Immediate travel after citizenship

Invienna

Registered Users (C)
I stayed for just 3 days in US after I got my citizenship. Immediately got my passport and flew out to India. can this hurt my citizeship status in any way?

I stayed for just 3 days in US after I got my citizenship. Immediately got my passport and flew out to India. can this hurt my citizeship status in any way?

Absolutey not. Once you are a citizen, be bold! You can travel anywhere in the world and to most part without even a visa. That is great thing about havign a USA passport. Stop worrying now on.. you had enough worries with H1, labor, i140, i485, ead, gc, n400, FP, interview, and oath.

How did you get the passport and India visa so quickly

Didn't you have to have Indian passport cancelled? How did you do that?

How did you enter India without a visa?

Hi
Would appreciate if you could tell me how you entered India without a visa? Or did you get the same day visitor visa, because PIO or OCI is not that fast?
-nitinkrsri

THE BELOW IS BASED PURELY ON HEARSAY, AND FROM WHAT I INFERRED FROM VARIOUS WEBSITES:

MANY naturalized US citizens travel to their home countries using their non-US passports, even though it may or may not be legal.

Reason: They are simply not aware of the rules, or even if they are, they just do it anyway. They think it's their right to use their native passports.

This is not an indictment of anyone, just stating what I believe is happening.

realnewbie - that is not my understanding in the general case (as I am not familiar with India specifically). I am not aware that the US has "rules" about dual citizenship and dual passports, except that you must use a US passport to enter the US if you are a US citizen. The US does not encourage dual citizenship because the citizen is subject both to US and home country laws etc. However dual citizenship and dual passports are permitted as long as the home country does not otherwise have any rules about this regarding US citizens.

I believe I am correct in this. Anyone else tell me otherwise?

To: realnewbie

Would it be problem if someone travels to India on Indian passort (after getting U.S passport)? What if one wants to apply for dual citizenship when in India?

To: others
Has anyone filed 'Declaration of renunciation of Indian citizenship'? Does the last part of form to be signed by someone else to vouch for correctness? Can that other person be Indian citizen or has to be U.S citizen?

To: realnewbie

Would it be problem if someone travels to India on Indian passort (after getting U.S passport)? What if one wants to apply for dual citizenship when in India?

To: others
Has anyone filed 'Declaration of renunciation of Indian citizenship'? Does the last part of form to be signed by someone else to vouch for correctness? Can that other person be Indian citizen or has to be U.S citizen?

I am not realnewbie but it would be a problem if you travel on Indian passport once you take oath (and become US citizen) Your Indian citizenship is revoked the moment you became US citizen.

India does not have true duel citizenship. Which is why you can get OCI card not passport once you are US citizen. They cancel your Indian passport and give you a document that allows you to stay in India (lifelong visa) but even then it is not citizenship .

About 'Declaration of renunciation of Indian citizenship', I think that requirement has been done away with. You do not need to file that. Once you apply for OCI and send Indian passport, they cancel it for you. For Visa, you apply like all americans using US passport.

I think conditions apply for US citizenship if you intend to move permanently to India right after ot was given to you..... Any corrections???

Thanks N400ATL.

Rick92: I don't think there are any conditions if one intends to move permanently to India right after oath. If i am wrong, please correct me.

Thanks N400ATL.

Rick92: I don't think there are any conditions if one intends to move permanently to India right after oath. If i am wrong, please correct me.

This was the rule but court overturned it. Earlier (I think in 1995-96) there was a rule that you have to stay in US atleast a year before leaving. Court ruled against it since such a rule does not exist for born here US citizens and by having that rule for naturalized citizens, USCIS is creating two classes of citizens. That rule no longer applies.

Sorry for responding so late... but for what it's worth:

kckfs: The Indian government does not allow the use of Indian passports for travel, once an Indian becomes a citizen of another country.

reliableman: It could (would) be a problem if one uses an Indian passport to travel after they have acquired the citizenship of another country.

Regards.