant, on May 21, but I feel scare of going to new country, I would like to know if is possible enter to the US, receivbe the GC and SS# , and then back to may country for a year and a half more, that is the time what I need to complete an engage that I have with my company (the place where I work).

I`ve read that is necessary pay the taxes to the Internal Revenue Services for the time that I am going to be absent of the US, anyone can explain me that??? and what about the Aplicattion for a Travel Document (I-113)???

Please this is very important

I really dont understand why people apply for the diversity lottery if a) they are scared to move to another country and b) they have made commitments to another company.

I really dont understand why people apply for the diversity lottery if a) they are scared to move to another country and b) they have made commitments to another company.

a) Most people are probably scared of doing the final step. After all, it's tough to start a new life somewhere else. So even if someone is certain that he/she will actually move, it's probably still normal to be scared.

b) Most people have some commitments in their home countries and I don't see why such people shouldn't take part in the lottery. After all: The chances of winning aren't that great so it's not like one can "plan" on winning the company (and only participating that year) exactly when the time would be best.

I do agree that people who participate should actually want to move to US permanently, but versa2007 doesn't say that he/she doesn't want to do that.

About your questions, versa2007: I'm very new at this (I'm a DV2008-winner) but as far as I know you don't have to move to US from one day to another. Most people still have ties so they just travel from their home country to US several times and try to get things started there (getting a bank account, etc.). When you enter US again you might need proof that you actually plan on moving permanently to US. If you cannot travel to US often enough, you can apply for a reentry permit (but you have to be in US to apply for that).

I can't give you any information about the taxes, etc.

Good luck!

Thank you Igmu:

Well, as you a feel a little beat scare, because I don`t have any relative in the US, I am going go but I signed a commitment before receive the first NL, where the company paid a course en the US for me, and in one year and a half this engage will finish, so I could travel to the US freely.

I am thinking in apply for the reentry permit.

But thank you for your suggestions.

When you enter US again you might need proof that you actually plan on moving permanently to US. If you cannot travel to US often enough, you can apply for a reentry permit (but you have to be in US to apply for that).

A person in question needs to prove that he/she resides in the US every time they enter the States, not that he/she is moving there permanently at some point.

Thank you LucyMo:

But how can I do if I need more time that six month to leave my country at last until november 2008, to finish a engaged that I have with my company after that I`ll be free to stay in the US permanently.

Is it possible go to the US the six month, stay for one moth there and the aplly for reentry permit ???

you will have to apply for a reentry permit when you are physically in the States. The reentry permit will give you an opportunity (not a guaranteed reentry) to stay outside the US for more than a year and less than two. You still have to file US taxes, and you cannot establish residence in another country. Read the rules for legal permanent residents on www.uscis.gov, what to do to maintain your residence. Generally, if you work in a foreign country and you are not on a temprory non-immigrant visa there - you are taking up a residence in that country.

Well I have the same problem as Versa2007

I'm DV2008. But now I know for sure, that I will not be able to move pemanently to the US during next summer. LucyMO scared me a little bit, because my plan is:

travel to the US next summer for 1 or 2 months. Obtain all necessary documents and look around the US where I would like to study, live and work.
After that I wanna return to the Europe to complete bachelor degree in EU. For year at least.

I know for sure I will not establish my residence during first travel. Is that practically problem?

I always thought, that only nonimmigrants may have problem entering US. :(
Versa2007 I will keep my fingers crossed for you.

Thank very much LucyMo but, I had understood that reentry permit allowed me stay at least one year an a half in my country, obviously I have to be when I file the formmat the next paragraph is in the format I-131

..."" You must be physically present in the United Stateswhen you file the application. However, a reentrypermit may be sent to a U.S. embassy or consulate orDepartment of Homeland Security (DHS) office abroadfor you to pick up, if you request it when you file yourapplication.
With the exception of having to obtain a returningresident visa abroad, a reentry permit does not relieveyou of any of the requirements of the United Statesimmigration laws.
If you stay outside the United States for less than oneyear, you are not required to apply for a reentry permit.You may reenter the United States on your PermanentResident Card (Form I-551)...''.

I tough it was sure, well, what I see that I am going to start keeping in my mind that my travel to the US will be soon, but I tell you I am afraid.

Thank you Ojak for crossing your fingers for me, I hope taking the best decision.

LucyMo,

Just out of my curiosity, does this mean that you can stay in your home country for five months, fly back to US and stay for two days, and go back to your home country for another five months, without any reenter permit?

Hi Friends:
I've at least found two more people who share the same problem that I face. In my case too, I have US$ 40K/ 4-year commitment with my employer that I entered into before receiving 1st NL. I am awaiting the 2nd package and hope I would receive the visa by August. As per my my agreement, I have to pay the full amount if I leave before 2 years, and on pro-rata basis thereafter.
By August I will only have completed 1-yr and I have to wait at least one more year to reduce my liability to 20K which I can afford to pay. On those circumstances, I have no option but to visit US twice with my family for 4-5 days, in November 2007 and June 2008 before going permanently there in September 2008. Still I have the risk of being rejected to allow entry as I haven't established any ties there. Unfortunately I dont see any other way out!

LucyMo,

Just out of my curiosity, does this mean that you can stay in your home country for five months, fly back to US and stay for two days, and go back to your home country for another five months, without any reenter permit?
yes, but after a time or two the immigration officer will ask you to prove that you reside in the US, and question what it is that you are doing outside of the US for so long. You CAN lose residency even if you spend less than 6 months outside the US.

I've at least found two more people who share the same problem that I face. In my case too, I have US$ 40K/ 4-year commitment with my employer that I entered into before receiving 1st NL. I am awaiting the 2nd package and hope I would receive the visa by August. As per my my agreement, I have to pay the full amount if I leave before 2 years, and on pro-rata basis thereafter.
usually the employers pay you for work performed, not the other way.

get a reentry permit. Get your family to reside in the States. It will be better for kids to adapt, to go to a high school here and get local scholarships, get American connections, etc.). Good luck, it's your decision. I have heard that proof of a temporary contract overseas that you cannot break is useful in determining the temporary nature of your visit outside the US, but I cannot confirm it.

But how can I do if I need more time that six month to leave my country at last until november 2008, to finish a engaged that I have with my company after that I`ll be free to stay in the US permanently
I think ppl are scared too much about that problem. The reentry permit was made for that things, finishing your job, organize all other things in your home country etc pp. and then relocate to the US.

LucyMO:
well, you say "you can lose residency even if you stay less than 6 months outside the US"

These messages make me afraid about my future as an immigrant :)

I've been to the US only once and I liked it very much. This is why I tried the luck in the lottery and I got NL. I've already sent all documents do KCC.

Let's take a look at my plan for coming years:
I expect my interview on GC around May 2008. Now I am 1st grader at my university and I wish to finish bachelor degree here first.
So the next year (2008) I am 2nd grader and during summer I will go to the US for 1-2 months (just for trip more less). Just to look around and get my plastic GC. After that short trip I will need to return to finish last year at school in Europe.

2009 I may receive bachelor degree and I will be free to move to the US. I wanna study there and work there.

My problem is that I won't be able to settle immediately after receiving immigrant visa. After the first "trip" to the US, I can be back within 1 year.
What can I do?

Has anybody ever had such a problem as I have?

usually the employers pay you for work performed, not the other way.

get a reentry permit. Get your family to reside in the States. It will be better for kids to adapt, to go to a high school here and get local scholarships, get American connections, etc.). Good luck, it's your decision. I have heard that proof of a temporary contract overseas that you cannot break is useful in determining the temporary nature of your visit outside the US, but I cannot confirm it.

Thaks Lucy Mo for your reply.

In fact, my emplyer has payed me that amount for my studies as a fulltime student which includes tution and a living allowance. I have to pay it back if I do not continue here.

Much safer option is keeping my family there. But, as my son is just over one year it is difficult for my wife to do a proper job. Even she does we have to pay what she can earn for day care and we want be left with anything to pay at least the cost of a decent insurance, which we will strongly need because of the child.

My original idea was to apply for a reentry permit, although the total period we will be away after the first visit is less than a year (9-10 months), giving my contract as an excuse. But my worry is when I declare that I am working for seperate country (In fact for a seperate government) it will backfire.