Interview & results?

Karthic

Registered Users (C)
My case was transferred to Chicago INS this January.
RD is Nov 2001
1st FP Jan 2002
2nd FP Oct 2003
I am on my 3rd EAD and AP.

Recently I got news that my wife's inteview is scheduled for next week and mine for the middle of January 2004. Her case is derivative or dependent on mine. Technically shouldn't I be having my interview first?
In any case I wanted to check on the questions asked during interview process and the subsquent process itself. I have been hearing horror stories of people having to wait for several months even after the interview. Could someone help me with more info/details(like the type of questions, stamping time period...etc)
Certainly appreciate all the info.
Thanks

If your lawyer is in the locale of the INS office, try to ask him/her to contact the local office for you and have both interviews (yours and your wife's) together. THis way they would not delay her approval pending on yours.

If not, try to accompany her to the interview and be prepared with papers for both of you. Ask the officer to interview you both so that she would not be waiting on you. This might work if the same officer is handling both cases.

Do not worry too much about the interview.

It is a simple matter, just be confident and prepared with all the documents they asked you to bring in the appopintment letter. As far as I rememebr they should be:

1- the appointment letter,
2- tax returns for past three years,
3- employment letter,
4- ........ etc....

At the interview the will ask you few simple questions (under aoth) to verify the information on your file. LIke, name, address, have you been arrested, etc...

This is the standard interview. I cannot tell you everything they might ask because every case is different. They may ask for details of something specific about your case.

In general it should be about 20 minutes if your case is clear. At the end of the interview, they may (or may not) stamp your passport. If they do, that will be the end of your troubles. If they do not stamp the passport, they may tell you to get other documents, or wait for security check. In either case you should be fine.

Very very few get denied at the interview. To be denied you have to have commited fraud on one of the applications, or other major thing.

Bottomline be cool, and do not worry

Hello Wella
Thanks for your inputs and reply. I think that the same officer is going to interview both my wife and I. Also they have asked me to accompany her( as she is a dependant).
Hopefully both of us will get it stamped on the same day.
Thanks

In line with my interview for I-485.... I had a question.
I moved to a different job( same title, job description...etc) using my portability clause. If the INS officer asks about my job change.. what would be a safe answer to give?

If your lawyer will accompany you, he should take care of this question for you. He would know the legal language better.

If not, it is not a big deal anyway. Prepare documentation that shows that you have switched employers after the approval of the I-140 and after the I-485 being pending for more than 180 days. Of course I would not volunteer any information unless specifically asked\. Also take along a copy of the AC21 law just in case the officer is not familiar with the law.

Good luck

Question!

Hi Karthic

Can you tell me your receipt Date in November.

Mine is also in November. I am still waiting to hear for interview.

My Details:

RD: 11/27/2001
ND:12/04/2001
TD: 04/23/2003

thanks

I think my RD is Nov 09, 2001. I went to the local INS office to enquire about my case. At that time, the indicated that I would have to wait another 5-6 months..and also send me a letter to that effect. Then within a week, i got my interview call. I am really confused and amazed by the way INS works. But I think if you go in person and enquire about your case, there are chances that it will move forward.
There is no gaurntee..but it is worth a try.
Hope this helps.

Thanks!

Hi Karthic,

Thanks for your advices.

Any way i am planning to go to Chicago USCIS on monday to extend my EAD,Since they didn't send any appointment time for EAD even after 90 days of apply.
And also my EAD expires on Jan 01' 2004

I will also check my status of I-485.

Thanks

Very good point

Karthic has made a very good point, imitate the processes either by an inquiry at local office or by correspondence.

In my case also I sent them a letter regarding my change of job. They sent me a letter in confirmation to the receipt of my letter and also mentioned that within 90 days they will have some results.

Goo luck!

immiIL - EAD Extension

immiIL,

Did u receive your EAD extension ? The reason I'm asking is that I'm also (almost) in the same boat as you. Am also planning to go by 22nd Dec, since my EAD expires in 1st week of Jan 04.

Were there any problems ?

How early did u have to reach there ?

Thanks,
lastmohican

Yes, I did get my EAD extension on the 15th of this month. My EAD expired on the 11th of this month...but then I got a letter to come over for the EAD. You have to take your previous EAD card & photo ID. They will call your name, ask you to sign in a piece of paper( which has your details), pose for a photo shoot up and then again wait for few minutes, before they laminate the EAD card and give it to you.
I changed jobs after being in my original one for 18 months( using my portability clause). Would you know how to answer the question, on why I changed jobs...if this question comes up in the interview.
Any inputs would be appreciated.
Thanks

EAD Extension!

Hi lastMohican,

I did get my EAD extension.
I went on Monday- 15th dec, they didn't issue Extension of EAD as i forgot to take the Copy of Cashed Moneyorder

But i went again on Tuesday with the Copy of Cashed Money order, i got my extension in Half hour.

Monday - I went to the INS at 7AM, But there is so much of crowd. My advice (Not only mine, one of officer also told) is Do not go on Monday.
Better to go on Tuesday or other days.

Tuesday - As i have to fly to different place I' been at the INS 6AM. They open the Public Entrance door at 7AM.

we are the first persons for EAD on Tuesday.

Do not go With out a copy of Cashed Money order, old EAD Card, Driver's License(or Some other ID)

Thanks

EAD Extension

Hi immiIL,

Congrats on the renewal and Thanx for the response !

I do have a concern, though !

I applied via my attorney, to the Nebraska Service Center. So all I have is the receipt notice for the EAD renewal. I do NOT have the copy of the Money Order/Cashier's Check. In my case would the receipt be enough ?

Frankly, I'm not even sure whether my EAD renewal has got transferred to Chicago, I know that my I-485 has got transferred.

Also, were you asked to show/prove that it has been more than 90 days since your EAD renewal application ?

Still, looks like the process was straight forward.

Thanks
lastmohican

Karthic,

You can change a job legally by using AC21. But about reasons, please review in Chicago transfers thread. There you may find it. or Check with your lawyer.

lastMohican,

I am not sure whether you will get with receipt notice. The main thing which i notice is they are very keen about the payment date.
If they issue then they might ask to pay you again. In that case you can pay either Personal Check or Money order only.

Yes,they did check the payment or cashed date on the copy of cashed money order and also they are very keen about 90days also.

The officer told me that they need a
* Proof of either Copy of Cashed money order OR
* Employment letter saying They will terminate job incase donot have Valid EAD.
But this employment letter proof they accept only if the EAD is going to expire in 2 or 3 days.

(This they told me because Monday i went with out a Copy of Cashed receipt. But with out this proof, the informtion center people won't allow to meet officers. I did manage some how to approach to the officers.)

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Got it stamped

Receipt date:Nov 2001
Interview Date: Dec 18,2003

I went in for the interview today and finally got my passport stamped. Thanks all, for your help.
Following are the inputs I have further to my interview:
1]
My wife and I were scheduled on different dates( mine was 20 days later). As we are expecting a baby around my interview time, we requested to be interviewed today. The officer was very nice and obliged to interview us.
2]
Was asked the standard questions( tax returns, employment letter, EAD card...etc)
3]
Please take copies of your tax returns---since I didn't take one, I had to give my originals. Now I have to ask for duplicate copies from IRS.
4]
If any of you are wearing glasses, do not pics with glasses on. I had to walk down to walgreens to take another passport size picture without glasses on.
5]
I only had my affidavit as against my birth certificate. The officer asked for Non availability certificate. I didn't have it...but then I had a letter from Chicago Indian counsalate, which basically reiterates that "based on my passport, my date of birth is so & so".
The officer read the letter and asked me if she could keep it..that solved the problem of non availability.
If any of you don't have non- availability, it may be a good idea to go to the Indian counsalate, pay 20$, and get this letter. The info is there on the Indian embassy web site.
6]
It is a good idea to alert your HR manager/boss that he/she may be getting a call from the INS officer verifying your employment. In my case the officer called my boss...luckily my boss answered right.
7]
I am also guessing that it depends on the mood of the officer... the officers next door to mine was giving a tough time to his candidates.
8]
In general if your records are clean, it should be a smooth sail.

Good luck to all.

Congrats!

Congratulations Karthic for your Approval and thanks for your valuable inputs.

I just have a question. My last year tax returns are less than the salary stated on Labor application.
Did you face any questions on the Tax returns?

Thanks

With reference to tax returns being lower than the one stated on labor, I am not sure how the officer will react to it. In my case, I didn't have a problem because, my application was EB1, where one doesn't have to go through labor stage.
I would guess that it depends on the mood of the officer. In my case the officer didn't even go through the tax returns forms.
I am sorry that I am not able to give any valuable input in this. Might be a good idea to take your lawyer along with you. The first question, you will be asked at the front desk is..is your lawyer accompanying you or are you waiting for your lawyer to join you.
Once your name is called by the officer, you will have to sign a lawyer waiver form...basically which states that you have been shown all your rights and whatever answer you are giving is at your own will and knowledge....to which they can hold you( in case of a confusion).
Hence if you are not confident about your situation, please ask your lawyer to accompany you.

Congratulations Karthic

Is you case EB1-OR or EA.
Did they ask you any questions regarding job change. Your interview experience pertaining this will be of great help to all.
Thank you

Congratulations Karthic

Is you case EB1-OR or EA.
Did they ask you any questions regarding job change. Your interview experience pertaining this will be of great help to all.
Thank you