I'm not an AS6, but the card says I am...

cafeconleche

Registered Users (C)
Hey guys,

I never bothered about this before, but on my GC my category is shown as AS6, but I'm not the primary asylee. I'm the child of the primary asylee. Should I have checked and pointed this out to USCIS when I first got the card? I didn't even know that I'm not an AS6 until recently, and I got the card in March of 2006...

So far, I haven't had any problems (touch wood?), but I'm worried that, eventually, something will come up. What do you think this means for me?

Really? I thought AS6=principal asylee, AS7=spouse and AS8=children. That's what the literature says... apparently there is no AS5.

Hey guys,

I never bothered about this before, but on my GC my category is shown as AS6, but I'm not the primary asylee. I'm the child of the primary asylee. Should I have checked and pointed this out to USCIS when I first got the card? I didn't even know that I'm not an AS6 until recently, and I got the card in March of 2006...

So far, I haven't had any problems (touch wood?), but I'm worried that, eventually, something will come up. What do you think this means for me?

It can be a problem if you visit your COP. There was a memo published sometimes back that said that derivates(asylees) were ok to visit COP. Since you are not an asylee anymore, it won't matter.. but just in case in the USC interview they make a big deal, the categories could be help for you if you visited your COP.

I would fix it.

It makes no difference

If I was you, I would not send my card back for a Million dollars. Now tha you have it, keep it and enjoy it.
If you send it back you are in risk of having to wait another year or two to get it back corrected.
By the way, how old are you? Because if you are a son of an asylee but are 21 or older, you would have to become a principal because you out aged the petition.
Its up to you. This is just my thinking!
:)

If I was you, I would not send my card back for a Million dollars. Now tha you have it, keep it and enjoy it.
If you send it back you are in risk of having to wait another year or two to get it back corrected.
By the way, how old are you? Because if you are a son of an asylee but are 21 or older, you would have to become a principal because you out aged the petition.
Its up to you. This is just my thinking!
:)

Hmm, I did get the card when I was 22. Is that why I'm an AS6? You're right about having to wait a long time to get the card back, so I'm not really keen on sending it in. I'm not going back to my COP until I get my citizenship, anyway. Oh well, once again, I have been left confused by USCIS... BIG surprise, eh?

Common send it back- It will create an issue on a later date. INS is changing by the day.

Hmm, I did get the card when I was 22. Is that why I'm an AS6? You're right about having to wait a long time to get the card back, so I'm not really keen on sending it in. I'm not going back to my COP until I get my citizenship, anyway. Oh well, once again, I have been left confused by USCIS... BIG surprise, eh?

I may be in the same situation as you. I got my asylum through an I-730 and then had to file a nunc pro tunc asylum application to convert my status from derivative to that of a principal. Perhaps this is done automatically now and your AS6 code is correct? My green card does say AS6 but that was expected since I underwent the NPT process.

If you are not planning on going back to your COP it make no sense sending it back, just keep it and wait for your citizenship, I don't see why you will have a problem at the citizenship stage.

Non Proc Tunc

Cafeconleche:

The reason why your card is A6 is because you are older than 21 and you have to file your own case now. Luckily you did not have to go to a second interview where you had to file a Non Proc Tunc.

If you return your card, you will be called for an interview in order for them to open a new case under your name. Relax and enjoy.

and...calladito te ves mas bonito!
:D

Hmm, I don't want to have to be interviewed. What is this 'Non Proc Tunc?' I'm definitely not sending it in, then. I guess my code is fine. I hope no USCIS people are reading this, though. I'll be in big trouble.

By the way, it looks like people think I'm Hispanic because of my nickname here. Alas, I am not. I do understand Spanish, so no problems there, but I don't want to give people the wrong impression. Hehe.

Viva la revolución!

Just kidding...

Last edited by a moderator:
I am on same page...

Dear,

I am not pricipal asylee, I am a child of principal asylee. But, i filed for readjustment by my self, and When i recievd my Green Card the Code dispalyeed as [ AS6], I came acorss it a while ago and i consult the forum as to what to do, They told me to stick with it. And, I am because, you don't know How long is going to take this people to process the correction.

I know if you ask Wantmygcnow, Cadel they are very good at knowing how to resolve such an issue.

good luck...

Hey guys,

Leave this issue alone.

Leave this issue alone.
I have received my Green Card with the same mistake - AS6, instead of AS7
Now, my concern is that when I go back to my country - which is NOT the country of persecution - could they assume that all this time I have been going to COP??
The card itself doesn't show from what country I have received the asylum, so if I'm AS6 and going back to country of my citizenship the assumption could be that I have been going to COP, since usually one will get asylum from country of his/her citizenship??

I have received my Green Card with the same mistake - AS6, instead of AS7
Now, my concern is that when I go back to my country - which is NOT the country of prosecution - could they assume that all this time I have been going to COP??
The card itself doesn't show from what country I have received the asylum, so if I'm AS6 and going back to country of my citizenship the assumption could be that I have been going to COP, since usually one will get asylum from country of his/her citizenship??

How is it possible? You and your spouse have different countries of nationality?

I can understand why you want to have it changed. Just understand that it could take a long time. And if you keep the card and if you ever get questioned for your trips you will have a chance to explain yourself.

Hi guys. This is my first message here. I need your advice. I'm colombian, and I want to go on vacation to my country. I have Asylee status, but I don't have my GC yet; however, I have my Refugee Travel Document. Do you think, guys, that I should visit my country using this document????

I'd like to read EVERYTHING you think about it.

Thank you.

Hi guys. This is my first message here. I need your advice. I'm colombian, and I want to go on vacation to my country. I have Asylee status, but I don't have my GC yet; however, I have my Refugee Travel Document. Do you think, guys, that I should visit my country using this document????

I'd like to read EVERYTHING you think about it.

Thank you.

Your asylum status be terminated and you should be sent to your country for a permanent vacation.

Agree
And you don't have to go anywhere for vacation, Vacation 365 days a year!

And by the way Colombiano11 are you OK, why are you posting the same message in every section, I remember seeing your post in Citizenship section.

Can't wait go back to COP? need advice ASAP? Just go to www.travelocity.com get yourself a ticket to COP.
One-way tickets they not that expensive!