Impact on H1-B and H4 after getting EAD from approved I485

varajput

I am on H1-B visa and my wife is on H4 Visa, stamped in our passport, validity till Jan 2026.

We got our EAD after our I485 approval. I am using my H1-B visa for my Job and My wife started working after getting EAD and using EAD(from I485) for job.

Does it mean.

1. She lost her H4 visa and now she will only be able to enter US (if we go outside US)using her Advance Parol?
  2. Does it mean I also lost my H1-B and have to use Advance Parol to enter US(if we go outside US).
  3. If answer for 2nd question is yes then does it mean I have to give EAD to my employer and asking them to use it for employment purpose.

1. She has lost H4 status. Her H4 visa is still valid, and she can still use it to enter the US as long as you are in H1b status. But if she subsequently works using the I-485 EAD, she will lose H4 status again.
2. No, you have not lost H1b status.

1. She has lost H4 status. Her H4 visa is still valid, and she can still use it to enter the US as long as you are in H1b status. But if she subsequently works using the I-485 EAD, she will lose H4 status again.
2. No, you have not lost H1b status.
Are you saying - even though she is working on I485 EAD, We can keep renewing H1-B(husband) and H4(wife) and getting visa stamp and keep entering on Visa.

Wait, I missed the part when you said "I-485 approval". If I-485 is approved, you are a US permanent resident (i.e. green card holder). You don't need EAD. And you cease to have H1b status, and your spouse cannot have H4 status. Do you mean something else is approved?

After receiving the EAD, the I-485 holder can work anywhere, not just for the sponsoring company, as is required for the H1-B visa. For spouses with an H4 visa, this also opens up the possibility of working. Additionally, once an EAD is received, the I-485 holder and their family members may benefit from AP eligibility, allowing them to travel outside the United States without risk of loss of status. However, it is worth remembering that if an I-485 holder loses a job or declines a job offer, this may affect the status of their H1-B visa and their spouse's H4 visa. In the event of job loss, the I-485 holder may consider obtaining a new job or renewing the H1-B visa to avoid loss of status.