ID card in Ontario

Depika

Registered Users (C)
ID card in Ontario
Does anybody know If I can get ID card from Ontario, I do not want to exchange my Illinois driver license with Ontario DL. I just want to get Ontario ID. Thanks to all.

ID card in Ontario
Does anybody know If I can get ID card from Ontario, I do not want to exchange my Illinois driver license with Ontario DL. I just want to get Ontario ID. Thanks to all.
----- Vancouver has state ID like US but Ontario has no state ID, the DL or heath card are the ID in Ontario. If you don’t want to surrender the US DL better show the Indian driving license and International driving license (may be expired that you got from India) don’t show or discuss your US DL. Go to any Driving license center in Ontario give the knowledge written test and get G1 driving license and that is your Ontario ID.

If you can provide, PR card or Landing document, Passport AND utility bills, Cable bill, telephone bill of you Canada phone, apartment rental lease (Canada), bank statement from Canada bank for last 3 months then you can also get OHIP health card that is also Ontario ID. Search Google and read requirement for OHIP.
*** if you need Ontario ID to Pick up PR card it is NOT needed, they just see the letter to Pick up the card , your Passport and landing paper. You may have noted on Pick up letter that they need to see Ontario ID to pick up the card but nobody at CIC Toronto office asks other ID

Exchange US DL

I talked with both Illinois DMV and DMO(In Ontario) and they confirmed Ontario and Illinois DL are easily exchangeable.If you have US DL for more than 2 years you will get Ontario G licence otherwise they will issue G2 licence
If you are not planning to stay in Canada and want to return back US probably you don't need to exchange your US DL at all you still can drive in Ontario for 3 months using your US DL.
If you want to stay in Canada for longer time it is better to exchange your US DL.Legallly you can't carry US and Ontario DL at the same time and as DL is one of the mostly used ID across US and Canada there could be always a risk if you lie to DMO and carry both US DL and Ontario DL
Ginnu is right that to get your PR card you don't need any other secondary photo ID issued by a Canadian Govt.You can show your US DL as secondary photo ID(I checked with CIC ,Toronto office)
Thanks

Ontario DL

Thanks to all,
Ani70 : Do you know if Michigan and Ontario DL exchangeable, Also do you know if the Canadian will take the American DL before they issue Ontario DL or they just look at it and give it back to you.

Do you know if Michigan and Ontario DL exchangeable, Also do you know if the Canadian will take the American DL before they issue Ontario DL or they just look at it and give it back to you.
-------------------Michigan DL can be exchanged with Ontario DL, when you exchange they will keep the American DL with them and give you Ontario DL

Ontario DL

In case a person does not want to exchange his U.S driver license with a Canadian one and he want to get a new Ontario DL, can he do that in a one week period, what is the process of getting a new Ontario DL.

Thanks

In case a person does not want to exchange his U.S driver license with a Canadian one and he want to get a new Ontario DL, can he do that in a one week period, what is the process of getting a new Ontario DL.

----- Visit any driving license office in Ontario. Don’t discuss or show your US License, if you have any DL or international driving license from India you can show (may get credit) read the Ontario Driving license book (you can also read online) then appear for knowledge test it is very easy and you will get G1 license, if you are ready you may take G2 road test. Read all the info:
http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/driver/drvlicen.htm

anyone knows how fast you get the license exchanged?

do you get it on site?

or you get it later on?

Thanks

anyone knows how fast you get the license exchanged?

do you get it on site?
------- on site if you exchange