Intl. travel between Interview & Oath Ceremony

karkhak

Registered Users (C)
Hi Everyone:

I have my interview scheduled in Newark on Tuesday next week. However, I have to travel (international) for a 4 week trip 2 days after the interview.

My question is as follows:

If I don't get to take the Oath ceremony the same day, does anyone know if I can travel using my GC?. In other words can I travel (international) in the time period between the interview and the oath ceremony?

Does anyone have an idea how many days after interview you get a notice for oath ceremony?

Is there a chance that I will have a issue entering the US again if they see that I have applied for a citizenship and am travelling using my Green Card?

Any help/advice is appreciated.

Thanks

--Kiran

If you are travelling to India:

Keep an eye out on the dual CZ thing happenning. you may be able to get ur USC and retain Ind passport. Dual CZ Bill is expected to become law next week.

You may be able to expedite passport issue (someone on this forum got his passport in 1 day). If you are travelling to India,
you may want to consier

1) Travelling to India in your Indian passport (assuming u are indian)
2) If you have ur oath on interview day itself, u can reenter the US
with the Cert of Natz.

Just my 2 cents

If you are travelling to India:

Keep an eye out on the dual CZ thing happenning. you may be able to get ur USC and retain Ind passport. Dual CZ Bill is expected to become law next week.

---- As discussed earlier, Indian Dual Citizenship is just another name for a glorified visa.and one need to apply in order to get it, once it become a law and the rules finalized. You can't use the old indian passport to travel to India.

You may be able to expedite passport issue (someone on this forum got his passport in 1 day). If you are travelling to India,
you may want to consier

1) Travelling to India in your Indian passport (assuming u are indian)
---You can't use the old indian passport to travel to India, once you become a US citizen

2) If you have ur oath on interview day itself, u can reenter the US
with the Cert of Natz.
---Cert of Natz is not enough to enter US. You need US passport to enter US if you are a US citizen

---- As discussed earlier, Indian Dual Citizenship is just another name for a glorified visa
ggmanish,

The idea that the Indian Dual Citizenship is just a glorified visa is incorrect.
Even the PIO offers the following benefits.

* No visa required for visiting India.

* No separate “Student Visa” or “Employment Visa” required for admissions in Colleges/Institutions or for taking up employment respectively.

* A PIO Card holder will be exempt from the requirement of registration if his stay on any single visit in India does not exceed 180 days.

* In the event of continuous stay in India of the PIO Card holder exceeding 180 days, he/she shall have to get himself/herself registered within 30 days of the expiry of 180 days with the concerned Foreigners Regional Registration Officer / Foreigners Registration Officer

* Parity with non-resident Indians in respect of facilities available to the latter in economic, financial and educational field.

* All PIOs including PIO Card holders shall enjoy parity with NRIs in respect of all facilities in the matter of acquisition, holding, transfer and disposal of immovable properties in India except in maters relating to the acquisition of agricultural/plantation properties. No parity shall be allowed in the sphere of political rights.

* Facilities available to children of NRIs for getting admission to educational institutions in India including medical colleges, engineering colleges, Institute of Technology, Institute of Management, etc. under the general categories.

* Facilities available under the various housing scheme of LIC, State Government and other Government Agencies.

* Special counters at the immigration check posts for speedy clearance.

Does anyone have an idea how many days after interview you get a notice for oath ceremony?
In Newark NJ, generally the interview and oath are on the same day. At least about a dozen of my friends had that way. There are some places where you could apply for the passport on the same day (they are open up to 7:30 PM or more). I needed I will post those details.
If you are ready with the passport application from (It is just one page and available on line in PDF (fillable form)), you could apply for expedited processing and with some luck could get the US passport in a day or two

before this turns into an ndian dual citizenship thread ..

Even the PIO offers the following benefits.

---- Thats what my point is, dual citizenship will be just a PIo Card, which is essentially a combination of all the visas 9 Student / Employment / Tourist )

* No visa required for visiting India.

* No separate “Student Visa” or “Employment Visa” required for admissions in Colleges/Institutions or for taking up employment respectively.

* A PIO Card holder will be exempt from the requirement of registration if his stay on any single visit in India does not exceed 180 days.

- even now on Entry / tourist Visa you are not required to register for trips less than 180 days.

* In the event of continuous stay in India of the PIO Card holder exceeding 180 days, he/she shall have to get himself/herself registered within 30 days of the expiry of 180 days with the concerned Foreigners Regional Registration Officer / Foreigners Registration Officer

* Parity with non-resident Indians in respect of facilities available to the latter in economic, financial and educational field.

* All PIOs including PIO Card holders shall enjoy parity with NRIs in respect of all facilities in the matter of acquisition, holding, transfer and disposal of immovable properties in India except in maters relating to the acquisition of agricultural/plantation properties. No parity shall be allowed in the sphere of political rights.

* Facilities available to children of NRIs for getting admission to educational institutions in India including medical colleges, engineering colleges, Institute of Technology, Institute of Management, etc. under the general categories.

* Facilities available under the various housing scheme of LIC, State Government and other Government Agencies.

* Special counters at the immigration check posts for speedy clearance.

-- All others are jsut cosmetic benifits, which are available today alto all NRIs and PIOs irrespective of whether one has PIO card or not.

-- All others are jsut cosmetic benifits, which are available today alto all NRIs and PIOs irrespective of whether one has PIO card or not.
I don't think all these are available to foreign citizens. Once you get the USC, you are no longer NRI. As per law you are supposed to change your status on all your records in india from NRI to USC. This includes bank accounts.

Read this..

NON-RESIDENT INDIAN ( NRI )

An Indian citizen or a foreign citizen of Indian origin who stays abroad for employment/carrying on business or vocation or under circumstances indicating an intention for an uncertain duration of stay abroad is a NON-RESIDENT INDIAN ( NRI ). ( Those who stay abroad on business visit, medical treatment, study or such other purposes which do not indicate an intention to stay there for an indefinite period will not be considered as NRIs. Students who go abroad for studies with an intention to stay there for an uncertain period and who stayed abroad for more than 180 days in the preceding financial year will be treated as Non Resident Indians).

FOREIGN CITIZEN OF INDIAN ORIGIN

For the purposes of availing of the facilities of opening and maintenance of bank accounts , a foreign citizen (but not a citizen of Pakistan or Bangladesh) is deemed to be of Indian Origin, if he, at any time was an Indian citizen or either of his parents or any of his grandparents was a citizen of India. A spouse (not being a citizen of Pakistan or Bangladesh) of an NRI is also treated as an NRI for the above purposes. For investments in shares/securities in India, a foreign citizen (but not a citizen of Pakistan, Bangladesh or Sri Lanka) is deemed to be of Indian Origin, subject to satisfaction of the other conditions above. For investments in immovable properties, a foreign citizen (but not a citizen of Pakistan, Bangladesh, Afghanistan, Bhutan, Nepal or Sri Lanka) is deemed to be of Indian Origin, if he, at any time, was an Indian citizen or his father or paternal grandfather was an Indian citizen.

Could you pl let me know the source pl?. Is it a GOI publication? What about Govt. Pension? If a person becomes an USC, what will happen to his pension from Govt. of India?