immigrate to canada with RTD

anotherway

Registered Users (C)
I applied to immigrate to Canada last year as a skilled worker (engineer) .. I received an approval letter 2 days ago .. I am asylum waiting for my GC .. can I used RTD to go to Canada as an immigrant .. is that will effect my status

Any idea ?!! :confused:

anotherway said:
I applied to immigrate to Canada last year as a skilled worker (engineer) .. I received an approval letter 2 days ago .. I am asylum waiting for my GC .. can I used RTD to go to Canada as an immigrant .. is that will effect my status

You will almost certainly lose your U.S. asylum status and have your I-485 denied.

Why will you use your RTD? Hello when you applied for canadian immigration, you gave copies of your Home Country Passport..RIGHT??..They wouldn't even honor a RTD.

anotherway said:

You have to make up your mind. If you immigrate to Canada you have to give up your immigration status in the United States (whether it is asylee or LPR). Why would you want to go to Canada to start over? Are you unhappy here?

Let me answer that. As a permanenet resident of canada :
You can work and live in US
Go whereever in the world , you wanna go. Even your home country.
It's faster. It takes couple to years to get permanent residency in Canada.
It's faster to get citizenship in canada.
What else??

Asylee13 ... you are absolutely right ... the word is FASTER .. no 10 years wating for GC and the other craps .. plus I will be able to adjust my family status through me which is impossible to do here in the state .. as an asylums we don't have right in this country 10 years waiting for GC .. I think they look @ us as a third class people or less ..
I have a freind in Canada he got his CS in 3 years .. yes 3years !!

anotherway said:
Asylee13 ... you are absolutely right ... the word is FASTER .. no 10 years wating for GC and the other craps .. plus I will be able to adjust my family status through me which is impossible to do here in the state .. as an asylums we don't have right in this country 10 years waiting for GC .. I think they look @ us as a third class people or less ..
I have a freind in Canada he got his CS in 3 years .. yes 3years !!

If you become a Canadian immigrant, you CANNOT keep your asylum or green card status in the United States. That was my whole point. You have to choose one country or the other, not both.

Last edited by a moderator:
anotherway said:

I know a few people who did that. They had to give up their US immigration status.

you might be right about losing status in the US .. but is this the case also ... if going there with a temp job contract and come back?!!

waitinglifetime said:
you might be right about losing status in the US .. but is this the case also ... if going there with a temp job contract and come back?!!

A TEMPORARY job is probably OK. When you are an asylee here, you will have your asylum grant revoked by the USCIS if you obtain protection from another country. And permanent residence in Canana certainly qualifies as protection. When you are a US green card holder, you have to make the US your permanent home in order to retain your green card. If you abandon the US as your permanent home they will have to take away your green card. When you take home residence in Canada you will have to abandon your US residence.

BTW, Canada and Australia have similar requirements on their immigrants.

This is a hypothetical question. If someone (asylee or PR) get married to a foreign person (say Japan) and got PR (through marriage) of that Country, will INS revoke his or her status in US? What is the rules surrounding this issue. Does INS assumes that if an asylee obtains PR through marriage (marrying person living outside US--which could always happen) as a protection by another country?

bornTwice

bornTwice said:
This is a hypothetical question. If someone (asylee or PR) get married to a foreign person (say Japan) and got PR (through marriage) of that Country, will INS revoke his or her status in US? What is the rules surrounding this issue. Does INS assumes that if an asylee obtains PR through marriage (marrying person living outside US--which could always happen) as a protection by another country?

bornTwice

I would say yes if you go and live there.

bornTwice said:

bornTwice

Assume that the marriage is between a Japanese programmer working at Microsoft (who obtains PR thru employment) and a US asylee living in US.

bornTwice said:
Assume that the marriage is between a Japanese programmer working at Microsoft (who obtains PR thru employment) and a US asylee living in US.

You should be fine as long as you do not move to Japan and set up a home there.

Asylee13 said:
Let me answer that. As a permanenet resident of canada :
You can work and live in US
Go whereever in the world , you wanna go. Even your home country.
It's faster. It takes couple to years to get permanent residency in Canada.
It's faster to get citizenship in canada.
What else??

Who told you that "As a permanenet resident of canada , You can work and live in US"

You cannot live in the US just because you are Canadian PR. They even need a visa to visit US now. (I have known young Canadian Citizen friends, immigrants of course not born canadians, who were returned back from US border even when they waved their "Canadian Passports". Being a Canadian Citizen even does not allow guaranteed entry into the US nowadays.

Canada PR - time period

anotherway said:
I applied to immigrate to Canada last year as a skilled worker (engineer) .. I received an approval letter 2 days ago .. I am asylum waiting for my GC .......

can you please tell us when did you apply for the Canadian immigration. I mean how long it took u to get the approval