I got my GC, now what to do with my pending Canadian PR application?

EricS

I recently got my GC. Please see the details in the signature.

In 2001, the market was really bad and chances of getting a GC seemed remote. So I applied for Canadian Immigration (PR) as a skilled worker. I was hoping to get Canadian PR and end the uncertanity with US GC, but Canadian application also got delayed so many times. Now after few days of getting my US GC, I got a letter from Canadian counslate also that my application is complete and I should send the Passports for Visa stamping. I have 30 days to do so.

I already understand that I cannot have both US GC and Canadian PR at the same time. Some people do keep both but I understand that there is a risk of getting either one revoked.

As I got US GC, I want to keep it. I also have so many friends in Canada and I would like to visit them periodically. Now in this situation, what is the best thing to do:
> Withdraw my Canadian PR application? if so what is the best way to do so and the reason for that?
> Keep Canadian PR pending for some time? I do not know why I will do so but may be some one has a valid reason.

I will like to have your suggestions and comments on this situation and also what to do.

If anyone has been in a similar situation, I will appriciate if you can share your experience.

Thanks in advance.

EricS said:
I recently got my GC. Please see the details in the signature.

In 2001, the market was really bad and chances of getting a GC seemed remote. So I applied for Canadian Immigration (PR) as a skilled worker. I was hoping to get Canadian PR and end the uncertanity with US GC, but Canadian application also got delayed so many times. Now after few days of getting my US GC, I got a letter from Canadian counslate also that my application is complete and I should send the Passports for Visa stamping. I have 30 days to do so.

I already understand that I cannot have both US GC and Canadian PR at the same time. Some people do keep both but I understand that there is a risk of getting either one revoked.

As I got US GC, I want to keep it. I also have so many friends in Canada and I would like to visit them periodically.
-------------- you CAN visit them with US GC

Now in this situation, what is the best thing to do:
> Withdraw my Canadian PR application? if so what is the best way to do so and the reason for that?
------------------- write/fax them that you are no more intrested in Canada PR as it took 4 year to get responce and your situation has changed Please return my ROLF
> Keep Canadian PR pending for some time?
----------- why??
I do not know why I will do so but may be some one has a valid reason.

I will like to have your suggestions and comments on this situation and also what to do.
---------- dont send passport for PR stamp to them ask your ROLF back, getting Canada PR AFTER US GC may create problems with your intent to remain PR of US
If anyone has been in a similar situation, I will appriciate if you can share your experience.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Ginnu,

Thanks for you reply, really helpful.

Sorry, one of my question was not clear. When I wrote:
"I also have so many friends in Canada and I would like to visit them periodically"
> My concern was that once I withdraw my Canadian PR application, will there be any problem getting Visitor Visa for Canada or entering Canada with my GC?
> From your response, it seems like I do not need a Visa to visit Canada as I have US GC. Is it true?

Thanks in advance for your help.

If anyone has withdrawn Canadaian PR application, please share your experience.

EricS said:
Hi Ginnu,

Thanks for you reply, really helpful.

Sorry, one of my question was not clear. When I wrote:
"I also have so many friends in Canada and I would like to visit them periodically"
> My concern was that once I withdraw my Canadian PR application, will there be any problem getting Visitor Visa for Canada or entering Canada with my GC?
> From your response, it seems like I do not need a Visa to visit Canada as I have US GC. Is it true?
--------------------- true, US GC holder dont need Visitor visa to visit Canada from US. if you want to visit Canada from out side of US then you may need Canada visa ( it has some confusion on CIC site and if you check Canada high commission Delhi India it says US permanent resident dont need visa for Canada they have not made it clear if US GC holder can fly directly to Canada from India)
Thanks in advance for your help.

If anyone has withdrawn Canadaian PR application, please share your experience.

It clearly states on their website

VISITOR VISA EXEMPTIONS
Many people do not require a visa to visit Canada. These include

persons lawfully admitted to the United States for permanent residence who are in possession of their alien registration card (Green card) or can provide other evidence of permanent residence.

for complete reference go to
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/visas.html

it does not matter if you enter Canada from US or from anywhere else, the policy will not change.