Interview at San Jose, CA

GeorgeF

Registered Users (C)
Hello all,

Since this kind of feedback appears to be in demand on this board, here is how my interview went today:

First, let me say one thing: From what I gathered over the months here and from my own experience… don’t worry. They are there to give you the citizenship and unless you give them a major reason not to, they will give it to you.
Don’t worry about minor mistakes on your application and in my opinion don’t waste your time getting documentation about paid traffic tickets from courts or whatever. It’s not important.

Here’s how it went:
Waited in the room for about 1 hour past the scheduled time. I’ve waited for years, so one hour doesn’t make any difference. I was called-in, sworn in and then the officer explained to me the whole process. He told me that he would go over the application and then ask me some questions and that I shouldn’t be worried about anything.
The officer then went over the application. We filled the name change form. (I requested a middle name since I don’t have any :). He then went through the N400 form and verified some information… not a big deal.

Here come the traffic tickets:
I answered “Yes” to questions 15 and 16 on page 8. I explained that I thought minor traffic violation was an offense for which I wasn’t arrested. He noted that it was an interesting reasoning but that it wasn’t what they were looking for. He said that all very calmly with a smile on his face. Then the officer asked me whether I was ever arrested, detained, handcuffed and after I answered “no” to all of those questions he changed the answer to question 15 on my form to NO. Running the red light, even a speeding is not what they are looking for.

I was then given 10 question out of those hundred, which I answered 100%. Then I had to sign my application and some papers, pictures and was out of there with a paper that my application was approved.

I recommend the book “Citizenship for Dummies” for those who want to get familiar with the US history and government in a short time. You will find all major facts and information in there for the history and civics test along with the 100 questions and tips from authors on how to study them.

Maybe it all seemed to me so easy because I was so well prepared but one thing is certain - It was the best experience with INS in my life.

I wish the best of luck to everyone here and most of all, thank you for all your information and advice we share here.

God Bless America
P.S. I almost forgot… how could it be- a post on this board without a timeline J
PD 5/6/03
FP 6/11/03
Letter for interview 12/30/03
Interview 3/3/04
Oath ??? (maybe 3/17? Or 4/28 )

Re: Re: Interview at San Jose, CA

Originally posted by JoeF
To avoid that, they just removed that line, so that now you technically have to mention everything.
If you cooperate with the examiner, as you seem to have done, it shouldn't be a problem. They can nail people, though, who show an attitude...
Also, not necessarily it is just people who show attitude, even some officers could be having an attitude. Who knows they might have had a bad day, and may be looking for a reason.. I agree, better not give a reason.

Interview at San Jose

Here are my timelines:

PD: May 22, 2003
FP: July 2, 2003
Interview Letter: Dec. 31, 2003
Interview Date: Mar. 9, 2004

-----------------------------------------
Interview went smooth. There was absolutely no problem at all. The officer was extremely friendly.

Now waiting for oath letter.

Congratulations romit.

Few questions.
1. Did you have any traffic tickets?
2. Any long trips outside the country?
3. Any Oath letters?
4. Which service center and District office?

Thanks.

1. No traffic tickets at all. The officer did ask about it. I actually told him, I never even got a parking violation ticket. He laughed about it.

2. Yes, I had 35 days trip if you consider that as long.

3. Had interview just yesterday. Officer told me, it will take maximum of 4 months.

4. California Service Center and San Jose District office.

-------------------------------

Other funny stuff during interview

1. Officer asked if I ever sold drugs to anybody. My answer was no. then he said, well you can make lot of money. My answer was, I make enough. He told me that was a good answer.

2. Then he asked me if Knew any terrorist. My answer was no. Then he said well you can make money if you know and tell the government. My answer was, I wish. He laughed and said, he is also looking for them and could make some money.

bottom line is that this officer was very humorous, polite and very helpful.

To complete my timeline for those in San Jose, CA

PD 5/6/03
FP 6/11/03
Letter for interview 12/30/03
Interview 3/3/04
Oath 3/17

I've had my Oath today, it was... beautiful. The judge's personality and cheerful attitude made it very relaxed yet he still maintained the "seriousness" and significance of the moment (excues me for lack of better words).

Best of luck to all of you!

San Jose Interview/oath

First Congratulations!

Second I had my interview on 2/20/04 but didn't get oath letter yet. Do you know if they go in serial or pickup the lucky one's first :)

Re: San Jose Interview/oath

Originally posted by singhaj
First Congratulations!

Second I had my interview on 2/20/04 but didn't get oath letter yet. Do you know if they go in serial or pickup the lucky one's first :)

I have no idea. I guess I was lucky.
(Maybe they has some cancellation and picked me... who knows)
Did you get your letter yet?
There are stories about couples filing together and having interviews/oaths months apart.

Either way, good luck and hopefully you will get your letter soon.