Illinois' driving license for F1 Visas (Student)

neock

Hi,
I am a new foreign student on a F1-Visa, in illinois.
I wish to obtain a driving license in order to drive to college...( i dont have a driving license from my home country).
First, I went on the Illinois' Dmv website, but it says I must get a Social Security #number in order to get a driving license in illinois.
So i went on the SS# website of illinois, but they don't give any SS# to non-immigrant status, as F1 visas... The only way to get the SS# on this status is to get an On Campus Employement. But the university I'm into doesn't have anymore places for a On campus job...
My first class begins on the Jan10th. My classes finish every day at 9:50 PM, and at that time there is absolutely no transportation to my home...! :mad: :mad: :mad:

1) am I allowed to get a driving license in an other state wich doesn't ask for SS#
2) is there any other issues to obtain a Dlicense in illinois without a SS#
3) or if you have any solutions to my problem.... :)
Thank you,
Neock.

Go to your school

The first thing you should have done was go to the International Office of your school. Irrespective of you needing an On campus employment you have to get a SSN in this country.

SSN for F1 students

Go to your International Student Advisor and ask for a letter to get SSN. Bring this letter to the SSN office and they will give one.

Re: Illinois Driver License

You cannot get a Social Security number unless you have arranged for legal work, which in your case would only be on campus. These are new regulations established by the Social Security Administration effective from October, 2004, and there is nothing your school or adviser can do about it.

However, starting from January 1, 2005, the State of Illinois issues a Temporary Visitor's driver license which may be obtained without a Social Security number. For more info, go to http://www.sos.state.il.us/departments/drivers/drivers_license/tempvisitordl.html .

You need documentation from the SSA that you are ineligible for a SSN. Go there, bring all your ID and legal presence documents, and ask for it. If they refuse, or say that they will only issue it if requested by the State, fill out an application, check "Legal Alien not Allowed to Work" and present your documents, and ask for a "Form SSA-L676 SSN Card Denial Notice." If you turn in your application, they have to process it, and since you are ineligible they have to give you that form. If they don't, ask for it by name and number. That form will be sufficient to prove to the driver license people that you are ineligible for a SSN. Then bring that notice along with all your ID and legal presence documents and you can now get a Temporary Visitor's driver license.

For the record, you cannot get a driver license from a state other than the one in which you live. But since you are now able to get one in Illinois, you should be fine.

Good luck!

neock said:
Hi,
I am a new foreign student on a F1-Visa, in illinois.
I wish to obtain a driving license in order to drive to college...( i dont have a driving license from my home country).
First, I went on the Illinois' Dmv website, but it says I must get a Social Security #number in order to get a driving license in illinois.
So i went on the SS# website of illinois, but they don't give any SS# to non-immigrant status, as F1 visas... The only way to get the SS# on this status is to get an On Campus Employement. But the university I'm into doesn't have anymore places for a On campus job...
My first class begins on the Jan10th. My classes finish every day at 9:50 PM, and at that time there is absolutely no transportation to my home...! :mad: :mad: :mad:

1) am I allowed to get a driving license in an other state wich doesn't ask for SS#
2) is there any other issues to obtain a Dlicense in illinois without a SS#
3) or if you have any solutions to my problem.... :)
Thank you,
Neock.