• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

In-State Tuition for new LPR possible?

Tazmania

Registered Users (C)
Someone asked me this question and the only thing I know is, that normally the person need to have established their domicile in that State for at least twelve months.

Maybe there are other options for new immigrants, I have no clue.

Thank you for useful answers which I will forward :)

Yes, I really want to know about this too. I have sent an email to a state university in Illinois, and I expect a reply soon and will post it here. But the question is, will the laws be same (regarding this matter) in other states as well.

Most states have the 12 month limit, a few a 6 month limit (dont know which, maybe there is somewhere an overview)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, 12 months is the limit, at least in State of Florida.

I had an American friend who used to live in Ohio, when He moved to Florida, He had to wait almost a year before the State acknowledge him as a Florida Resident and can go to school in Florida as a Resident and not out of State Resident.

I don't think immigrants will get special treatment. Once you stay in one State you need to stay at least 12 months before considered a resident of the State.

I know there is an exception but I only seen this for Americans (not immigrants). If you're not a resident of the State but your parents are, you can be considered as a Resident of the State based on where your parents live. This mainly has to do with where the income tax is generated. You will only get benefits from that particular State like in State Tuition if you or your parents pay taxes to that State.

Maryland.

I came to america in the begining of the August 2008.And I am living in Maryland.Since then I am working for the Georgrtown University as a Reasearch Asssitant in the Naval Medical Research Center Maryland.
I have applied for the Uni of Maryland college park for the Fall 2009.I am paying MD income tax and i have the MD driver's license.
Will I get the in state tuition?