Is it possible to use an extend stay HOTEL address for USCIS

ChinaBuffet

Registered Users (C)
Dear friends,

I am going to stay a couple of months in an extended suite hotel. I am waiting for my GC that should arrive in 2 or 3 weeks. And I was wondering if I can use a Hotel Address for USCIS. I am worried that the gc will never arrive to me.

Thanks!!

What is your situation? Are you moving from a regular house or apartment into a hotel, and are waiting for the physical GC after I-485 approval?

Or did you recently arrive in the US with an immigrant visa, and are waiting for the physical card to be mailed?

Jacko,

Thanks for your answer.
We are moving due to job to another town for a couple of months and we are considering of staying in a suite or extended stay hotel since its difficul to find an apt just for 2 months. I am worried because I should rceive my GC during that time and I dont know if I am allowed to use hotel address.
Thanks and I hope you have some info for me

The hotel address is not a problem, as long as the hotel will accept mail for you, which is something I figure all "extended stay" hotels will do.

The problem is the mere fact that you are changing addresses when your GC may arrive, because USCIS isn't very efficient with processing address changes. But then again, maybe your GC won't arrive anytime soon. A successful interview doesn't mean your GC will be produced right away, especially if they have not given you an I-551 stamp at the interview. What type of I-485 case is it? Employment-based, marriage-based, or something else? If it is employment-based, is your priority date current at this time? Did they give you an I-551 stamp in your passport? What is the online status of your I-485?

Hi Jacko,

Thanks again for your help.
Its a marriage based case. And yes they stamped my passport and I already received the welcome letter saying that the card should arrive within 30 days...I asked the hotel and they told me that they will hod mail for me. But I don´t know why I read somewhere on the internet you shouldnt use PO BOX or Hotels address. I called the USCIS and they told me I should schedule an appointment to ask that question. I don´t undersatd why they didnt know the answer.
So I don´t know if go ahead and take the risk with the hotel or give a friends address. But I always like to pick my mail myself, and my best friends live 2-3 hours away from me.

Not sure about PO Box, but it's OK to use a friend's address or hotel address if you are actually living in the friend's place or living in the hotel. If it's a hotel, make sure you ask the front desk person how the address+room number should be worded so that the mail will be delivered to your room by the staff or held for you at the front desk, instead of the general mailbox for the hotel. I was in a situation like that before, and the address to use was somewhat different from the regular hotel address that is seen in the phone book.

The main problem with changing addresses at a time like this is that sometimes USCIS is late to process the address, and they end up sending mail to the old address. If you're going to stay in the hotel for a couple of months, you should get the GC before you leave the hotel. But if you move into the hotel soon, they might send the GC to wherever you were living right before the hotel, which would be a problem if somebody else has moved in.

The main problem with changing addresses at a time like this is that sometimes USCIS is late to process the address, and they end up sending mail to the old address. If you're going to stay in the hotel for a couple of months, you should get the GC before you leave the hotel. But if you move into the hotel soon, they might send the GC to wherever you were living right before the hotel, which would be a problem if somebody else has moved in.

Exactly this is what I think about this matter. USCIS doesn't process the change of address so rapidly especially when you are approved after interview and GC is due 2-3 weeks.

Thank you so much for your replies! I appreciateyour help.
Do you have any idea about how much time usually takes for the USCIS to process the change address?

Thanks again

Thank you so much for your replies! I appreciateyour help.
Do you have any idea about how much time usually takes for the USCIS to process the change address?
Give them at least a couple weeks. Possibly a month.

However, they are so sloppy with the changes that sometimes even 2-3 months later they still send mail to the old address, even after they already sent some other mail to the new address!