Is it possible for an US resident to work for same employer in Canada?

Semi-conc'nt 04

Registered Users (C)
I work for a large Company - based in the US, Canada, and the UK. There is a project - an opportunity that requires me to travel (probably, multiple times and for extended periods) to Calgary, Canada. My q's:

a) will I need a work permit (from the Immigration authority in Canada)?

b) will my residency status (with regard to naturalization) be affected?

Thanks.

Thank you, RealCanadian.

a) Section 5.2 (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/fw/fw01e.pdf, Page 13 of 178) seems to allow "Business Vistors" - employees from/for the same Company, and if they will continue to be paid in the US.
...is this correct/accurate?

b) I have been given to understand that I would be required for 3 weeks at a stretch, followed by a week off (in the US). Did you mean to say that I need to ensure that I reside in the US, longer than the time spent outside (in a calender year)?

Thanks, again.

There is a difference between a business visitor and a transferee. You need to clarify what your relationship to the US firm will be: are you simply going up to help on a short-term project, continuing to be paid by the US firm, or are you transferring to the Cdn company (they are separate).

The latter case would require a Visa, but would be easy to obtain.

The latter case would also require that you be sure to maintain as many US ties as possible, and visit regularly, as was mentionned.

I work for a large Company - based in the US, Canada, and the UK. There is a project - an opportunity that requires me to travel (probably, multiple times and for extended periods) to Calgary, Canada. My q's:

a) will I need a work permit (from the Immigration authority in Canada)?

b) will my residency status (with regard to naturalization) be affected?

Thanks.

I do this on a weekly basis these days

a) yes, get a work permit. very easy to obtain at the airport if you have an employer letter
b) That depends. If you are planning to give up your residence in the US and transfer to the Canadian office/compnay, then yes there will be an impact on Naturalization. But if you are like 100's of consultants that cross the border for a few days each week or for a couple of weeks, and then return home to the US, then you should be fine.

Good Luck