India Dual Citizenship Mega Thread (Merged)

The India Dual Citizenship will be Operational:

• In 2003

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • In 2004

Votes: 11 55.0%
  • Sometime after 2004

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • I am skeptical if this will happen

Votes: 1 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
no refund is fine....if they mention in their general instructions

It will be reasonable to say no refunds allowed if it is clearly mentioned in the general instructions (don't send mailing coverage if planning for in-person pickup).

I will write this on their web site feedback knowing that nothing would be done by them when some free money is going in to their accounts.

mangal969 said:
Jenimmi's CGINY experience shows that cancelling the Indian PP is not really taken seriously by the embassies.But for us it is safer to be on the right side of the law.

Indianindian-Congrats !

Rajudm- I believe i had mentioned earlier that CGINY does not give refund for return mail if you go pick it up in person

atlantathrasher-There was a Mangalpandey who applied and received his OCI card from Sydney.Please hunt through this thread to learn about his experiences.

PIO1 said:
basis, looks good - please put this stuff up yourself, maybe as two + posts (a) useful links and (b) registration.

Also re registration, there were these rules for hotel registration that we could not find ... any ideas where these would be/what the situation is with NRIs/PIOs?

I have done that. I have also posted the rules related hotel registration as much as we are aware today.

Thanks a lot basis.You have posted some nice links

But i do have some suggestions:
1.Make each set of links into a seperate post.It will make them easier to handle
2.Since that thread deals with OCI and OCI related issues maybe we should remove the PIO card registration post and other links which are related to PIO card holders.

Thanks once again

Edit: I took all the finance links and put them in a post
Similarly you can seperate the legislative,consular etc links and put them in their own posts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Update to CGI-SF OCI instructions webpage

I just noticed that the SF CGI OCI instructions page was updated, and now states that the passport copies are to be self-attested instead of notarized. Additionally, they have more detailed requirements for photographs and signature.

mangal969 said:
Thanks a lot basis.You have posted some nice links

But i do have some suggestions:
1.Make each set of links into a seperate post.It will make them easier to handle
2.Since that thread deals with OCI and OCI related issues maybe we should remove the PIO card registration post and other links which are related to PIO card holders.

Thanks once again

Edit: I took all the finance links and put them in a post
Similarly you can seperate the legislative,consular etc links and put them in their own posts.

mangal - U r most welcome.

I have a suggestion. I dont visit this forum regularly. May be a regular visitor can create those posts and put the links there - so those can be maintained as and when we find new links or need to modify existing links. Once that's done I will delete my posts from the thread. Trust this is ok with u.

basis,
I have grouped the relevant links under seperate posts.You can go ahead and delete your posts.However please leave the post on Hotel stay as it is.

I did not put the PIO links and the links to the other forums.

Just wanted to update my stauts,

My OCI status says Granted Thanks Mangal and Genesis for your updates from time and time. Just fyi I sent to cginy on Mar 9th and it moved to under process on 04/09
and Granted on 04/19. Hope this info is helpful.

Question I have is do I need to send in the Passports now or wait for any formal notice from the consulate ? I only checked the online status and I have not got anything in writing that my application is granted.

-Sameer

rajapkp said:

My OCI status says Granted Thanks Mangal and Genesis for your updates from time and time. Just fyi I sent to cginy on Mar 9th and it moved to under process on 04/09

Question I have is do I need to send in the Passports now or wait for any formal notice from the consulate ? I only checked the online status and I have not got anything in writing that my application is granted.

-Sameer

Wait for them to send you a letter.DO NOT send your passport before that.

'Granted' means your OCI card is ready for preperation in India.When it is actually prepared and sent to CGINY varies.

Oh, Yes. DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT send the passports before they ask you to send them. I simply followed the instructions on the application and sent my passports. They kept the passports for 2 months and I had to run heaven to earth to get them back.

I finally got the OCI cards for my family but mine is still pending. CGI-Houston think the ball is on MEA court and MEA are still waiting for the CGI-Houston to scan and upload my photos. They did not upload properly for the first time and instead of re-uploading, they simply asked me to resend the photos. I promptly sent a month back but still the photos have not been uploaded as per MEA.

rajapkp said:

-Sameer

Thanks for the timeline.
I applied on March 28 Part B at CGINY. No status at the MHA website.

gaurav2005 said:
Oh, Yes. DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT send the passports before they ask you to send them. I simply followed the instructions on the application and sent my passports. They kept the passports for 2 months and I had to run heaven to earth to get them back.

I finally got the OCI cards for my family but mine is still pending. CGI-Houston think the ball is on MEA court and MEA are still waiting for the CGI-Houston to scan and upload my photos. They did not upload properly for the first time and instead of re-uploading, they simply asked me to resend the photos. I promptly sent a month back but still the photos have not been uploaded as per MEA.
As per your post. they did not cancelled your indian passort.
get them cancelled when you got chance.
i did it before i applied OCI

gaurav2005 said:

Maybe you should consider sedning your photos directly to the MEA with a covering letter :D

Now disgusted at CGI-NY

I finally received a response from Vanaja Thekkat, Under Secretary (DS) at MEA/MOIA. She informed me that my documents were already dispatched and I should be able to collect them this week from CGI-NY.

As CGI never responds, I went there personally. They said they do not have the documents. After showing the email from under secretary, they still maintained the same thing. They also remarked that it takes them a week or two to open the mail!!!

Since I have to fly on Friday 28th (due to scheduled hospitalization and surgery of my mother), it looks like I have lost the case. It is clear to me that they do not have any concept of mercy and do not know to be humane........

Timeline: Applied and received by CGI-NY in January, Approved as of 4th March, documents with CGI-NY April.

No one has yet responded to me if I am allowed to re-apply at Mumbai FRRO.

FrustratedCGINY said:
I finally received a response from Vanaja Thekkat, Under Secretary (DS) at MEA/MOIA. She informed me that my documents were already dispatched and I should be able to collect them this week from CGI-NY.

As CGI never responds, I went there personally. They said they do not have the documents. After showing the email from under secretary, they still maintained the same thing. They also remarked that it takes them a week or two to open the mail!!!

Since I have to fly on Friday 28th (due to scheduled hospitalization and surgery of my mother), it looks like I have lost the case. It is clear to me that they do not have any concept of mercy and do not know to be humane........

Timeline: Applied and received by CGI-NY in January, Approved as of 4th March, documents with CGI-NY April.

No one has yet responded to me if I am allowed to re-apply at Mumbai FRRO.

Sorry to hear it didnt work out for you.Maybe you ought to try one last time on Wednesday or so.Show them your ticket and tell them it is an emergency.I know the Indian embassies to be slow but they arent heartless.

If it still doesnt work out I dont think you will need to reapply at Mumbai.Just take your file no and all and apply for a duplicate OCI.You will have to pay for it (I dont know how much) but atleast you wont have to go through the whole process.E-mail the whole situation to Ms Thekkat and see what she says

mangal969 said:
Sorry to hear it didnt work out for you.Maybe you ought to try one last time on Wednesday or so.Show them your ticket and tell them it is an emergency.I know the Indian embassies to be slow but they arent heartless.

If it still doesnt work out I dont think you will need to reapply at Mumbai.Just take your file no and all and apply for a duplicate OCI.You will have to pay for it (I dont know how much) but atleast you wont have to go through the whole process.E-mail the whole situation to Ms Thekkat and see what she says

Mangal, I respect your opinion but it is not true. They are "heartless". My post was short and hence I omited few details. Here is the remaining part: I did explain the whole situation to three people. I did carry with me all documents including ticket, receipts and documents of shipped stuff for relocation to Mumbai, EMail from Ms. Thekkat. My requests for meeting with any consular officer were also turned down. Forget Consul General or Deputy Consul General. One of them (the receptionist) connected me to some one called Mr. Sharma over the intercom system. After I told him and begged him for help, he just hung up!! I certainly would like to know your reaction or how you would feel on that. Thanks.