I'm Finally Done!

SlowJedi

Registered Users (C)
Well, I finally got sworn in today and became a citizen.

I filed a WOM in March of this year after waiting for 18 months for the name check, 60 days was over in the end of May and we were supposed to have a preliminary meeting with the judge in two weeks. All of a sudden things started hapenning, I was called for the update fingerpting appointment last week, and then I had a N400 appointment at the local USBCIS office today, just a quick formality. Then they just told me to go and have a breakfast while the file goes back for verification and come back in an hour to pick up the oath letter. Instead, the officer call me on my cell phone about an hour later, and told me to come a little later and I would be sworn in right there in the office.

By lunch time I was a happy US citizen with a certificate, letter from Bush (personally written just for me, of course) and a little American flag (made in China, I'm sure).

My time line:
N-400 filed - February 2004
1st FP - March 2004
Interview - August 2004 (passed, sent for a name check due to name change)
WOM filed March 2006
60-days over - May 2006
2nd FP - June 14, 2006
Re-Interview and Citizenship oath - TODAY!

Feels good and relieved. Looking back, two things:
(1) I should have filed a WOM a year ago, as soon as 121st day after the interview passed, I should be filing, instead of waiting.
(2) Even if an attorney files your paperwork, make sure to check everything before it goes out. Once it's in the system, any mistakes or ommissions will cost you dearly. In my case, my attorney forgot to include one of the name variations into my N400, that's where all crap started from.

Today is the time for a lot of Stoli's and Margaritas. Tomorrow, it's time to start it all over again - we are now applying for my wife's Green Card. Here we go again :))

Last edited by a moderator:
SlowJedi said:
Well, I finally got sworn in today and became a citizen.

I filed a WOM in March of this year after waiting for 18 months for the name check, 60 days was over in the end of May and we were supposed to have a preliminary meeting with the judge in two weeks. All of a sudden things started hapenning, I was called for the update fingerpting appointment last week, and then I had a N400 appointment at the local USBCIS office today, just a quick formality. Then they just told me to go and have a breakfast while the file goes back for verification and come back in an hour to pick up the oath letter. Instead, the officer call me on my cell phone about an hour later, and told me to come a little later and I would be sworn in right there in the office.

By lunch time I was a happy US citizen with a certificate, letter from Bush (personally written just for me, of course) and a little American flag (made in China, I'm sure).

My time line:
N-400 filed - February 2004
1st FP - March 2004
Interview - August 2004 (passed, sent for a name check due to name change)
WOM filed March 2006
60-days over - May 2006
2nd FP - June 14, 2006
Re-Interview and Citizenship oath - TODAY!

Feels good and relieved. Looking back, two things:
(1) I should have filed a WOM a year ago, as soon as 121st day after the interview passed, I should be filing, instead of waiting.
(2) Even if an attorney files your paperwork, make sure to check everything before it goes out. Once it's in the system, any mistakes or ommissions will cost you dearly. In my case, my attorney forgot to include one of the name variations into my N400, that's where all crap started from.

Today is the time for a lot of Stoli's and Margaritas. Tomorrow, it's time to start it all over again - we are now applying for my wife's Green Card. Here we go again :))

congratulation!!!!!

SlowJedi:

Can you pls. explain the procedure for this WOM filing. What is WOM? How did you do it? How much did it cost you? Did you take the help of a lawyer or is it simple enough to file it by ourselves. This will be very helpful for this forum members. Also, What is your DO?

In my case name check is Ok but caught in the dual file quagmire. I intend to start something immediately after 120 days if nothing is heard.

Thanks in advance.

Atlanta_desi said:
SlowJedi:

Can you pls. explain the procedure for this WOM filing. What is WOM? How did you do it? How much did it cost you? Did you take the help of a lawyer or is it simple enough to file it by ourselves. This will be very helpful for this forum members. Also, What is your DO?

In my case name check is Ok but caught in the dual file quagmire. I intend to start something immediately after 120 days if nothing is heard.

Thanks in advance.

You'll find all the info you need (and much more) here:

http://www.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?t=194681

WOM stands for Writ of Mandamus.

Atlanta_desi said:
SlowJedi:

Thanks in advance.

As Suzi stated, WOM stands for Writ of Mandamus. I did use a law firm (that I found thru this forum, THANK YOU). It cost me all and all about $4500 in additional legal costs, but I should have paid it earlier and be done with it. I would not do it myself, even though I have two Masters, I prefer to do things that I'm good at and pay somebody to do what they are good at.

I'm in San Diego DO.

Good luck to all.

No need, we dismissed the case, since it's resolved. And that's the whole reason for the things to start moving faster. If the government ends up in court over their own delay, they might end up paying your legal expenses, and they really don't want to do it. Therefore, they try to resolve everything prior to going to court.

Thanks to everybody.

can you share info about the attorney you hired

SlowJedi: can you please share with us which attorney you hired? like you I live in San diego county. I am thinking going after 1447b if nothing happens in 120 days since my interview on 6/6/6. Thanks.

SlowJedi said:
As Suzi stated, WOM stands for Writ of Mandamus. I did use a law firm (that I found thru this forum, THANK YOU). It cost me all and all about $4500 in additional legal costs, but I should have paid it earlier and be done with it. I would not do it myself, even though I have two Masters, I prefer to do things that I'm good at and pay somebody to do what they are good at.

I'm in San Diego DO.

Good luck to all.

it shows that you just have to kick INS in its sorry rear-end for it to do its job.

no other alternative.

Suzy, SlowJedi, Thanks for your responses.

Do you think it will be a good idea to write a letter (similar to the one written by your lawyer) before filing to see the judge. I think it is called an intent to sue. Did you do this or did you actually sue them?

Thanks Again.

Atlanta_desi said:

Do you think it will be a good idea to write a letter (similar to the one written by your lawyer) before filing to see the judge. I think it is called an intent to sue. Did you do this or did you actually sue them?

Thanks Again.

i dont knwo much about WOM..nor the difference between wom and 1447 or if they are the same...never wanted to know about it...unfortunatly,the speed my case is moving i might have to start researching on those options...anyways this is a very good link go through the docs'''

http://www.ailf.org/lac/lac_pa_100605.pdf

also notice the author mention tht it is good to give the uscis a advance warning...but be careful do this if u think there is no fault on ur side...

thanks a ton.......

ram

Last edited by a moderator:
Atlanta_desi said:

Thanks Again.

In my opinion a "intent to sue" letter it's a waste of time.

I don't even believe USCIS is reading these letters, needles to say that they don't respond and don't lift a finger before being actually sued.

P.S. I was hopping querry11 was banned, but I see that he's still around :D :D

Atlanta_desi said:

We did both, but like Suzy said, the warning shot was a waste of time, they didn't even respond to that. However, I would still do it, just in case. Don't give them 60 days like we did, give them 30 days, if eventually you end up in front of the judge, it'll look good on your side that you tried to resolve it any other way but the lawsuit, and your chances of winning your legal expenses are higher, in my (non-legal) opinion.

querry11, Thanks for the link. Suzy, Slow Jedi, Thanks for your inputs. I am readying everything so I'll be ready once 120 days are up. Still if there are a step-by-step do-it-yourself method for 'Petition for Hearing on Naturalization Application' with the Dictrict Court, it will be very useful link.

Thanks Again.