Importance of PD

greatgc

Registered Users (C)
Can some one recapture the importance of the PD?

I understand the following:

For 485 to be approved, one needs to have all checks including background and name check cleared what ever it means by Background checks.

Once after that is done, the 485 case goes to the IO for the review. If that is complete, then the PD has to be current for the case to be approved.

If the PD is NOT current,although every thing might be clear, the case CAN NOT BE APPROVED.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks

overall correct

overall you are correct. I have the same understanding..

But UCSIS might be sometimes abnormal in certain cases, as they are not purely FIFO in processing.

ok

Ok..

But there is no way that the case can be approved BEFORE THE PD IS current?..right? Even if they do not follow FIFO.

In addition, the visa is only available when the PD is current. Right?

GC approval happens if and only if all these below conditions are met:

1) background/name check/FP results(biometrics) all received and cleared
2) case has been reviewed by officer and needs no more evidence (RFEs)
3) visa bulletin for that country/category is current
4) case is assigned to an adjudicating officer (remember even if all above steps 1, 2 and 3 are clear and if your case is not assigned to an adjudicating officer yet then you still wont get approval even if visa bulletin is current)
5) adjudicating officer requests thru an online system Dept. of State (DOS) for a visa# if visa bulletin is current
6) DOS sends back with a visa# assigned
7) 485 is approved

Thanks!

Thanks maxwellhouse!

Seems a good summary.
So I am probably at step 2, not even half way through.

I have already sent the congressional inquiry / pressing letter to get done with every that can be done before/during the time frame of when the PD becomes current.

case may be approved prior to biometrics recd.

you may get approved prior to biometrics recd. but card production is ordered only after biometrics are uploaded in the "right" system.

GC approval happens if and only if all these below conditions are met:

1) background/name check/FP results(biometrics) all received and cleared
2) case has been reviewed by officer and needs no more evidence (RFEs)
3) visa bulletin for that country/category is current
4) case is assigned to an adjudicating officer (remember even if all above steps 1, 2 and 3 are clear and if your case is not assigned to an adjudicating officer yet then you still wont get approval even if visa bulletin is current)
5) adjudicating officer requests thru an online system Dept. of State (DOS) for a visa# if visa bulletin is current
6) DOS sends back with a visa# assigned
7) 485 is approved

I found I-485 Standard Operating Procedure Overview, page 131 under workload distribution, it says "....Workload Distribution file connects these pieces of evidence with the appropriate case and then returns them to the adjudicator who originated the Request for Evidence." So I think a case is assigned to adjudicator before he/she issue RFE (additional info. not initial one) if needed. But this procedure is pretty old and seems outdated, so I really don't know for sure.

Last edited by a moderator: