in your own objective opinion, which is better? US citizenship or EU citizenship?

While we discuss between living with US Citizenship vs. EU Citizenship, does Europe has any Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) law like we have in US? If I am not 'fair skinned' as some native/locals in Europe (say France) and am not hired for a waitress job, do I have a law (like EEO in US) on my side to sue the employer and take this issue to the court? Again, the question is having (or not having) a EEO like law in Europe (don't concentrate on the prejudice).

This was the issue raised during the recent riots in France, where French/EU Citizens with African background were being discriminated against the white natives (unwritten hiring rule) and there was no law protecting their interests. ???????

While we discuss between living with US Citizenship vs. EU Citizenship, does Europe has any Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) law like we have in US? If I am not 'fair skinned' as some native/locals in Europe (say France) and am not hired for a waitress job, do I have a law (like EEO in US) on my side to sue the employer and take this issue to the court? Again, the question is having (or not having) a EEO like law in Europe (don't concentrate on the prejudice).

This was the issue raised during the recent riots in France, where French/EU Citizens with African background were being discriminated against the white natives (unwritten hiring rule) and there was no law protecting their interests. ???????
Whatever laws they have are weak without teeth. And in some EU countries you have to submit a picture with your resume when you apply for a job, so they are able to discriminate more easily and pervasively. Unemployment is very high for nonwhite immigrants, even those that have university educations. The institutionalized racism is worse than it is in the US (although the US was probably worse than them in the days before the Civil Rights movement).

Last edited by a moderator:
The bottomline is no country is perfect, we should try to be the best citizens and make it better for the entire community.

It is true that in France, the immigrants and even their French born kids are discriminated against. But then there was a study done in the US which discovered that "black sounding" names were discriminated against during a job application process. So the racism problem is wordwide sadly.

true.......... but Pureto Rico is in the Top 10 Happiest Countries.

solution: just move to Pureto Rico and be happy... :D

come to think of it, as a new US citizen, can I now freely move to Puerto Rico if I want? :confused:

Puerto Rico is an American Commonwealth, not an autonomous country. All Puerto Ricans are American citizens, and LPRs are free to go to Puerto Rico at any time without a passport and without breaking continuous residence. I was there about 3 months ago, and it's one of the most incredible places in the world. Forget retiring in Florida...Puerto Rico is my top choice.

Yes. And you could even do that as a green card holder. But life would be difficult for you there if you don't speak Spanish.

not just in Puerto Rico... Spanish is essentially the second official language of the United States.

I took Spanish lessons for several months back in 2006. Being able to speak and understand Spanish language is great if you live in, or near, a major US city in the continental US! :) (or even if you live in a small town in the middle of Iowa with a lot of Spanish-speaking residents)

I can communicate easily with my employees or the contractors who are currently working on my house.

in your own objective opinion, which is better? US citizenship or ancestral EU citizenship?

I did not want to give an answer without thinking about it carefully.

so, I decide to ponder this question for at least 5 months and marked it
on my calendar. well, today is the day I marked and I'll provide my answer
now........

after 5 months of careful consideration, taking EVERYTHING into account,
I have come to a conclusion. This answer is what I truly believe in the
deepest parts of my heart.(which I will say with my hands on the Bible)

EU citizenship is absolutely better than US citizenship.

obviously this is a YMMV question, so everyone will have a different answer.

I became a naturalized US citizen this year(2008). It is now my number one priority to
move to a European Union country and pursue my EU citizenship.

Ironic. Vyacheslav should have disclosed his deep and profound thinking to the interviewing officer during his citizenship test... he'd be already on his way to good ol' Europe without the blue passport.

Good night! :)

Does your answer have anything to do with ongoing economic downturn ?

No, in fact, I recently(3 months ago) started a new job making almost 70% more than my last job.

However, last week, I interviewed and was offered a new job in a EU nation. If I accept their offer, I will
end up making way less money, probably less than USD$89000 per year, before the high taxes in that country.
(but I will live in a EU nation)

Like I said, I didn't come to my conlusion lightly. I wanted to be an American since I was 7 or 8 years old.

So it was a goal from early on, and now that you have attained it, it's not all what you thought it would be?

So it was a goal from early on, and now that you have attained it, it's not all what you thought it would be?

guess so.... The USA is still a great country. After leaving my home
country, I have continusly in the USA for 11 year... as well as 9 years
in a couple of EU countries. I compared both and now I seemed to
have a different conclusion... :(

I suppose I'll end up like one of those people with 3 passports...

i became a US citizen just this month. my oldest cousin got her EU citizenship(as a naturalized citizen of Sweden) three month ago. she's been teasing me about why i became a US citizen when my house is filled with IKEA(Swedish) furniture from the Elizabeth, NJ, IKEA store and that i've bought/leased 4 new Volvos(technically Swedish) in the past 11 years. :(
not to mention the fact so many native-born American citizens have applied for EU citizenship in the last 4 years...

we've been debating the question below for a while now. but we'd like to hear what people in similary situation think:

in your own objective opinion, which is better? US citizenship or ancestral EU citizenship?

i do realize that this forum is surely going to biased in favor of US citizenship :D but i'm looking for objective opinions only, please. thank you!

Nice trick, Carlart. But highly subjective. You should stick to matters of importance in this forum. With that, I mean, subject that can help others in their journey and quest for United States Citizenship.- :):):)

My daughter have a very confusing situation. I really would like to know if she can keep her passaports. She is 14 years old now, was born in Macau, China, while it was portuguese government. I was born in Brazil, her father was born in China. I made her brazilian passport for our trips to Brazil, while we were in Macau, i did her Portuguese passport and Chines passport (aquired from her father's side) and now i'm going to become American Citizen, so is my daughter because i'm applying for her American passport as soon as i take the oath.
Can she still hold her brazilian, chinese and portuguese passport after she gets her american passport?

My daughter have a very confusing situation. I really would like to know if she can keep her passaports. She is 14 years old now, was born in Macau, China, while it was portuguese government. I was born in Brazil, her father was born in China. I made her brazilian passport for our trips to Brazil, while we were in Macau, i did her Portuguese passport and Chines passport (aquired from her father's side) and now i'm going to become American Citizen, so is my daughter because i'm applying for her American passport as soon as i take the oath.
Can she still hold her brazilian, chinese and portuguese passport after she gets her american passport?

Yes, they all derive from her parent's and birth rights.

Just make sure you explain to your daughter to keep that to herself. It is for her benefit to keep all those benefits as long as she does not start bragging about it.

She is holding EU citizenship because of the Portuguese. That's great.
She is holding Chinese citizenship. That is also great.
She is holding Brazilian citizenship. Wonderful.
She will be holding US Citizenship. Excellent.

She could eventually depending on what she goes to school for, will be able to work for different companies. She has an unlimited source of good things to come, if she puts them to use when she grows up.

Many immigration officers will not understand it. They will even be suspicious and some of them jealous. So you don't want to attract attention to it. :D:D:D

Thank you so much. My own reason to keep all her passports is exactly because of some benefits. She is very intelligent and i know she wants finish college here but also she is looking for to some college overseas in the future.