Indian PCC Toronto Issue

srini88

Registered Users (C)
Gurus

I had a question on Indian PCC. NVC have asked for this and initially I thought this was not a big issue just need to apply with the Indian consulate in Toronto since I live in Windsor and work in Detroit. At first Toronto India Consulate told me that all they wanted was the copies of the passport to be mailed to them and when the PCC was issued to come in person with the original passport for it to get stamped (In Fact thats how I remember doing it back in 2002 when I applied for my Canadian PR from a different Indian consulate).

However now they are telling me that they changed the rule and that you have to mail them the original passport and they will keep it with them during the processing of PCC for 4-6 weeks and then they mail it back to you which I dont understand why it should be necessary. Now normally that wouldnt be an issue but for my commuting back and forth between Windsor and Detroit. So how do I address this? I can probably get it directly from India easily but then I heard that NVC will not accept PCC unless its from the consulate servicing the area you are living. Can you think of any ways to get around this issue?

Thanks

talk to a correct person about PCC at Toronto. They should not request your original passport for PCC clearance. They would only need a copy for it. At the time of issuance they would need the original passport.

Do not use the Toronto method. The high commission is a zoo. I don't trust them at all. When I went there they were at least 20 people complaining about the service and getting the runaround. If you can get it somewhere else then get the PCC from there, not Toronto.

Hi Srini,

I just had it couple of months ago from the Toronto consulate and they didn't keep my passport. Try to talk to someone else, although I knwo it's almot impossible to have one of them pick up the phone.

I am not sure how difficult it will be but the best way to do this is to go to Toronto and submit it in person. You may want to talk to an officer as well.

Here is the issue I talked to the Vice Consul in charge of Indian PCC. He was very stern with us. They lost our application and didnt have the courtesy to accept their mistake. So we went and met him personally and he said that he has changed the rules and now he wants the passport to be kept with him for 6 weeks which is ridiculous!!. I applied with them in May and they cashed my check in August saying that I mailed my application in Aug which is a lie since I have tracking info from Canada post saying that app was delivered in May. Now here is my question lets say they create a hassle and refuse to give me PCC without keeping my passport which I cannot do since I commute can I get Indian PCC from India and submit to NVC Montreal? The million dollar question is does the US Montreal Consulate accept Indian PCC only from the consulate servicing your area of residence or can I get it directly from India?

Hi,

You need not necessarily get the PCC from Toronto. When you go to India for the interview you can very well get the PCC from there.

Gettign the PCC from Toronto, they are not required to keep the passport. You can send the application and the fees upfront with your passport photocopies and they would initiate the process in India passport office to check to see if you have any criminal records. If you do not have any, then they would call your phone number and will ask you to send the passports for stamping. At that time you have to send the passport for stamping.

hope this helps..

Yep thats the way I understood the procedure too until last week when I met this guy who told me differently...maybe he was pissed that day since he told us that he changed the rules!!!. Anyway my interview is with the US Consulate in Montreal so I am assuming that even for that I can get Indian PCC from india, is that right? Just reconfirming since you mentioned "interview in India"?

Also the way I remember it is that they give you a letter showing no criminal records and then stamp the passport saying "PCC was issued". I a guessing the US consulate only wants the letter right and not the stamping on the passport that PCC was issued?

To add to this I too was first informed that you need not do Indian PCC at while sending DS 230 forms and that you can wait for the dates to be current and then arrange it at the time of the interview which would have been ideal since then you don't have to worry about PCC expiring however when we sent all the paperwork to Montreal they said the application was incomplete and asked me to submit Indian PCC in advance which is why this whole thing started. Did Chennai consulate ask you to submit Indian PCC in advance or did they didnt ask for it now?

I a guessing the US consulate only wants the letter right and not the stamping on the passport that PCC was issued?
That is right. I never even got the stamp o0n my passport from the Toronto Consulate.

Did Chennai consulate ask you to submit Indian PCC in advance or did they didnt ask for it now?
Almost the same thing happened with me. NVC (then NVC) asked for all my PCC before sending my papers to the Mumbai Consulate. It took me a month and a half to collect all of them and I sent them those. Then they sent my papers to the Mumbai consulate and before my interview (after two and a half years) I had to collect them again . But I couldn't get a new one from Singapore but then again I never went back to Singapore after '98 and may be that's why they were okay with the old (from 2005) PCC from Singapore.

Thanks for the response so I am safe to assume that to apply with Montreal US consulate I don't have to get PCC only from Toronto Indian consulate even though that services my area of residence? If I want I can get it from India too right? Can someone please confirm that?

Hi Srini,

As far as I know, in any consulate either of these PCCs should be fine. All it would tell them that you don’t have any criminal record against you in India.

Now on a different note, I assume that you are originally from India and live in Windsor on work permit or you are a PR or a citizen of Canada. But I used to know that for consular you need to do it from your country of origin which will be India in your case. They initially sent my case to Montreal as well and issued me a MTL number and then when I told them that I was originally from Calcutta, India and they may need to send it to Mumbai then they changed my case number to BMB and sent it to Mumbai.

Question, was my assumption right or can you get it from your current country of residence (or country of citizenship?) as well? Did I unnecessary ask them to change my case to Mumbai and spent all these money to travel to Mumbai? Have you checked this with anyone?

Sudipta

Consular interview at Canada?

Is it posible on P.R. when you are in Canada?

Could some one let us know.
TIA

sudiptabhaskar

Thanks. Yes I have confirmed that. If you live in canada you can apply in Montreal. You can also get it from your country of citizenship. They asked me to prove that I lived in Canada and after that they accepted the case for Montreal.

Drat.. and here I was .. went all the way to Mumbai for this. :)

But good that you have confirmed this with them. This will save you a lot of trouble I believe.

Best of luck