IRS AND CITIZENSHIP AFTER INTERVIEW

Dnn

Hi everyone,

I need some help

I had my citizenship interview 3 weeks ago , everything went well and my background is clean ,waiting for my approval and oath ceremony letter but yesterday I received a Mail from IRS saying I have to owe money to IRS for year 2015. It may affect my citizenship process? My application can be denied because of that issues after interview?

Please help.

Thanks

Look, I think you should be up front during/before your Oath and tell them that you received the letter and promise to pay it off. Hopefully they still let you take the Oath. If it is a small amount, take the letter with you - and tell them you will pay it off.

Worst thing you can do is fail to disclose this to USCIS, and you have this hanging over your head for the entire future - the very very small, but nonetheless real possibility of them stripping you of your Citizenship.

I had a small amount of State Taxes I owed during my Interview - I told them about it, and they didn't even care.

Let us know how it goes.

Just read the other thread you posted in. I think writing a check to the IRS for the amount you owe (you can dispute this later if you want to) - and show the USCIS people a copy of the check and the IRS letter.