is arrange marriage acceptable?how soon to apply?

d_1982

Registered Users (C)
Hello,

I want to know if U.S embassy accepts arrange marriage, and how do they view this?

Does arrange marriage have more solid proof or seems that marriage have taken place in good faith or intentions then self love marriage commited by couples?

Is it OKAY to apply/submit applications to bring your spouse like 1 month or like 3 weeks after the marriage date? is that good to apply ASAP? or should we wait atleast a month or 2?

Please reply back if you have any knowledge or have been through this situations in past:)

well offcourse he does, but does u.s embassy accepts this since it will be arrange marriage.

An arranged marriage with a US citizen who is over 65 is extremely rare, so one should expect some difficulty in trying to convince the officer that the marriage is genuine and is not just a convenient way to get a green card for a friend.

as you said " so one should expect some difficulty trying to convince the officer that the marriage is genuine and is not just a convenient way to get a green card for a freind " meanings to show enough proof of arrange marriage from relatives that marriage is genuine?

I have no idea what would have to be done to convince the interviewer. It would be like trying to sell ice to an Eskimo in Alaska in January.

I don't think it's ok. The whole point of marriage based GC's is a true, loving marriage. If they accepted arranged marriages all their standards for approval go out the window.

Please dont scare that guy . I have known friends from INdia who have got theuir green card through arranged marriages.Please go through USCIS pages where they mention that arranged marriages are accepted only if its a culturally quite common and if you are from india its quite common and I am sure INS knows about these thinsg .If you have enough proof for bonafide marraige and 100s of people attending your wedding as usually teh case is in india< i dont think they can reject it.Moreover if u can fall in love online y cant u fall in love with the person they arranged for you . I am sure you guys have went out before getting married.

I agree with smiriyal that you look on the uscis website, you should be able to find answers in the general section about family based immigration and forms and notes for I-130 and I-129F. With arranged marriages you usually have to prove it is a cultural tradition (ie. required by religion etc.) and would be a bona fide marriage, however as smiriyal said USCIS are used to dealing with thiese types of cultural cases.

I am also going to stress that alot of people may be unhappy with the thought of an arranged marriage. Especially as in the western world, it is mostly seen as morally wrong, but i would like to stress to everyone, that not all cultures abide by the same morals, and something we see as morally wrong may be moral right to eastern cultures and vis versa, and whilst i don't personally agree with arranged marriages myself, i understand that in some cultures it is the cultural norm, so am not going to judge you, that is for USCIS to do and USCIS alone.

Tinkerbell,
I am sure USCIS has its ways to weed out "arranged marriages for greencard purpose" and genuine "culturally arranged marriages".
IF i Were USCIS I would see if they belong to same community ,same language spoken,conversations and correspondence before marriage,details of cultural functions like engagement ceremony, bridal shower number of people attending the wedding, proof of arranged marriages being a common norm in that society and their lasting nature and hey what the heck! I am giving them only a conditional residence as I would do to a couple who meet online and get married in vegas the next week.
The thing is from where I come from Love marriages are still a taboo and looked down upon you can't just shake ur culture off and go against your parents wishes just for a green card.So I totally agree with you let USCIS be the judge not us .. and not try to scare the poor soul as such the Immigration process is very daunting .

Tinkerbell,
I am sure USCIS has its ways to weed out "arranged marriages for greencard purpose" and genuine "culturally arranged marriages".
IF i Were USCIS I would see if they belong to same community ,same language spoken,conversations and correspondence before marriage,details of cultural functions like engagement ceremony, bridal shower number of people attending the wedding, proof of arranged marriages being a common norm in that society and their lasting nature and hey what the heck! I am giving them only a conditional residence as I would do to a couple who meet online and get married in vegas the next week.
The thing is from where I come from Love marriages are still a taboo and looked down upon you can't just shake ur culture off and go against your parents wishes just for a green card.So I totally agree with you let USCIS be the judge not us .. and not try to scare the poor soul as such the Immigration process is very daunting .

totally agreed.

It sounds like it IS for green card purposes, she asked if they can submit the paperwork right away. Just by the way she worded it, it sounds that way. Also, my mothers first marriage at 20 was an arranged marriage in India. They then moved to Canada where she met my father. I would ask why can't the US citizen move there then if it's not about the GC, if I was an IO. Knowing how arranged marriages go, seeing as my mother told me all about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Please dont scare that guy . I have known friends from INdia who have got theuir green card through arranged marriages.
I bet none of those friends were sponsored by a US citizen over 65 years old collecting Social Security with no other income (this info is from other threads started by the same poster). Which family would arrange for their daughter to go into a marriage like that, if money is not changing hands as part of the deal, and no other shady tactics are involved?

Arranged marriages are perfectly acceptable, as long as they are bonafide. Contrary to popular belief, "love" does not need to be proven between a couple if order to declare the marriage bonafide.

I don't think it's ok. The whole point of marriage based GC's is a true, loving marriage.

Well to ME, a true marriage is a loving marriage, that was entered into to be together, not get a GC. otherwise, it's not a "true" marriage. Only my opinion.

Arranged marriages are perfectly acceptable, as long as they are bonafide. Contrary to popular belief, "love" does not need to be proven between a couple if order to declare the marriage bonafide.

Thanks

Wow so many replies and so many thanks to all of you:eek:
I agree with people who support and comes from background where arrange marriages are bonafide specialy in south asia even in africa not only to that but even in u.s if you go to red-indian tribes they also comes from this background and still follows that path " i mean not all " but after all its all cultural and how you grew up it might sound weird to western world. anyways i just wanted to know if they'll accept it or not.

Jackolantern
Which family would arrange for their daughter to go into a marriage like that, if money is not changing hands as part of the deal, and no other shady tactics are involved?

lolz A family* who comes from the exact background the one i just explained it above:) and the ones explained by others (tinkerbelluk, smiriyal, MOM1211's mother have done it):p , and thats not a girl thats a woman, his bride is a freind of U.S citizen's sister.

MOM1211
It sounds like it IS for green card purposes, she asked if they can submit the paperwork right away. Just by the way she worded it, it sounds that way. Also, my mothers first marriage at 20 was an arranged marriage in India. They then moved to Canada where she met my father. I would ask why can't the US citizen move there then if it's not about the GC, if I was an IO. Knowing how arranged marriages go, seeing as my mother told me all about it.

Excuse me who is she? what you talking about? as per your statement concerned its not " she " its " he " my uncle who is into 60 and his bride is 58 both are widow and my uncle wants everything done ASAP* not bride* so he can enjoy some good times in this age, he stayed lonely since last 4+yrs (filing to USCIS is not asked by bride who is overseas):) and NO he is not ready to move there only occasional visits wont hurt but not permanently because he have kids in u.s and he gets all his benefits here:)

Triple Citizen

BINGO, thats the answer i was looking for that it is accepted even thou canadian immigration accepts them now i know thanks alot Triple for clearing that up:)

P.S Thanks tinkerbelluk and smiriyal for clarifying that info on USCIS website.

BINGO, thats the answer i was looking for that it is accepted even thou canadian immigration accepts them now i know thanks alot Triple for clearing that up:)
US immigration has accepted arranged marriages for a long time. But they have to be convinced the marriage is bona fide. They are aware of certain cultures where arranged marriages are common, but a sixty-something year old US citizen entering a bona fide arranged marriage, and a foreign woman entering an arranged marriage with somebody that age, is very rare so it would be harder to convince the immigration authorities.

US immigration has accepted arranged marriages for a long time. But they have to be convinced the marriage is bona fide. They are aware of certain cultures where arranged marriages are common, but a sixty-something year old US citizen entering a bona fide arranged marriage, and a foreign woman entering an arranged marriage with somebody that age, is very rare so it would be harder to convince the immigration authorities.

Jackolantern: Let me put the date of your post: 13th May 2009, 01:51 AM

What are you talking in this date and time? World has gone far ahead to accept even gay marriages. Wake up and get drenched in to reality.
As long as marriage is bonafine(carries a marriage certificate from local competant authority), UCSIC wouldn't care if it is love-marriage, arranged-marriage, platonic marriage, hate-marriage, fighting marriage, dowry-marriage, donation-marriage, age difference marriage, old marriage, young marriage.

I feel some of the posters just post whatever pops in their head. Lot of irrational and off topic advice/suggestions. Please refrain from posting if you don't have good/helpful suggestions. I doubt people come here for entertainment. They have genuine concerns and hope someone will give valuable advice based on their experience or knowledge. I appreciate all you guys making time for this forum but at the same time be a little nurturing. Thanks:)

As long as marriage is bonafine(carries a marriage certificate from local competant authority), UCSIC wouldn't care if it is love-marriage, arranged-marriage, platonic marriage, hate-marriage, fighting marriage, dowry-marriage, donation-marriage, age difference marriage, old marriage, young marriage.

This makes no sense. Read this forum for a while, and look how many couples go through Stokes Interviews and other anti-fraud measures. Yet every single one of them has a marriage certificate from a competent legal authority. If what you say is true, why does this happen?

The fact remains that while the issuance of a marriage certificate is prima facie evidence of a valid marriage, it is by no means the only proof required in all cases. The validity of the marriage is required for an I-130 to be approved, and in the case of a consular interview it is a question of fact solely in the discretion of the consul.