Illegal Immigrant lacking valid ID trying to get a marriage license.

sukiii

Hello! Im looking for some advice and information about my issue. When I was 2, my parents came here on a visa but overstayed it and consequently i'm illegal. I'm now trying to get married to my boyfriend but i've read that marriage licenses require valid ID. Im in the state of Kentucky.

I have the following documents:
- original and translated birth certificate
- expired passport with the expired visa information (i believe this is proof of lawful entry)

I do not have a drivers license, state id, etc.
Is there any way I can get married?

Can't you get a new passport from the consulate of your country of nationality?

Last edited:
Can't you get a new passport from the consulate of your country of nationality?
I looked into that, and unfortunately found that I do not meet the requirements to obtain a new passport from inside the US as you must be a legal citizen.

I looked into that, and unfortunately found that I do not meet the requirements to obtain a new passport from inside the US as you must be a legal citizen.
What country is it? That doesn't make sense, as whether you are a US citizen has no relevance to your having a passport from your other country of citizenship? Do you mean they want evidence of your status in the US? But even for those, it's usually to check that you have not become a US citizen, and they will still issue you a passport, or at least some other kind of temporary travel document, if you have no status. (Think about it, if the US wanted to deport you, then they would have to get that country to issue you a passport or some other travel document so you can enter that country, so obviously it must be possible to get such a document even if you do not have status.)

What country is it? That doesn't make sense, as whether you are a US citizen has no relevance to your having a passport from your other country of citizenship? Do you mean they want evidence of your status in the US? But even for those, it's usually to check that you have not become a US citizen, and they will still issue you a passport, or at least some other kind of temporary travel document, if you have no status. (Think about it, if the US wanted to deport you, then they would have to get that country to issue you a passport or some other travel document so you can enter that country, so obviously it must be possible to get such a document even if you do not have status.)
I need proof of address in India; I need a utility bill or something of that sort. Since I've been here since I was two, I don't actually live in India or have a permanent residence there, so I cannot have my passport renewed.

So you are an Indian citizen? It is possible to get an "Emergency Certificate" (a passport-like travel document for travel back to India) if you don't have status in the US. However, I think they will only issue this if you are using it to go back to India. I doubt the will issue it to you if you just want to use it as an ID for marriage.

Is there some county in Kentucky that will allow you to get a marriage license without ID? Or will they accept an expired passport or a birth certificate instead? Or a neighboring state that will allow you to get married there without ID and without living there?