I talked with NVC regarding changes effective from Jan2

bunty_420

Registered Users (C)
I talked with NVC today and they told me that the only change effective from Jan. 2nd will be....we are supoosed to send the P3 back to NVC along with the required papers(which we will be taking to Indian consulate at the time of appointment).They will review the Documents and then send it to the consulate. Does anyone have any idea how much time the NVC will take to review the documents and is there any change in the required documents?

Anything from two to four months for NVC review, more with "backlogs"

The "only change" that you mention is actually a big change. It may add anything from two to four months to your processing time.

Depending on how many consulates NVC has "internalized", there is also a possibility of "backlogs", and may result in a total processing time (from CP filing till interview) of six to nine months. The effect will be gradual though. So current CP\'ers won\'t be impacted significantly.

sending packet3 to NVC

Hai,

Is there a way we can download packet 3 from the internt and send it to NVC once our case is entered in the system. Should we wait to get the packet 3 from NVC?

Any idea?

NVC Operator -- Said make sure Attorney reads the instructions ...

in the packet of information that the NVC sends to the Attorney because there might be a few changes. I would suggest you should wait to make sure what they are asking for. I have also heard that the NVC might want us to send originals as well as photocopies to them -- its better to be careful in that case.

No Title

Thanks Rohtak!

I would rather wait till we receive the packet from NVC.
Thanks again for the information.

What are the implications of the new process?

I understand that they want to centralize the P3 processing at NVC and perhaps achieve consistency across consulates. But:

(i) If NVC reviews P3 and even required documents for the interview (if confirmed), what is there left for the consulate to do except evaluate the medical reports and issue the visa papers?

(ii) Is it correct to conclude that the role of the consulate is to merely schedule appointments and issue visas (denying only on the basis of med. report)? IOW, there will not be further review/evaluation of supporting documents since NVC has already reviewed them?

MasterOfPuppets & Baba66:

Consider the following timeline (currently in effect for Montreal CP):

- INS notifies you (or lawyer) and NVC that the immigration petition (I-140) has been approved.
- NVC receives I-140 approval and creates an IV case
- NVC determines what documents are required and sends a Packet 3 to the attorney on file
- You (and / or attorney) gather all the required documents and send them with application fees to St. Louis
- St. Louis completes fees processing and sends Packet 3 to NVC
- NVC reviews Packet 3 (may issue "RFE" if documents are not in order) and submits your case for a visa number
- NVC obtains a visa number from DC, sets an interview date and sends Packet 4, along with instructions for medical
- You complete your medicals in the country where you plan to consular process
- You appear for the interview where a consular officer decides your case
- You make your entry into the US and live happily ever after!

Baba66: As you can see from the timeline, sending your own Packet 3 will not significantly reduce the processing time.

MasterOfPuppets: Yes, it is true that under the above process, nearly all the work will be done at NVC. However, the ultimate decision to admit a person as an immigrant will still be made by the consular officer. Unlike Adjustment of Status, you may be coming to the US for the first time via consular processing. The purpose of the interview is to validate the person(s) included in the application. Regardless of how trivial the interview is, it does provide an opportunity to the officer to examine you in person. (This is the reason why many consulates require first-timers for non-immigrant visas to appear in person, while applicants who wish to renew / extend their NIVs can use a drop box facility.) Also, the consular officer typically administers you an oath. Lying to a federal officer under oath is a felony.

Finally, NVC’s review of your application does not preclude a consular officer from scrutinizing your case. A Montreal candidate was put through the wringer even when all his documents were in order. Look up:

http://www.immigrationportal.com/WebX?128@@.efc2bec

Old Cases follow the old process

Talked with NVC and was told that since my case has been created, pkt 3 created and forwarded both to the attorney and consulate on Dec 18, I would follow the old process (i.e. mailing everything to the consulate in India and not NVC). Anyway after my attorney receives it I could confirm the above. Hope these attorneys don\'t play additional tricks.

My 2 cents !!!

No Title

but arn\'t we forgetting that this system (CP) is designed for people who are not currently in the US ? For ex., if you, as a citizen, sponsor your parents(from your home country), whats the point of them sending a P3 to NVC here in the US ?

The whole point of P3 is to send the information to the local consulate so that they can LOCALLY verify any information they need before they schedule your interview.

I hope they dont try to fix a working model.

New Rules and DS 230 Part II

Under new rules , would we also have to send DS230 Part II to NVC ? This is the form where one has to sign in front of consular officer. Right ? Please clarify.

Jawan: Packet 3 is not the same for all people.

In the old process, people could simply send a couple of documents in Packet 3 and furnish the rest in the interview. However, if NVC decides to review all documents before the consulate, they will specify what documents are needed in your Packet 3. Different people may have to provide different documents. So wait till you get your Packet 3 to know exactly what documents to send.

In my case (Montreal CP), we sent DS-230 part II with Packet 3.

Right, I just received Pkt 3, from NVC on Dec.18

With instructions to send it directly to the Consulate, and not to send anything to NVC.
I am waiting for pkt 4, now from Consulate and interview date.

Happy Happy very Happy

Does new procedure applies for AC 140 also

As per new procedure, Do AC140 needs to be routed through NVC or lawyer can directly send Packet 3 with CP intent to the Consulate.

Please include your I-140 approval date

Suggestion :

Please include the following :
I-140 approval date
Packet 3 Arrival date at applicant
Packet 4 Arrival date at applicant
Interview date at consulate

This way we will all get an idea of the time taken for each event.

New Rules for Consular Processing starting 2 Jan 2002

I called NVC this morning and was advised that the new procedures regarding Packet 3 and 4, are for those opting for consular process in India and Vietnam