Indian Passport not received - Please help

wegaplus

Hi all-
I had sent my Indian passport to Houston facility to surrender it as part of my OCI process. Today I received my OCI and US passport stamped by mail but did not get my Indian passport back. Not sure whom to contact to get my Indian passport cancelled... ( I tried calling counsulate several times but no one answered) any help will be greatly appreciated. Planning for an India trip not sure if this could cause any problems.

Thanks in advance!

You do not need a cancelled Indian Passport. You have your US Passport, OCI Booklet. More than sufficient.

Thankyou antonc ... but shouldn't the Indian counsulate send me back my cancelled passport with the surrender certificate? what if the immigration officer asked me for the stamped surrender certificate? I don't want any loose ends with this whole process and be done with it once for all, I am sure it will be much more complicated to get things done as days pass... any suggestions anyone on how to contact the Indian counsulate andget back my passport? Thanks all for your input!

Not all OCI card holders have held an indian passport. I have not been asked anything other than USP and booklet. Immigrations Officers asking this has not been reported in any travel sites or MHA FAQs

wegaplus, you do need to make sure you get your SC and canceled passport back. Reason is these fools will demand to see proof that you obtained a SC and canceled your old Indian passport next time you renew your OCI.

Yes JPBoston you are right, I just want some proof that I surrendered my Indian passport and worried that I may get that question down the line...

Hi guys...can anyone explain what the new rule on surrendering the Indian passport once a person gets his OCI? will the consulate cancel and send the passport along with the surrender certificate or will they keep the passport? can someone make this clear? thanks in advance.

I (and everyone I know) got their canceled passports back with their SC. You cannot get an OCI without showing proof of surrender certificate first.

wegaplus, you do need to make sure you get your SC and canceled passport back. Reason is these fools will demand to see proof that you obtained a SC and canceled your old Indian passport next time you renew your OCI.

The gentleman would have to renew his OCI only if he gets a new USP and turns 50+ :)
I got an OCI when I was 49 on a passport with 9 month validity left. So I was a candidate for your scenario. A person can keep carrying old passport+OCI booklet and the new USP till he/she hits the Five-Big-O. I am sure getting a crucial document and cancelled ppt, if that is a mandatory requirement, is important to have in one's possession.

I applied for SC and got my cancelled Indian passport back. I sent it again with my OCI app last week, not sure if I'll get it back....