If I marry a US citizen, can I keep my J-1 non-immigrant status?

igo

I hope that it is not mandatory to change status after the marriage a US citizen. I need to get one more visa J-1 to complete my PhD program. I am not "subject to Section 212 (e)"
Can I keep my non-immigrant status after marriage?
Would I have any problems with receiving one more J-1 visa and entering the US?
Thank you.

If you marry a USC, file for adjustment and become an LPR, you can continue your education and associated work (internship?), if any, in the U.S. If your J-1 visa states right on it that you are not subject to 212(e) then you don't even require any waiver to adjust as a spouse of a USC.

Is there some particular reason why you would need to keep being a J-1 to complete your PhD program?

BUT, NO, it is not mandatory to stop being a J-1 just because of a marriage.

Thank you, BigJoe5.
My situation is more complex because I have 2year requirement from my previous program. My visas state the following:

1) Visa 2004, Feb-June "Bearer is subject to Section 212(e). Two year rules applies, Russia"

2) Visa Aug 2004-Aug 2006
"Bearer is not subject to Section 212(e). Two year rule does not apply Russia. Must satisfy 2 tear rule from previous visa"

3) Visa July 2007 - July 2010 and Visa Dec 2010 - Dec 2011 "Bearer is not subject to Section 212(e). Two year rule does not apply Russia"

I go frequently to my home country, Russia, and collect months to satisfy the requirement from J-1 visa issued in 2004. I have 7 months left on this requirement.

I did not think about changing my current status to F-1 because my J-1 gives me 36 months for Academic Training after I complete my PhD. Having these 36 months I feel more safe for accomplishing the rest of 2 year requirement.

Am I right?
What are your suggestions?
Thank you again.

If I were in your situation, I would ask for an Advisory Opinion from the U.S. State Department. The skills list got updated and some countries dropped off either completely or in certain categories. The DOS website indicates that if you dropped off the list (depending on certain dates etc..) the requirement MAY have gone away.

FROM: http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/types/types_4514.html

Effective Date – Which Skills List Applies?

The 2009 Skills List applies to exchange visitors who receive their J-1 visa on or after June 28, 2009, and whose country is on the 2009 Skills List. Exchange visitors who entered the U.S. prior to June 28, 2009 continue to be governed by the skills list that was in effect when they received their J-1 visa. Exchange visitors whose countries were removed from the 2009 Skills List, are, retroactively, not subject to the two-year home residence requirement based on the Exchange Visitor Skills List, even if they entered the United States prior to the effective date.