Interesting Information on Singapore Visa

gc66gc66

Registered Users (C)
Hi, I would like to share this information with you all in case you need it. In the past, you didn't need a Visa to travel to Singapore if you had RTD. However, several months ago a fellow asylee posted a message saying that he was informed by the Singapore Consulate that this policy was changed and asylee would need to apply for a visa even with RTD.

On the other hand, the websites of Singapore Consulate in NY and in San Francisco both still show no visa requirements for people with U.S. RTD. To clarify this, I called the Singapore Embassy in DC and they told me something interesting. I was expecting a "yes" or "no" answer. But it was neither. The lady asked me to fax her the first a few pages of my RTD and they will determine whether I need the visa or not after seeing those pages. I told her I was planning for a trip to Singapore for one year later and I haven't applied for RTD yet. She said then she could not tell me whether I would need a visa or not. I asked her why was that. She said they would need to check certain statement in those pages; some RTDs don't have that statement; based on whether there is that statement in your RTD or not they will determine if you need the visa. But she refused to tell me what's the statement they want to check. Since my planned trip is one year away, she said there could be more restrictions imposed in the near future and suggested me to call back 2 months before my trip and fax them the RTD.

I've never applied for a RTD or seen a RTD. I wonder what would be the statement. Interesting.

By the way, I think she said the visa is waived if that statement doesn't appear in your RTD. But I don't remember this for sure. It could be the opposite.

Last edited by a moderator:
You probably talked to a secretary. I think they are looking for the expiration date and your intended travel date...also since RTD and Rentry permit look the same from the outside, they may want to see if its an RTD or Rentry permit on the front page of the document.

For instance, if you want to travel to germany, A RTD holder can go without a visa but a Rentry permit needs a visa..The reason is that Rentry permit is theoretically used for people who want to go out of the country for more than 6 months, or up to a year and that document gives them the permission to do that. All the embassies read that rule and want to make sure that you do not stay out of the country IN their country..hence a visa is required.

wy007 said:
want, have u done ur BIO earlier?

Wy007,

No i went again yesterday but the line was too long. I can't take a day off from work because of the vacation I took last month..so I will go on saturday morning.

wantmygcnow said:
You probably talked to a secretary. I think they are looking for the expiration date and your intended travel date...also since RTD and Rentry permit look the same from the outside, they may want to see if its an RTD or Rentry permit on the front page of the document.

For instance, if you want to travel to germany, A RTD holder can go without a visa but a Rentry permit needs a visa..The reason is that Rentry permit is theoretically used for people who want to go out of the country for more than 6 months, or up to a year and that document gives them the permission to do that. All the embassies read that rule and want to make sure that you do not stay out of the country IN their country..hence a visa is required.

No, I don't think it's the issue of RTD vs. Reentry Permit. She mentioned "restrictions" and the way she was so mysterious about that statement, I think it's something more significant.

After posting the previous message, I called Singapore Consulate in New York and they gave me the same answer. They suggested me to submit the visa application including my RTD information and they will let me know if my visa is approved or the visa is waived. They said things have changed a lot since Sept 11 and they have some changes in the regulations recently; whether a RTD holder needs a visa to Singapore or not is case-by-case.

Lazerthegreat said:
These A*&~ Holes might also have started discriminating based on country of origin and religion.

I'd bet you are right-its a country of origin issue. Back in 1999, I called, told them my situation and they asked me where I was from. (a third world country). So she asked me to mail copies of the RTD pages, and they sent back a letter saying "Visa not required" and asked me to show it to Singapore Immigration.

I got the distinct impression that she looked up the country name from some document and read me the instructions from that doc.

F.

Hi Lazer and Floyd, I agree with you: it must be the country issue.

Although I'm not from a Muslim country, yet I understand Lazer's feeling.