India Dual Citizenship Mega Thread (Merged)

The India Dual Citizenship will be Operational:

• In 2003

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • In 2004

Votes: 11 55.0%
  • Sometime after 2004

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • I am skeptical if this will happen

Votes: 1 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
mangal969 said:
PIO1,
From my experience they first check your documentation to see if everything is alright and then put in the check for cashing.I dont think they wait to see if the check clears, given that it is a banker's check.Case in point is my own the check i had given was cleared by my bank 2 days after my status upgraded to "Under Process".I guess they know you cant have a bankers check cancelled unless you turn in the original and in this case the original is with them :)
Must depend on the embassy/consulate. I applied for my parent's OCI and this is what I was told. Bankers checks are low risk but they still need to be cleared - they are revokable in some cases.

Horrible experience from CGI-Houston

Any one has dealt with CGI-Houston with respect to OCI ?

I have been trying to contact them through emails, phone and fax. They simply dont respond. I had sent my passports as soon as I saw "granted" online. Subsequently, they also sent an email to send our passports. This was almost 2 months ago. My photo was rejected and asked to resend. I sent it a month ago. I thought I could receive all of them at once.

Now, they neither upload my new photos to MEA, nor do they send the rest of the approved OCI cards. I am really tired calling and sending them emails. They are like a black hole sucking everything but nothing coming out.

Please advise me the course of action I should take. I live in Florida and Houston is not a driving distance and airfares are expensive. But I am prepared to do that if I have to. But for now, I just want our US passports back to feel at peace. I think one is better off to do in person than sending the passports and wait forever.

TIA

gaurav2005 said:

I have been trying to contact them through emails, phone and fax. They simply dont respond. I had sent my passports as soon as I saw "granted" online. Subsequently, they also sent an email to send our passports. This was almost 2 months ago. My photo was rejected and asked to resend. I sent it a month ago. I thought I could receive all of them at once.

Now, they neither upload my new photos to MEA, nor do they send the rest of the approved OCI cards. I am really tired calling and sending them emails. They are like a black hole sucking everything but nothing coming out.

Please advise me the course of action I should take. I live in Florida and Houston is not a driving distance and airfares are expensive. But I am prepared to do that if I have to. But for now, I just want our US passports back to feel at peace. I think one is better off to do in person than sending the passports and wait forever.

TIA

I have applied at the CGI Houston in Jan 2006, granted first week of April 2006, and waiting for the email to send the passport. I agree, I am disappointed with their service..

Are you sending the email to ocicgihouston@swbell.net ? You normally do not get a response if you send it to the generic CGI Houston email address. Try the email address above, and request them to send your passports back if they cannot process your OCI at this time.... Unless you are in a hurry to travel somewhere outside the country, I would not recommend wasting money to fly up to Houston.

US State Department's view on OIC

From US State Department's website

"SPECIAL CIRCUMSTANCES: In 2006, India launched the "Overseas Citizens of India" (OCI) program, which has often been mischaracterized as a dual nationality program. However, the OCI program does not grant Indian citizenship. Thus, an American who obtains an OCI card is not a citizen of India. That person remains a citizen of the United States. An OCI card in reality is similar to a U.S. "green card" in that a holder can travel to and from India indefinitely, work in India, study in India, and own property in India (except for certain agricultural and plantation properties). An OCI holder, however, does not receive an Indian passport, cannot vote in Indian elections and is not eligible for government employment in India. The OCI program is similar to the Persons of Indian Origin (PIO) card introduced by the Indian government several years ago, except that PIO holders must still register with Indian immigration authorities, and PIO cards are not issued for an indefinite period. American citizens of Indian descent can apply for PIO or OCI cards at the Indian Embassy in Washington, D.C. or at the Indian Consulates in Chicago, New York, San Francisco and Houston. Within India, American citizens can apply at the nearest FRRO office (please see Entry/Exit Requirements section above for more information on the FRRO). For more information on the OCI program, please see www.mha.nic.in/oci/oci-main.htm."

fitness99

I have been sending the emails to ocicgihouston email address. Not once did they respond to it other than an email asking me to send the passports. On the other hand, the mails from MEA office in NewDelhi from "vanaja Thekkat", the undersecretrary, have been very prompt and helpful. I expected the exactly the opposite response from each one of them: MEA and CGI.

I applied in Jan 2006 and in fact granted in February itself. I sent the passports immediately (just following instructions on the application). Since then its been a waiting game. The OCI cards for my wife and kids are issued but my photos have been rejected citing poor quality. They asked the CGI to rescan them but CGI asked me to re-send the photos that too when I called them. Otherwise they would have been sitting pretty taking no action. I rushed photos immediately, this was almost a month ago. They never uploaded the photos and MEA is waiting for them to upload.

gaurav2005 said:

TIA
gaurav
i am in same bote as you granted on feb 18th
but i only send my passport after they e mail me
i got my oci card after 10th day
best i can say they are doing florida tour (camp see web site)
may be you can see them.

Congrats gotia

Thanks for the tip. They are coming to Jacksonville on Apr 29. I live in Tampa area. Hopefully I can establish contact with them meanwhile.

Why are they avoiding my calls and voicemails ? I hope they did not loose my passports.

Last edited by a moderator:
gaurav2005 said:
Congrats gotia

Thanks for the tip. They are coming to Jacksonville on Apr 29. I live in Tampa area. Hopefully I can establish contact with them meanwhile.

Why are they avoiding my calls and voicemails ? I hope they did not loose my passports.
gaurav
i donot understand once they e mail to send passport things are ready
how can they say that photo need to rescan .
houston is very myesterous
my suggestion if you able to establish contact first to make sure passport are in safe custody

gaurav2005 said:
Congrats gotia

Gaurav-Passport ka sval hain.
Go to the higher-ups.Talkto the Consul-General.Tell them to send your passport back for now and that you'll send it after the OCI card comes back from India
In fact if you do not have any immediate plans to go anywhere let them keep the passport.I am sure they will keep it secure.But even in this case call the CG and tell him you are worried about the security of your passport.

Sent in appln today to SF CGI

Sent in appln today to SF CGI.

Sent in 3 extra photos with additional one each pasted to each form (total of 5 photos). I sent the payment in the form of a postal Money Order. I also included my ind p/p to be cancelled in a separate envelope with cover letter in the package that I mailed. Now the wait begins. I completed the online application last week, just got to sending the completed form today.

Gotia

They only sent an email to send the passports of my wife and kids. They did not say anything that my photos are rejected. Only after emailing MEA, I came to know that my photos were not scanned properly. I called them up the next day to tell them to re-scan and without any hesitation they asked me to re-send the photographs. After rushing them the photos, I called them again to ask the status, they told me that the application goes back in queue and that it will take several weeks before I get my OCI.

I asked them to atleast send the remaining OCI cards along with the passports. They never did. I thought may be they wanted to send all the OCIs together. Two weeks back, when I called them asking about my OCI status, they outrightly lied saying that they are waiting from Delhi. When I contacted MEA, they told me they are still waiting for my photos to be uploaded.

Mangal

I have been calling every number that is listed on their website. Most of these phones have their voice mails full, you cant even leave a message. I left messages in whereever I can. No call back whatsoever.

This is the worst ever experience and treatment I got from dealing with any govt office. Why dont they even pick up the phone even in their scheduled 2-4pm time period? The dedicated phone line for OCI is supposed to be answered during this time. The phone line keeps ringing and ringing and no one answers. yesterday I sent faxes to every fax line that is listed on consulate.

On one hand I have been working overtime now-a-days to write to senators and representatives and also sending emails within the Indian American community to gather support for US-India civil nuclear deal and on the other hand I get this kind of treatment from the consulate. Some times the guys who pick up the phone are outright rude when I ask them to transfer the phone to OCI cell.

sfbayguy said:
Sent in appln today to SF CGI.

Sent in 3 extra photos with additional one each pasted to each form (total of 5 photos). I sent the payment in the form of a postal Money Order. I also included my ind p/p to be cancelled in a separate envelope with cover letter in the package that I mailed. Now the wait begins. I completed the online application last week, just got to sending the completed form today.
I believe its 1 photo pasted + 3 loose photos per form. That would be 2 pasted and 6 loose.

gaurav2005 said:
Gotia

This is the worst ever experience and treatment I got from dealing with any govt office. Why dont they even pick up the phone even in their scheduled 2-4pm time period? The dedicated phone line for OCI is supposed to be answered during this time. The phone line keeps ringing and ringing and no one answers. yesterday I sent faxes to every fax line that is listed on consulate.

On one hand I have been working overtime now-a-days to write to senators and representatives and also sending emails within the Indian American community to gather support for US-India civil nuclear deal and on the other hand I get this kind of treatment from the consulate. Some times the guys who pick up the phone are outright rude when I ask them to transfer the phone to OCI cell.

GoI needs to train people on customer service. No matter how many years pass, they never seem to learn this!

gaurav2005 said:
Gotia

They only sent an email to send the passports of my wife and kids. They did not say anything that my photos are rejected. Only after emailing MEA, I came to know that my photos were not scanned properly. I called them up the next day to tell them to re-scan and without any hesitation they asked me to re-send the photographs. After rushing them the photos, I called them again to ask the status, they told me that the application goes back in queue and that it will take several weeks before I get my OCI.

I asked them to atleast send the remaining OCI cards along with the passports. They never did. I thought may be they wanted to send all the OCIs together. Two weeks back, when I called them asking about my OCI status, they outrightly lied saying that they are waiting from Delhi. When I contacted MEA, they told me they are still waiting for my photos to be uploaded.

Mangal

I have been calling every number that is listed on their website. Most of these phones have their voice mails full, you cant even leave a message. I left messages in whereever I can. No call back whatsoever.

gaurav
e mail was very tricky.
it hide the receiveing person name saying unknown receipient this only i came to know when i print it out.
it only laddress like madam/sir.
theyshould clarify each name.
when i send my p/p i request for name of person receiving it i got it by carrier.
i print it out.
e mail i received at 4.00 pm thursday
if send next day friday(p/p) saturday they are closed. another hurdle.
mail unable to reach next morning.
pass through whole process eye wide open

I also sent an email to MEA in New Delhi describing the OCI ordeal at the consulates.

Here are some questions:

1. Consulates and the consulate generals are reportable to whom ? Ministry of external affairs or the PM ?

2. Roughly how many applications are received by each consulate ? There are 2 million Indians in US and how many USCs ? So, each consulate is swamped by 100s or 1000s of applications. If that is so, there is a lack of serious planning to recruit additional resources to take care of the demand.

Frustrated at CGINY

Gaurav,

You mentioned in an earlier post that you got replies promptly from MEA. Did you send email to MEA to the same address as in earlier posts (viz. usnri@mea.gov.in)? If no, can you post the address? I have sent emails to MEA, MHA, MOIA & CGI NY but, so far, no one has cared to respond for a week. Hence the request. Thanks.

I, too, applied in January; granted on 4th March and still waiting. I have decided to fly back on the 28th April regardless if they give it or not. I can not continue to risk my parents health anymore. I am desparately trying to make these last attempts to get it resolved before I fly. Any help/guidance here on this forum will be greatly appreciated.

FrustratedCGINY said:
Gaurav,

You mentioned in an earlier post that you got replies promptly from MEA. Did you send email to MEA to the same address as in earlier posts (viz. usnri@mea.gov.in)? If no, can you post the address? I have sent emails to MEA, MHA, MOIA & CGI NY but, so far, no one has cared to respond for a week. Hence the request. Thanks.

I, too, applied in January; granted on 4th March and still waiting. I have decided to fly back on the 28th April regardless if they give it or not. I can not continue to risk my parents health anymore. I am desparately trying to make these last attempts to get it resolved before I fly. Any help/guidance here on this forum will be greatly appreciated.

Frustrated,
Please call the MOIA and ask them what is happening about your application.Go to the website moia.gov.in. The man to speak to is M S Kaniyal.Explain your situation to him and tell him your requirement is urgent.

Mangal969, Thanks.. I replied.

Frustrated, I sent to the same email address. It is quite possible that the emails go to different people and depending on the person answering, you may not get immediate response.

In my case, I got an email initially from Vanaja Thekkat, undersecretary and therefore I address her directly. (salutation). So it is quite possible that my emails always go to her and therefore the prompt response. It will be a litmus test to see what response I will get to my latest email. I described all the ordeal I faced with CGI-Houston and also asked her for help. I am not sure how much of a hold MEA has on consulates.

gaurav2005 said:
Mangal969, Thanks.. I replied.

Frustrated, I sent to the same email address. It is quite possible that the emails go to different people and depending on the person answering, you may not get immediate response.

In my case, I got an email initially from Vanaja Thekkat, undersecretary and therefore I address her directly. (salutation). So it is quite possible that my emails always go to her and therefore the prompt response. It will be a litmus test to see what response I will get to my latest email. I described all the ordeal I faced with CGI-Houston and also asked her for help. I am not sure how much of a hold MEA has on consulates.[/QUOTE

consulate is responsible for MEA
MEA does not have cabinate minister
last time PM is holding charge o f MEA.
MEA has only state minister
this is situation so better to include PM office.