Inlaws need visitor visa, should we reveal pregnancy in letters to consulate?

bored1

Registered Users (C)
Hi , My wife is pregnant and due in Dec 04. We are hoping to get my inlaws to the US by Aug/Sept. In my invitation letter I did mention about the pregnancy candidly and already sent it to India. Now that I think again, some forum members and websites say that pregnancy should not be mentioned in the letter or otherwise. Are there any members who really had to face visa rejection due to pregnancy? Does that even make sense?
My wife needs extra care of households during this time, and we are asking our doctor to give us such a letter.(like, more the help at home, better she and the baby would do).
Please let us know your thoughts
Thanks

well the reason pregnancy isuue is avoided is that in USA the family help is not automatic but is considered a job, that could have been done by someone else. The argument is that you should hire someone to do these things, a nurse or housekeeper nanny etc. By calling someone from India u r depriving at least one person, and ur family will be working illegaly for you.
I hope you understand now why this is avoided, i havenot met anyone who got rejected for these reasons, but common sense dictates that.

I do remeber one case where the argument was same as urs about medical help etc and they rejected saying that in USA they have excellent care and healthcare available and the family members are not medically qualified either.

It would not take much to send a fresh letter, but if u still want to take a chance go ahaed and post ur experience, that way we can make sure if the long followed advice is true or a myth, its only a matter of $100 application fee per person, time, inconvenience etc.

No, this is not a myth. I can say this from my personal experience. My wife was pregnant back in 2000, and I had sent a doctors letter metioning the fact that she needed help. Sure enough I got a rejection.

waitin_toolong has listed correctly why this is so. Also if you see the rules they say, you can get B visa for business or pleasure only. Coming to help someone cannot be considered either, so they are bound by law to reject such cases. I will strongly advice you to refrain from mentioning about the pregnancy.

Hello, do you remember the exact reason the consular officer might have stated? was it the pregnancy, or some other documents that he quoted indirectly. Please let me know, i am getting a variety of feedback thru personal notes.
Thanks

sertra2002 said:
No, this is not a myth. I can say this from my personal experience. My wife was pregnant back in 2000, and I had sent a doctors letter metioning the fact that she needed help. Sure enough I got a rejection.

waitin_toolong has listed correctly why this is so. Also if you see the rules they say, you can get B visa for business or pleasure only. Coming to help someone cannot be considered either, so they are bound by law to reject such cases. I will strongly advice you to refrain from mentioning about the pregnancy.
Unless we got lucky. When my wife was pregnant in 2001 we got a letter from her doctor and my inlaws did not have problem getting the visa from Madras.

Hello, Thanks for your response. Can you folks please mention what your doctors wrote in their respective letters? May be there was some key difference.
Thanks

bored1 said:
Hello, Thanks for your response. Can you folks please mention what your doctors wrote in their respective letters? May be there was some key difference.
Thanks

willIevergetGC must have got really really lucky! Mentioning pregnancy as a reason to "visit" US is a definite way to get rejected for the reasons mentioned by serta and waytoolong. They should not even mention it at Point of Entry otherwise the PoE officer might not give a 6 months I-94.

goodluck!

-ab