internship and F1/H1/H4

k9765

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

my wife is planning to apply for an internship in US. will she need a H1 for this or H4 will be ok? (since i am already here on H1)

Plz. advice.

Thank you.

K

internship that pays? Need a EAD(which means GC has to be pending), I am not aware of H1 done for internships.

Why is she looking for internship and not a job?

Well I know the answer to it. Getting internship is easy these days than a job. But when it comes to getting paid then thats when things get complicated. You have following options:

1. Do a voluntary unpaid internship in a company and perform well so that they can hire you and sponsor H1.
2. As suggested earlier Apply for a GC and start internship after you get EAD.

hmmm...so can this be done?

So can she go for 'unpaid internship' in any company, on H4?

thx,
K

Getting an unpaid internship on H4 is not a normal practice and I am sure not many compnaies will do that.

You will have to talk to company and tell your situation. It will be kind of a voluntary work. The only benefit of this is that you will have work experience which can come handy later on and get you a job.

how about universities?

Will she be able to get internship/voulntery work in Universities? she is into research.

Well as I said, there is no thumb rule that you can get unpaid or voluntary internship/work in US (including universities)

It depends on the student - how well he/she tries and it depends on the employer if they want free help or no.

But this thing for sure that not many places welcome voluntary because of BCIS tightening the noose on univs, they would rather pay, but again its case by case. It depends on how hard you try.

nothing is straight..

hmmmm seems like nothing is simple and easy.. but this discussion has cleared a lot of confusion in my mind. and i am more clear about possibilities for her now.

by the way this EAD happens when? after labour clearance? eh..

thanks for all the advice.