1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I got my permanent resident visa, what next?

Discussion in 'The Physical Green Card' started by pscl, Jul 14, 2007.

  1. pscl

    pscl Registered Users (C)


    I got my immigrant visa and I am going to the US. I would be so grateful if you could let me know what the next processes will be to get my green card after my arrival to the US.

    Thanks a lot
  2. ginnu

    ginnu Registered Users (C)

    When you enter at US airport you will show your immigrant visa and you may be sent to other room where officer will take the papers and inter the info in USCIS computer system. The officer will take your fingerprint on white form that you will sign and then stamp your passport with your A # on it and that will be temporary GC stamp and you may get your Card at the US address that you provide in 1-2 months time. Once your passport is stamped you are GC holder then you need to visit Local SSA (social security administration) office fill up form and can apply for SSN and your SSN card will come to your US address in 10-20 days
  3. pscl

    pscl Registered Users (C)

    Thank you so much Ginnu for your help. My understanding from your words is that I cannot apply for SSN in the airport, am I right? Is there any possibility to apply for SSN in the airport or I must do it by visiting a local office in the area I am going to live?
  4. ginnu

    ginnu Registered Users (C)

  5. pscl

    pscl Registered Users (C)

    Many thanks to Ginnu.

    I have a question about the stuffs which an immigrant cannot bring to the US. If anybody knows about these forbidden stuffs, please kindly let me know.

    Thanks a lot.
  6. ginnu

    ginnu Registered Users (C)

    Go to www.cbp.gov or list what you want to bring and will let you know what NOT to bring
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2007
  7. colonel

    colonel Registered Users (C)

    Good luck to you, SS will take a couple o more months . It will take time to get in the system. after six months you 'll be Ok
  8. ginnu

    ginnu Registered Users (C)

    poster has got immigrant visa from US consulate and his/her info is in USCIS system and when he enter US with immigrant visa he will get his passport stamped at POE with A# and his A# will be entred in USCIS system. he/she can go to SSA office and can apply SSN and can get SSN in 10-15 days, it is NOT going to take 6 months to get SSN
  9. pscl

    pscl Registered Users (C)

    I have been told that my SSN will take about 3 weeks to be ready after my arrival.
    Thanks Ginnu for the URL. I will take a look at it.
  10. ifssi

    ifssi New Member

    process given by Ginnu , the first reply is the correct answer , i have the same case and same process , what i wante to add to this that since 2004 some us consulate issue a Machine Readable Immigrant Visa ,

    read this :
    Machine Readable Immigrant Visa with Temporary I-551 Language
    Beginning June 28, 2004, certain U.S. Embassies and Consulates will begin issuing the machine readable immigrant visa (MRIV) printed with the language, “UPON ENDORSEMENT SERVES AS TEMPORARY I-551 EVIDENCING PERMANENT RESIDENCE FOR 1 YEAR” in the body of the MRIV above the machine-readable zone (two lines of code at the bottom of the card). This language is almost identical to that contained in the Alien Documentation Identification and Telecommunication System (ADIT) Stamp, commonly referred to as the “Temporary I-551 Stamp” or “ADIT Stamp.” (See RM 00203.410B.3.) The Temporary I-551 Stamp denotes temporary evidence of lawful permanent resident status.

    The Department of State (DOS) officer at the Embassy or Consulate places the MRIV inside the immigrant’s passport, attached to one of the interior pages. (See the ACM, under document name “Immigrant Visa,” for an exhibit of the MRIV and its security features.) The MRIV shows the alien's identification number ("A" number) as the "Registration Number" in the upper right-hand corner of the MRIV.

    NOTE: Under limited circumstances, if a passport is unavailable, the DOS will issue the MRIV on a Form DS-232, Unrecognized Passport or Waiver Cases.

    When an alien is admitted to the U.S. as a permanent resident, the DHS Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officer places an admission stamp (RM 00203.450B.2.) on the upper portion of the MRIV with part of the admission stamp overlapping onto the adjoining page of the foreign passport. The CBP officer does not write the alien's "A" number on the admission stamp because it is on the MRIV. Also, the officer will not place a Temporary I-551 stamp in the foreign passport if the MRIV shows the statement, “UPON ENDORSEMENT SERVES AS TEMPORARY I-551 EVIDENCING PERMANENT RESIDENCE FOR 1 YEAR.”

    Treat an MRIV in an unexpired foreign passport that shows the above statement and is endorsed with an admission stamp the same as a valid Temporary I-551 stamp (RM 00203.410B.3.) valid for one year from the date of endorsement by the admission stamp. For example, if the admission stamp shows a date of entry into the U.S. as January 4, 2004, the expiration of the temporary I-551 status will be January 3, 2005. DO NOT use the expiration date on the MRIV itself to determine when the temporary I-551 status expires. The expiration date on the MRIV only shows how long the MRIV is valid not how long the alien's temporary I-551 status is valid.

    When an applicant for an SSN submits the above-described documentation and DHS verifies the applicant’s immigration status, process the SS-5 to issue an SSN card without any legend (code the “PRA” block “Y”). (See RM202.230B.5.)

    NOTE: The “old-style” MRIV immigrant visa (which DOS started issuing on February 23, 2004) and the old-style immigrant visa (that is not placed in the foreign passport) are still valid. These documents will not contain the Temporary I-551 stamp language in them. In these cases, the DHS CBP officer will still place the Temporary I-551/ADIT stamp in the foreign passport. DHS CBP officers may still need to use the Temporary I-551 stamp into early 2005, at which time all non-expired valid immigrant visas should be the MRIVs. (See ACM Alert No. 2004A-35, dated February 20, 2004, for an exhibit of the old-style MRIV under the document name “Immigrant Visa.”)

    Also, DHS, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) will continue to issue the Temporary I-551/ADIT stamp when processing certain immigrant benefits, i.e., as temporary evidence of LAPR status, until a replacement I-551 is issued, and in adjustment of status situations.

    3. Temporary I-551 Stamp
    When the alien does not have a machine readable immigrant visa (see RM 00203.410B.2.), DHS places a temporary I-551 stamp in the foreign passport as evidence of immigration status when the alien is admitted to the U.S. for the alien to use until the permanent I-551, Permanent Resident Card, is received. The stamp may be placed in the alien’s foreign passport or on a Form I-94, Arrival/Departure record, when the alien does not have a passport.

    When an alien previously admitted to the U.S. applies for a replacement I-551 or adjusts to LAPR status, DHS places a temporary I-551 stamp in the foreign passport.

    When the alien does not have a foreign passport, DHS places the temporary I-551 stamp, a photo of the alien, and DHS seal on Form I-94. See the ACM Alert No. 2002A-34 Photo Substituted I-94 with ADIT Stamp under the “I-94” document number, and “Temporary I-551” under the “I-551” document number.

    The temporary I-551 stamp, which is printed in red ink, reads:





    VALID UNTIL (date)


    The stamp on the I-94, given as a temporary I-551, usually includes also DHS the issuing officer’s signature and title. Also, the officer writes the "A" number on the stamp.

    See information in the ACM, under document name “I-551,” on the Temporary I-551 Stamp’s fluorescent security features.

    NOTE: DHS may not specify an expiration date. The stamp is valid until the alien receives an I-551. If the stamped document has no date entered in the “Valid Until” area, check the date of entry to the U.S. If the entry date is over a year old, verify with DHS that the person’s alien status is unchanged.

    4. I-688 EXT.
    DHS affixes an I-688 EXT. label to the back of the Form I-688 (Temporary Resident Card) as temporary evidence of permanent residence until the I-551 is received. (See RM 00203.550C. and RM 00203.550D. for a description and exhibit.)

    5. I-151
    DHS issued Form I-151 from July 1946 through 1978. (See GN00303.400F.3. for an exhibit.)

    6. AR-3, AR-3a
    DHS issued Forms AR-3 and AR-3a from 1941 through part of 1949. It is not absolute evidence of lawful permanent residence; however, employment is authorized. Treat this form as an I-551.

    Who to consider an alien lawfully admitted for permanent residence, GN 00303.420 - GN 00303.440.

    ok here
  11. jgonell

    jgonell New Member

    1st. Travel

    I got my permanent resident visa, It was requested from my son in Boston, and all the documents have his address
    Do i have to enter to US through Boston Airport or can I travel to Fort Lauderdal Florida first?
  12. Jackolantern

    Jackolantern Registered Users (C)

    You can enter at any US airport that accepts international flights. Or any land border area or sea port that is staffed with immigration officers. You can even enter at a US territory such as Puerto Rico, Guam, or the US Virgin Islands, and that will register your admission to the US as a permanent resident.

    Just be aware that if you have a connecting flight after your initial flight into the US, you have to collect your luggage and go through customs and immigration at that first airport, and then check in the luggage again and wait for your next flight.
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2011
  13. sepa

    sepa Registered Users (C)

    I have one question .. when you enter in the US and they stamp the 1 year temporary GC ... you can leave US and Return before receive the "permanent plastic GC " ??? I mean you can travel abroad and enter again with your temporary GC ???

  14. Jackolantern

    Jackolantern Registered Users (C)

    Yes, you can reenter with that temporary stamp in your passport without having the plastic GC.

Share This Page