I am no Terrorist, any advice?

Has there been any latest development? Congrats for any articular reason and whats finally over?

Just curious to know! Please let us know.

Thank you!

From what I understand, Sakit is being metaphorically sarcastic to the fact USCIS did not bother replying his last inquiry that he placed with them, so he is jokingly making the presumption that USCIS may be tired of the usual customized standard replies, may not need to reply for the reason they are may be gearing up to approve every one.

I would like to share the following reply I have just received from the service in response to my earlier repeated inquires about the current status of my pending application for adjustment of status...

Thank you for your inquiry regarding your case. Review of cases that may be eligible for the new exemptions for certain limited material support and insignificant material support to an organization described in section 212(a)(3)(B)(vi)(III)of the INA, 8 U.S.C. 1182(a)(3)(B)(vi)(III), or to a member of such an organization, or to an individual described in section 212(a)(3)(B)((iv)(VI)(bb) of the INA, 8 U.S.C. 1182(a)(3)(B)(iv)(VI)(bb) has begun. Cases that are found to be eligible are being adjudicated. At this time, USCIS cannot give an estimate as to how long it will take for a decision to be rendered in a specific case. Each case is different and may present unique issues for resolution.
In the meantime, please rest assured that USCIS is committed to ensuring that all cases that are eligible for exemptions in accordance with the exercises of authority under INA section 212(d)(3)(B)(i), 8 U.S.C. 1182(d)(3)(B)(i), as amended, are given due consideration based on the facts and circumstances presented. We thank you for your patience.

That's somewhat a positive response!

It seems like that USCIS is looking into these two exemptions that were sent out within USCIS back in May-2015..... so we will have to wait and see the action taken based on these exemptions and hopefully newer ones to come.

Please if anyone get in touch with Anwen Hughes, Melanie and or any updates from USCIS TRIG quarterly meeting, share it with us all. We will need to know what will be action plan from USCIS to start applying / exercising these above mentioned exemptions?!!

we have no choice, but to stay positive and hopeful. so keep on sharing the information and keep on pushing all these folks.

Thank you all!

Hi All, here is what I just received from Ms, Hughes;

Dear Mr. ................,
I am terribly sorry that I've been hard to reach--I had to be out of the office a lot in the early part of this year, and since things stabilized, have been slowly getting caught up, but I'm still behind on a number of fronts including responding to you.

Briefly, the big news from our last meeting with DHS was that the implementation guidance for the two exemptions that were announced last February (the "insignificant assistance" and "limited assistance" exemptions) finally went out--this happened not long before that meeting, which was in May. There are some questions as to how some aspects of these exemptions are going to be interpreted, which may become clearer after our next meeting with DHS, which is happening this afternoon, and I hope to have a clearer sense after today how many of you these two new exemptions are likely to help.
Meanwhile, as of our last meeting the actual processing of cases on hold that were eligible for adjudication under the 2012 "limited group exemption" was also proceeding very, very slowly; this appeared to be mainly a resource problem, that is, USCIS has limited staff to work on these problems, and it seemed that a lot of their time was being dedicated to sorting out which Tier III groups were excluded from the "limited group exemption," and that this might be taking time away from the processing of those cases that were associated with groups that had already been "cleared" for purposes of the limited group exemption. We should have some updates after today's meeting as to where they are on processing.
We also have a bunch of other questions, many of which come from you (collectively), for discussion today. I'll let you know where all this stands after this afternoon.
Thank you so much as always for your patience.

Best regards,

Anwen Hughes
cleardot.gif

Hi All, here is what I just received from Ms, Hughes;

Dear Mr. ................,
I am terribly sorry that I've been hard to reach--I had to be out of the office a lot in the early part of this year, and since things stabilized, have been slowly getting caught up, but I'm still behind on a number of fronts including responding to you.

Briefly, the big news from our last meeting with DHS was that the implementation guidance for the two exemptions that were announced last February (the "insignificant assistance" and "limited assistance" exemptions) finally went out--this happened not long before that meeting, which was in May. There are some questions as to how some aspects of these exemptions are going to be interpreted, which may become clearer after our next meeting with DHS, which is happening this afternoon, and I hope to have a clearer sense after today how many of you these two new exemptions are likely to help.
Meanwhile, as of our last meeting the actual processing of cases on hold that were eligible for adjudication under the 2012 "limited group exemption" was also proceeding very, very slowly; this appeared to be mainly a resource problem, that is, USCIS has limited staff to work on these problems, and it seemed that a lot of their time was being dedicated to sorting out which Tier III groups were excluded from the "limited group exemption," and that this might be taking time away from the processing of those cases that were associated with groups that had already been "cleared" for purposes of the limited group exemption. We should have some updates after today's meeting as to where they are on processing.
We also have a bunch of other questions, many of which come from you (collectively), for discussion today. I'll let you know where all this stands after this afternoon.
Thank you so much as always for your patience.

Best regards,

Anwen Hughes
cleardot.gif

Again many thanks to JosephEsf, his contribution to this forum has been significant beneficial to all members. He consistently managed to receive email responses from Anwen; where we all failed.

By the way JosephEsf, when is the next meeting, which she has mentioned in her reply?

Thank you Deep Trigger for your kind remarks. The meeting is actually today. I will post any information as it becomes available and would like to ask everyone to do the same.

Thank you Deep Trigger for your kind remarks. The meeting is actually today. I will post any information as it becomes available and would like to ask everyone to do the same.
Hopefully something good will come out of that meeting.
Thanks for your prompt reply.

Thank you Joseph for sharing!

Interesting response from Ms. Anwen though..... especially this portion of the message"USCIS has limited staff to work on these problems, and it seemed that a lot of their time was being dedicated to sorting out which Tier III groups were excluded from the "limited group exemption," and that this might be taking time away from the processing of those cases that were associated with groups that had already been "cleared" for purposes of the limited group exemption. We should have some updates after today's meeting as to where they are on processing."....

I have yet to hear from anyone who has gotten clearance via Limited General exemption (mind you it is designed to clear cases individually and not as a TierIII group at large)? nonetheless there are two more exemptions that just came out in May 2015 that she is also mentioning, so it will be interesting to see what she will get out from the meeting today about this. just trying to stay positing / optimistic.

Hello again, this is what I wrote to Ms. Hughes and What she wrote back;

Ms. Hughes

Thank you for your kind e-mails. I was also wondering if it is too early to inquire about today's DHS meeting.

Regards,

profile_mask2.png

Anwen Hughes
5:11 PM (5 hours ago)
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

Nothing much came out of it but that fact has stimulated us to plan a bunch of things to try to get things moving forward. I need to get back to New York but will send you a coherent update at some point tomorrow.

Hello again, this is what I wrote to Ms. Hughes and What she wrote back;

Ms. Hughes

Thank you for your kind e-mails. I was also wondering if it is too early to inquire about today's DHS meeting.

Regards,

profile_mask2.png

Anwen Hughes
5:11 PM (5 hours ago)
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

Nothing much came out of it but that fact has stimulated us to plan a bunch of things to try to get things moving forward. I need to get back to New York but will send you a coherent update at some point tomorrow.

Thanks JosephEsf for the important update.
It looks to me that the Game is far from being over, but the future will tell. Let us ALL hang in there and keep in touch.

Good Morning,
I wanted to share a sad story of a gentleman whose application for adjustment of status to permanent residency was on hold because of the material support provisions of INA for nine years. He was diagnosed with lung cancer almost a year ago and sadly this weekend he passed away. I met him a month ago and at that time he was hoping that the new exemptions may apply to his case. His only desire was to be able to travel and visit his sick mother. I will attend his funeral this afternoon and it is going to be very difficult knowing that I am in the same boat as he once was.
May his soul rest in peace.

Thank you for your response and update Joseph!

Also, Sakit thank you for sharing this painful story with us! May his soul rest in peace.

Maybe Joseph, we can send this painful (real) story to Anwen Hughes and Melanie Nezer and let them know what is really going on with ordinary people like us who have been for years and years??...... and now people are already dying (yes maybe because of natural / medical causes but still the main stress is the waiting period of this adjudication) and still not been able to meet and see other family members...... which is so called reunification of families under some USCIS immigration act.

Also, as I stated before I have NOT seen or heard-off any individual, whose application is being placed on HOLD for material support to TierIII organization with any group, has been processed under the three broader exemptions.

I have not heard of any implementation formula or even willingness from USCIS (thusfar) to process these applications on hold based on these three exemptions (Limited General Exemption- 2102, Certain General Support exemption - 2015 , and Insignificant Support Exemption-2015).....

I have been going through online cases of various folks throughout US from all districts (within US) who may have had filed for Writ of Mandamus to ask the USCIS to start processing their cases because they have been placed on hold for Material support for so long, and all I am finding is that courts are agreeing with the lame excuse of National Security reasons from USCIS, that the exercise of these exemptions are a cumbersome process and required a lot of time to go through each and every scenario and therefore in the abeyance, they are not denying the application/s but rather they are placing them on hold.

I am also reading about lame excuses from immigration that the overall time waiting time, that these applicants are waiting is not unreasonable because USCIS / DHS are calculating the waiting time for anyone's pending application from the time their applications were reopened and or reconsidered for a possible material support to tier iii organization possible exemptions. In some cases, the waiting time is considered as late as in 2008 or 2009 (which is only about 7 or so years ago)......

My advice to all: if we can find a positive outcome case which was pending on tier iii and was processed / approved based on any of the above stated exemptions, will be a very strong and a solid starting point got us all. we can all use that case a foundation and perhaps can compare our cases based on the precedence established based on that very first case??? Anyone care to do a thorough research on this matter?? I have been trying and trying to find such a case, but am unable to find any, especially with the required court documents available.///

If this makes sense, then maybe we can have a good starting point then!?!

Thanks All!

Last edited:
Good Morning,
I wanted to share a sad story of a gentleman whose application for adjustment of status to permanent residency was on hold because of the material support provisions of INA for nine years. He was diagnosed with lung cancer almost a year ago and sadly this weekend he passed away. I met him a month ago and at that time he was hoping that the new exemptions may apply to his case. His only desire was to be able to travel and visit his sick mother. I will attend his funeral this afternoon and it is going to be very difficult knowing that I am in the same boat as he once was.
May his soul rest in peace.

Heart-touching story...Our thoughts and prayers are with him. Sad!

It is a shame! If you would kindly share the details about this gentleman, including full name, his case number, or any information for that matter, we pass on the information to Ms. Hughes or Nezer. Maybe they could use it to "get things moving forward" as Ms. Hughes mentioned in her last email.

Thank you for your response and update Joseph!

Also, Sakit thank you for sharing this painful story with us- my condolences to the deceased and May his soul rest in peace!

Maybe Joseph, we can send this painful (real) story to Anwen Hughes and Melanie Nezer and let them know what is really going on with ordinary people like us who have been for years and years??...... and now people are already dying (yes maybe because of natural / medical causes but still the main stress factor in overall life, is the waiting period of this application’s adjudication) and still not been able to meet or reunite with their loved ones and other family members...... which is so called “reunification of families” under some USCIS immigration act (policies and procedures especially for Refugees and Asylees)

Also, as I stated before I HAVENOT seen or heard of any individual, whose application is being placed on hold for material support to TierIII organization with any TIERIII group association, and then has been processed under the THREE broader exemptions.

I have not heard of any implementation formula or even willingness from USCIS (thus far) to process these applications on hold based on these three exemptions (Limited General Exemption- September 2102 - “It is not a Group Based Exemption as suggested by Ms. Anwen’s e-mail”,) Certain General Support exemption – May 2015 , and Insignificant Support Exemption-May 2015).....

I have been going through online cases of various folks, throughout US from all districts (within US), who may have had filed for Writ of Mandamus (Law suit) to ask the USCIS to start processing their cases because they have been placed on hold for Material support for so long based on these three stated exemptions above, and all I am finding is that courts are agreeing with the lame excuse of National Security reasons from USCIS, that the exercise of these exemptions are a cumbersome process and required a lot of time to go through for USCIS to review each and every scenario and therefore in the abeyance, they are not denying the application/s but rather they are placing them on hold.

I am also reading about lame excuses from immigration that the overall waiting time / processing time, that these applicants are waiting is not unreasonable because USCIS / DHS are calculating the waiting time for anyone's pending application from the time their applications were reopened and or reconsidered for a possible material support exemption based on affiliation/ material support to a tier III organization. In some cases, the waiting time / processing time is considered as late as in 2008 or 2009 (which is only about 7 or so years ago) and in the eyes of the court they don’t really considered it, as an unreasonable delay from USCIS / DHS behalf.

My advice to all: if we can find a positive outcome case (case that was adjudiacted) which was pending on TierIII material support hold and was then processed / approved based on any of the above stated three exemptions, then it will be a very strong and a solid starting point (foundation) for us all. We can all use that particular case or cases as a foundation and perhaps can compare our cases based on the precedence established based on those cases?

Anyone care to do a thorough research on this matter?? I have been trying and trying to find such a case, but am unable to find any, especially with the required court documents available.

If this makes sense, then maybe we can have a good starting point then!?!I have communicated with various attorneys in the recent past and have gotten similar kind of response that, to their knowledge no cases have been processed thus far based on any of the general, limited, insignificant and certain material support exemptions, apart from the already released cases that their groups were exempted individually and stated on the USCIS’s web site. So this is what I can think of as an alternative solution and also not only looking into legal actions as alternative, we can push and pursue either (Anwen Hughes or Melanie Nezer’s) organization to push USCIS to start processing out cases.

Any thoughts from anyone? Anyone wants to do the research online and share? Any other information floating around that needs to be shared in regards to these cases? Anyone??

Thank you all!

Thanks All!

Folks an example of case as I have refereed to be as follows and you guys can read the lame excuse USCIS / DHS has given to the US District court those this petitioner's case and the case was again placed on hold.... TIERIII material Support case >>>

We need to find cases like the following - but the ones that were approved / processed based on the Three General Exemptions.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

United States Court of Appeals,Eighth Circuit.

Jamshid IRSHAD, Plaintiff–Appellant, v. Jeh JOHNSON, Secretary of the Department of Homeland Security; Rendell Jones, Acting Deputy Director of the United States Citizenship & Immigration Services; F. Gerard Heinauer, Director of the Nebraska Service Center; Eric H. Holder, Jr., Attorney General of the United States; James B. Comey, Director of the Federal Bureau of Investigation, Defendants–Appellees.

No. 12–3870.

Decided: June 11, 2014

Before WOLLMAN, COLLOTON, and GRUENDER, Circuit Judges. Ryan T. Cosgrove, argued, Dallas, TX (David Alan Yudelson and Ryan J. Sevcik, Omaha, NE, on the brief), for Appellant. Aaron S. Goldsmith, USDOJ–OIL, argued Washington, DC (Bradley B. Banias, USDOJ–OIL and Laurie M. Barrett, AUSA, Omaha, NE, on the brief), for Appellee.

Jamshid Irshad, a native of Afghanistan, filed suit seeking to compel the Attorney General of the United States, the Secretary of Homeland Security, the Director of the Federal Bureau of Investigation, the Acting Deputy Director of the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (“The USCIS”), and the Director of the Nebraska Service Center for the USCIS (collectively “the officials”) to decide immediately his pending application for adjustment of status. The district court2 granted summary judgment in favor of the officials. Irshad appeals, and we affirm.

I.

Irshad was born in Afghanistan in 1972. Following the former Soviet Union's invasion of Afghanistan in 1979, Irshad aided the National Islamic Front of Afghanistan, one of many groups—collectively known as the Mujahidin—that opposed Soviet-backed forces. Irshad supported the group by carrying supplies and giving tours to Western journalists in Afghanistan. In 1988, Irshad fled to the United States. He was granted asylum in 1998.

On March 22, 1999, Irshad filed an I–485 application with the USCIS to adjust his status from asylee to lawful permanent resident. On February 15, 2008, the USCIS denied Irshad's application for adjustment of status because his transportation of supplies for the Mujahidin constituted material support of an undesignated terrorist organization. See 8 U.S.C. § 1182(a)(3)(B).

In 2007, however, Congress significantly broadened the authority of the Secretary of Homeland Security to exempt aliens from the terrorism-related inadmissibility provisions of 8 U.S.C. § 1182(a)(3)(B). Consolidated Appropriations Act, 2008, Pub.L. No. 110–161, div. J., § 691(a), 121 Stat. 1844, 2364–65 (2007); 8 U.S.C. § 1182(d)(3)(B)(i). Following that legislation, in March 2008, the USCIS issued a policy memorandum concerning all adjustment-of-status applications that were denied on terrorism-related inadmissibility grounds after December 26, 2007. Memorandum from Jonathan Scharfen, Deputy Dir., U.S. Citizenship & Immigration Servs., Withholding Adjudication and Review of Prior Denials of Certain Categories of Cases Involving Association with, or Provision of Material Support to, Certain Terrorist Organizations or Other Groups (Mar. 26, 2008). The memorandum provided that all of these applications would be reopened and placed on adjudicatory hold if the applicant could benefit from a subsequent exercise of discretion that would exempt the applicant from a terrorism-related inadmissibility provision. Id.

Pursuant to that policy memorandum, the USCIS reopened Irshad's application on April 29, 2008, and placed it on adjudicatory hold. According to the officials, Irshad's application “remains pending because Irshad may, eventually, benefit from a discretionary exemption for his inadmissibility.” The officials assert that the hold inures to Irshad's benefit, because “f the USCIS were to end its adjudicatory hold on Irshad's ․ [a]pplication and adjudicate, the USCIS would likely deny it.”

On August 10, 2012, the Secretary of Homeland Security gave the USCIS broad authority to grant adjustment-of-status applications like Irshad's without consulting other agencies or officials beyond the USCIS. See Exercise of Authority Under Section 212(d)(3)(B)(i) of the Immigration and Nationality Act, 77 Fed.Reg. 49,821, 49,821–22 (Aug. 17, 2012). The officials continue to maintain, however, that if ordered to adjudicate Irshad's application today, the USCIS would likely deny it, because “expediting adjudication would interfere with [the officials'] discretion to develop guidelines for the new exemption and to apply these guidelines to Irshad's case.”

Irshad filed suit against the officials on May 16, 2012. Invoking the mandamus statute, 28 U.S.C. § 1361, the Administrative Procedure Act (“APA”), 5 U.S.C. §§ 555(b), 706(1), and the Declaratory Judgment Act, 28 U.S.C. § 2201, Irshad asked the court to compel the officials “to issue a final ruling on his I–485[a]pplication.” Irshad alleged that the officials were “unlawfully withholding and unreasonably delaying action on” his application, had “failed to carry out the adjudicative functions delegated to them by law,” and had “deprive[d][him] of his right to a timely adjudication of his duly filed I–485 application.”

The officials moved to dismiss Irshad's complaint for lack of subject matter jurisdiction and for failure to state a claim. Alternatively, they moved for summary judgment, arguing that the USCIS's delay in adjudicating Irshad's adjustment-of-status application was reasonable. They submitted a declaration of Francis J. Doyle, the Acting Assistant Center Director of the Nebraska Service Center for the USCIS, attesting to the following:

Irshad admitted in his asylum application that he had provided support to the National Islamic Front of Afghanistan;

Prior to the 2007 legislation and the March 2008 memorandum, Irshad was inadmissible because of his provision of support to an undesignated terrorist organization;

• Irshad's application remained pending due to the 2007 legislation and the March 2008 memorandum;

Between mid–2006 and February 29, 2012, the USCIS had granted more than 14,000 exemptions in cases involving terrorism-related inadmissibility grounds;

• Throughout the adjudicatory hold, Irshad had been fingerprinted “to ensure that the case [would be] ready to be adjudicated once all other issues [we]re resolved”; and

If ordered to adjudicate Irshad's application, the USCIS would likely deny it.

In response, Irshad submitted his own declaration attesting that the adjudicatory delay “infringed on [his] peace of mind” and that he preferred to receive a ruling on his application one way or another, rather than be subjected to an indefinite hold.
The district court denied the officials' motion to dismiss. The court ruled that neither 8 U.S.C. § 1252(a)(2)(B)(ii) nor 5 U.S.C. § 701(a)(2) divested the district court of jurisdiction over a claim that the USCIS had failed to adjudicate an adjustment-of-status application within a reasonable time. The court further reasoned that 28 U.S.C. § 1331 gave the court subject matter jurisdiction over Irshad's claim under the APA. The court then granted summary judgment for the officials, ruling that the delay in resolving Irshad's application for adjustment of status was not unreasonable.

Irshad appeals. The officials do not contend on appeal that any statute precluded the district court from considering Irshad's claim, and we need not address questions of “statutory jurisdiction” sua sponte. See Steel Co. v. Citizens for a Better Env't, 523 U.S. 83, 97 n. 2 (1998); Lukowski v. INS, 279 F.3d 644, 647 & n. 1 (8th Cir.2002); Royal Siam Corp. v. Chertoff, 484 F.3d 139, 142–44 (1st Cir.2007); Kramer v. Gates, 481 F.3d 788, 790–91 (D.C.Cir.2007).

II.

Irshad argues that the officials have unreasonably delayed adjudication of his application for adjustment of status. The APA requires an agency to proceed to conclude a matter presented to it “within a reasonable time,” 5 U.S.C. § 555(b), and directs a reviewing court to “compel agency action unlawfully withheld or unreasonably delayed.” Id. § 706(1). District courts are divided on the question whether, under these provisions, a court has power to entertain a claim that the government's delay in adjudicating an adjustment-of-status application is unreasonable. Compare, e.g., Al–Rifahe v. Mayorkas, 776 F.Supp.2d 927, 932–34 (D.Minn.2011), Sharadanant v. USCIS, 543 F.Supp.2d 1071, 1074–75 (D.N.D.2008), and Al Kurdy v. USCIS, No. 8:07CV225, 2008 WL 151277, at *4 (D.Neb. Jan. 10, 2008), with, e.g ., Tan v. Chertoff, No. 4:07CV236, 2007 WL 1880742, at *4 (E.D. Mo. June 29, 2007), and Ting Hao Yang v. Gonzalez, No. 4:06CV3290, 2007 WL 1847302, at *1–2 (D. Neb. June 25, 2007).

We need not decide whether an extreme delay by the government in adjudicating an adjustment-of-status application could amount to a “failure to act,” 5 U.S.C. § 551(13), that would empower the district court under the APA to compel agency action “unlawfully withheld.” Id. § 706(1). See Norton v. S. Utah Wilderness Alliance, 542 U.S. 55, 62–64 (2004). Assuming for the sake of analysis that federal courts have authority to order the government to adjudicate adjustment-of-status applications within a certain period of time, Irshad has not shown that the delay in his case was unreasonable.

The period of relevant delay here runs from April 2008, when Irshad's application was reopened, through the district court's consideration of his action in 2012. Irshad's application is on adjudicatory hold because of the changes in law and policy in 2007 and 2008 that first gave the Secretary authority to grant Irshad the exemption from inadmissibility provisions that he desires. The time between Irshad's filing of his application for adjustment of status in 1999 and the creation of this new exemption authority in 2007–08 was not attributable to the officials. Irshad was ineligible for adjustment of status before these changes in law and policy, and the agency denied his application in February 2008 because of his previous material support for a terrorist organization. The delay attributable to the officials, therefore, is less than five years.

To evaluate the reasonableness of delay, the parties embrace the analysis of the D.C. Circuit in Telecommunications Research & Action Center v. FCC, 750 F.2d 70, 80 (D.C.Cir.1984). Applying that approach, the officials' delay in adjudicating Irshad's adjustment-of-status application is not unreasonable. Congress has not dictated any timetable for the Executive to make sensitive terrorism-related decisions in this area. There is no indication that the deliberative process of the government officials in this case is a sham. We agree with the district court that “[t]he [officials'] decision regarding the application must be based upon a high-level analysis of complex, sensitive factors that implicate national security, foreign policy, and humanitarian interests, and the [officials have been] given complete discretion to grant or deny the application as they see fit.” The USCIS is actively considering exemptions, and several group-based exemptions that benefit thousands of applicants have been approved. See, e.g., Exercise of Authority Under the Immigration and Nationality Act, 77 Fed.Reg. 51,545, 51,545 (Aug. 24, 2012); Exercise of Authority Under Section 212(d)(3)(B)(i) of the Immigration and Nationality Act, 77 Fed.Reg. 41,795, 41,795–96 (July 16, 2012); Exercise of Authority Under the Immigration and Nationality Act, 76 Fed.Reg. 70,463, 70,463–64 (Nov. 14, 2011); Exercise of Authority Under Section 212(d)(3)(B)(i) of the Immigration and Nationality Act, 76 Fed.Reg. 14,418, 14,418–19 (Mar. 16, 2011); Exercise of Authority Under Section 212(d)(3)(B)(i) of the Immigration and Nationality Act, 76 Fed.Reg. 2130, 2130 (Jan. 12, 2011). The August 2012 policy establishes a procedure for the USCIS to grant or deny adjustment-of-status applications like Irshad's without high-level consultations, but the government still has a strong interest in completing the exemption process in terrorism-related cases with great care. A mistaken exemption could have serious negative repercussions.

Without the exemption process allowed by the 2007 legislation and the 2008 policy memorandum, Irshad would have been denied adjustment of status based on his provision of material support to a terrorist organization. Changes in law and policy have created an opportunity for the Executive Branch, in its discretion, to grant Irshad relief that otherwise would be unavailable to him. Irshad's complaint that the government is taking too long to decide about the availability of an exemption is not well taken under the circumstances.

The judgment of the district court is affirmed.

FOOTNOTES

2. The Honorable Warren K. Urbom, United States District Judge for the District of Nebraska, now retired.

- See more at:http://caselaw.findlaw.com/us-8th-circuit/1669492.html#sthash.dAXshyw8.dpuf
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

END OF THE CASE!

Last edited:
Can anyone or all of you do the research and try to find out cases like the above stated case and see what was filed (writ of mandamus) and see the final outcome from the USCIS courts. How they have agreed with the lame excuses from Immigration (USCIS / DHS)... in the process of doing research, you may find any case which might have been approved based on any (Non TIERIII Group specific exemptions out there), and they might have gotten there green-card via courts... so those kinds of cases are the ones that will definitely help our cause / case to be adjudicated?!

Does this makes sense?

Please keep us all posted and Thank you all!

Guys example for another case I found online after digging through many of the online resources is as follows: In this particular case one of the most important things were discussed is that the petitioners involvement in so called TierIII group, "it is not only considered as a Material Support to a TierIII organization, but it is also "at times, Termed as Terrorist activity itself""...... by USCIS / DHS argument to the complaint from the petitioner to the us District court. so this is very important point to notice the word gimmick played by USCIS / DHS in the name of National Security..... A very blurry line between material support and act of terrorism itself....Also something interesting to notice that again USCIS/ DHS is arguing that the delay on adjudication on this case is not unreasonable either because they are considering the delay time from the time this petitioner's case was reopened....

Please read through the case is as follows:
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Khan v. Holder United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit November 7, 2013, Argued; September 4, 2014, Decided Nos. 13-2106 & 13-3385 Reporter 2014 ; 766 F.3d 689 SAMI ULLAH KHAN, Petitioner, v. ERIC H. HOLDER, JR., Attorney General of the United States, Respondent. Prior History: [*1] Petitions for Review of Decisions of the Board of Immigration Appeals. No. A098-157-095.

Case Summary Overview HOLDINGS: [1]-Petitioner alien, a citizen of Pakistan, was properly found ineligible for admission under the terrorism barof 8 U.S.C.S. § 1182(a)(3)(B)(i)(I) for having engaged in terrorist activity by supporting both factions of a particular political movement in Pakistan because the record demonstrated that for multiple years, the alien provided material support to a terrorist organization by distributing flyers, posting signs, looking after the local office, and recruiting attendance at the organization’s meetings; [2]-Although the alien presented an arguably valid contention that the BIA erred by assuming that his knowledge of kidnapping and violence by the organization was per se sufficient to preclude invocation of the knowledge exception to the terrorism bar, the court could not review this claim because the alien failed to exhaust the argument before the BIA. Outcome Petition for review denied.

> Grounds for Deportation & Removal > National Security Risk > Terrorist Activities HN1 A portion of the Immigration and Nationality Act provides that any alien who has ″engaged in a terrorist activity″ is ineligible for admission into the United States. 8 U.S.C.S. § 1182(a)(3)(B)(i)(I). Terrorist activity is defined expansively to include committing an act that the actor knows, or reasonably should know, affords material support″ to a terrorist organization. 8 U.S.C.S. § 1182(a)(3)(B)(iv)(VI). The knowledge requirement only applies to the actor’s awareness that he is providing material support. The knowledge required with respect to a group’s status as a terrorist organization depends on how it’s categorized. Immigration Law > Inadmissibility > Grounds for Inadmissibility > National Security Risk Immigration Law > Deportation & Removal > Noncitizen Terrorist Removal Immigration Law > ... > Grounds for Deportation & Removal > National Security Risk > Terrorist Activities HN2 Terrorist organizations are divided into three tiers: Tier 1 and 2 organizations are determined by the Secretary of State and published in the Federal Register, while Tier 3 organizations are any others that engage in terrorist activities. 8 U.S.C.S. § 1182(a)(3)(B)(vi). If an alien gave material support to a Tier 1 or Tier 2 organization, he is barred from entry regardless of whether he knew it was a terrorist organization. However, if a group is in Tier 3, the alien has an opportunity to demonstrate by clear and convincing evidence that he did not know, and should not reasonably have known, that the organization was a terrorist organization. 8 U.S.C.S. § 1182(a)(3)(B)(iv)(VI)(dd). This is known as the ″knowledge exception″ to the material support bar. Immigration Law > Inadmissibility > Grounds for Inadmissibility > National Security Risk Immigration Law > Deportation & Removal > Noncitizen Terrorist Removal Immigration Law > ... > Grounds for Deportation & Removal > National Security Risk > Terrorist Activities HN3 Tier 1 terrorist organizations are determined by the Secretary of State in accordance with 8 U.S.C.S. § 1189. See 8 U.S.C.S. § 1182(a)(3)(B)(vi)(I). Tier 2 organizations are determined by the Secretary of State in consultation with or upon the request of the Attorney General or the Secretary of Homeland Security . 8 U.S.C.S. § 1182(a)(3)(B)(vi)(II). There is no formal list of Tier 3 terrorist organizations. Immigration courts can decide on a case-by-case basis whether a group fits the definition. Immigration Law > Judicial Proceedings > Jurisdiction Immigration Law > Deportation & Removal > Judicial Review > Petitions for Review HN4 Appellate courts have jurisdiction to review final orders of removal under 8 U.S.C.S. § 1252(a). Immigration Law > Judicial Proceedings > Judicial Review > Scope of Review HN5 Where the Board of Immigration Appeals has adopted a decision of an immigration judge and added its own reasoning, appellate courts review both decisions. Immigration Law > ... > Judicial Review > Standards of Review > Substantial Evidence HN6 Appellate court review of factual findings is governed by the deferential substantial-evidence standard, under which the Board of Immigration Appeals’ decision must be upheld if supported by reasonable, substantial, and probative evidence on the record considered as a whole. Appellate courts will overturn only if the record compels a contrary result. Immigration Law > ... > Judicial Review > Standards of Review > De Novo Standard of Review HN7 Legal issues are reviewed de novo, with deference to the agency if the issue involves an ambiguous section of the immigration statutes or an interpretation of agency regulations. Immigration Law > ... > Judicial Review > Standards of Review > Abuse of Discretion Immigration Law > Deportation & Removal > Judicial Review > Petitions for Review Immigration Law > Deportation & Removal > Administrative Appeals > General Overview HN8 Appellate courts have jurisdiction to review the Board of Immigration Appeals’ (BIA’s) denial of an alien’s motion to reconsider, but the standard of review is deferential. Motions to reconsider ask the BIA to reexamine its earlier decision in light of additional legal arguments, a change of law, or an argument that was overlooked, often rehashing arguments that should have been presented the first time around. Yet motions to reconsider are not replays of the main event. Appellate courts review only for abuse of discretion and will uphold the BIA’s decision unless it was made without a rational explanation, inexplicably departed from established policies, or rested on an impermissible basis such as invidious discrimination against a particular race or group. Immigration Law > Deportation & Removal > Administrative Appeals > US Board of Immigration Appeals Immigration Law > Judicial Proceedings > Judicial Review > Exhaustion of Remedies HN9 An alien must exhaust all administrative remedies available to the alien as of right, and this includes the obligation first to present to the Board of Immigration Appeals any arguments that lie within its power to address. The exhaustion requirement is not a jurisdictional rule, but it still limits the arguments available to an alien. The exhaustion requirement exists to provide the Board an opportunity to apply its specialized knowledge and experience to the matter, which provides us with reasoning to review. Immigration Law > ... > Grounds for Deportation & Removal > National Security Risk > Terrorist Activities Immigration Law > Inadmissibility > Grounds for Inadmissibility > National Security Risk Immigration Law > Deportation & Removal > Noncitizen Terrorist Removal HN10 The statute says that ″material support″ includes a safe house, transportation, communications, funds, transfer of funds or other material financial benefit, false documentation or identification, weapons, including chemical, biological, or radiological weapons, explosives, or training. 8 U.S.C.S. § 1182(a)(3)(B)(iv)(VI). the list is not exhaustive. Immigration Law > Deportation & Removal > Noncitizen Terrorist Removal Immigration Law > ... > Grounds for Deportation & Removal > National Security Risk > Terrorist Activities Immigration Law > Inadmissibility > Grounds for Inadmissibility > National Security Risk HN11 Recruiting by itself meets the statutory definition of ″engaging in terrorist activity,″ 8 U.S.C.S. § 1182(a)(3)(B)(iv)(V)(cc), so surely years of recruiting also counts as material support. Courts have found less significant support to be sufficiently material. Immigration Law > Asylum, Refugees & Related Relief > Convention Against Torture HN12 So-called ″Convention Against Torture deferral″ requires evidence that the alien will be tortured by the government or with its acquiescence. 8 C.F.R. §§ 1208.16(c)(3), 1208.17(a), 1208.18(a)(1). Immigration Law > ... > Grounds for Deportation & Removal > National Security Risk > Terrorist Activities Immigration Law > Deportation & Removal > Noncitizen Terrorist Removal Immigration Law > Inadmissibility > Grounds for Inadmissibility > National Security Risk HN13 An entire organization does not automatically become a terrorist organization just because some members of the group commit terrorist acts.

Case Continued:

++++++++++++++++++

The question is one of authorization. But if an organization does not become a terrorist organization until it authorizes terrorist acts, then a person may not know whether he is supporting a terrorist organization until he knows which acts are authorized. Even if someone is aware of violent acts by some members of his group, that does not necessarily mean that he knew or should have known that the acts were backed by the leaders. This is especially so in diffuse political parties in poor countries. And even if an organization actually does sanction terrorist acts, that does not automatically mean that all of its members will be aware that authorization has been given. A leader in an otherwise peaceable group might secretly authorize some branch to commit atrocities but leave the majority of its members oblivious. Counsel: For Sami Ullah Khan, Petitioner (13-2106, 13-3385): Timothy A. Gambacorta, Attorney, Gambacorta Law Office, Skokie, IL. For ERIC H. HOLDER, JR., Attorney General of the United States, Respondent (13-2106, 13-3385): OIL, Attorney, Aaron R. Petty, Attorney, Paul F. Stone, Attorney, Department of Justice, Civil Division, Immigration Litigation, Washington, DC. Judges: Before BAUER, MANION, and SYKES, Circuit Judges. Opinion by: SYKES Opinion SYKES, Circuit Judge. Sami Ullah Khan seeks review of a decision of the Board of Immigration Appeals (″BIA″) applying the ″terrorism bar,″ 8 U.S.C. § 1182(a)(3)(B)(i)(I), a broad barrier to admissibility into the United States. Underneath the surface is an important legal question about the proper interpretation of an exception to the bar, but we can’t reach it because it wasn’t properly preserved for review. Khan is a Mohajir, which means that his parents were immigrants into Pakistan when it was partitioned from the British Indian Empire in 1947. Some Mohajirs formed a political party—the Mohajir Qaumi Movement—in response to perceived repression by nonimmigrant locals. Khan joined in 1992 when he was 14 or 15 years old. [*2] He distributed flyers, attended meetings, and recruited people to the cause. The group became increasingly violent, however, and many Mohajirs, including Khan, left to join a new, supposedly more peaceful group called MQM-Haqiqi. But this party too resorted to violence, so Khan eventually left it as well. Khan’s switch had made him a target, and he was repeatedly attacked by members of the first party, including beatings and death threats. On two occasions he was kidnapped and tortured. He eventually fled to the United States on a visitor visa, and when it expired, he asked for asylum and other forms of relief from removal. While his case was pending, he married a United States citizen, making him eligible for permanent residency through his marriage. The government opposed Khan’s admission to the United States, arguing that he was ineligible for having engaged in terrorist activity by supporting both factions of the Mohajir Qaumi Movement. An immigration judge (″IJ″) accepted the government’s position and the BIA affirmed. Khan petitioned for review, raising many issues, but he failed to preserve the strongest argument he had, which centers on whether he knew that the MQM factions authorized [*3] terrorism during the time he was a member. Accordingly, we deny the petition for review. I. Background HN1 A portion of the Immigration and Nationality Act provides that any alien who has ″engaged in a terrorist activity″ is ineligible for admission into the United States. 8 U.S.C. § 1182(a)(3)(B)(i)(I). Terrorist activity is defined expansively to include ″commit[ting] an act that the actor knows, or reasonably should know, affords material support″ to a terrorist organization. Id. § 1182(a)(3)(B)(iv)(VI). The knowledge requirement only applies to the actor’s awareness that he is providing material support. The knowledge required with respect to a group’s status as a terrorist organization depends on how it’s categorized. HN2 Terrorist organizations are divided into three tiers: Tier 1 and 2 organizations are determined by the Secretary of State and published in the Federal Register, while Tier 3 organizations are any others that engage in terrorist activities. Id. § 1182(a)(3)(B)(vi). 1 If an alien gave material support to a Tier 1 or Tier 2 organization, he is barred from entry regardless of whether he knew it was a terrorist organization. Compare id. § 1182(a)(3)(B)(iv)(VI)(cc) with (dd). However, if a group is in Tier 3, the alien has an opportunity to ″demonstrate by clear and convincing evidence [*4] that [he] did not know, and should not reasonably have known, that the organization was a terrorist organization.″ § 1182(a)(3)(B)(iv)(VI)(dd). This is known as the ″knowledge exception″ to the material support bar we just described. * * * The Mohajir Qaumi Movement first became a political party in the mid 1980s and quickly rose to prominence in Pakistani politics. It formed an early coalition with the dominant political [*5] party, but the relationship soured, leading to conflict and often violent confrontations. In 1992 the military initiated ″Operation Clean-up″ aimed at purging the City of Karachi of terrorists, though many Mohajirs viewed it as a disguised attempt to suppress the Mohajir Qaumi Movement. See Operation Clean-up, WIKIPEDIA, http:// en.wikipedia.org/ wiki/Operation_Clean-up (last visited Sept. 4, 2014). Around the same time, disagreements between the movement’s leaders led to the formation of an offshoot faction. The new group called itself MQM-Haqiqi, or ″the real Mohajir Qaumi Movement.″ (The original party became known as ″MQM-A.″ From this point forward, we will also use this name to refer to the party before the split. We will occasionally use ″MQM″ to refer to both factions.) The military supported the new group in an effort to undermine MQM-A. See Farhat Haq, Rise of the MQM in Pakistan: Politics of Ethnic Mobilization, 35 ASIAN SURV. 990, 1001 (1995), available at http:/ /www.jstor.org/stable/265723. During the military’s clean-up operation, which continued until 1994, MQM-H campaigned to convince party activists that MQM-A had become a terrorist organization. Id. Ever since the division of MQM into these two factions, members of both [*6] groups have frequently violently clashed. See U.S. DEP’T OF STATE, U.S. DEPARTMENT OF STATE COUNTRY REPORT ON HUMAN RIGHTS PRACTICES 1994—Pakistan (Jan. 30, 1995), available at http://www.refworld.org/docid/3ae6aa7c14.html (noting that ″people were killed almost daily in fighting among factions of the MQM″). Because of this violence, MQM-H has been identified as a Tier 3 terrorist organization. See Hussain v. Mukasey, 518 F.3d 534 (7th Cir. 2008) (upholding the BIA’s finding that MQM-H’s activities in the early 1990s qualify it as a terrorist organization). * * * Khan joined MQM-A in 1992 when he was 14 or 15 years old.2 He believed, like many in his neighborhood, that the organization existed to fight for the rights of Mohajirs and to improve their education and employment opportunities. He was also upset by the injustice of the military’s clean-up operation. Khan distributed flyers and signs, attended meetings, and recruited others in his neighborhood. Over time, however, Khan became aware of increasing violence by members of the party. In his words, MQM activists started engaging in ″anti-state, anti-social, and anti-people activities.″ Gangsters and criminals ″took control of the party and the streets.″ When he saw that ″[MQM-A] leaders were aware of what was going on but [*7] remained silent,″ he realized that ″the entire mission, cause and objective of the party was changed.″ Khan says that this ″came as a shock/surprise to Mohajirs and their supporters, including me,″ and that he viewed it as a ″betrayal[] of the Mohajir cause.″ In 1994 Khan, like many Mohajirs, left to join MQM-H, the offshoot faction. The new leaders ″assured [Mohajirs] that the party will fight for their just cause,″ so Khan joined ″with the strong belief and firm consideration that the [MQM-H] leaders are trusted leaders of Mohajirs and their cause to defend Mohajir’s struggle is legitimate.″ Khan’s work with MQM-H remained largely the same; he posted [*8] signs and flyers, recruited others, attended meetings, staffed the local office in the evenings, and organized grocery requests for those in need. But over time Khan began to realize that MQM-H was also engaging in violence. ″In the beginning they were doing good things, but later on, gradually, they started doing the same things as [MQM-A].″ So in 1997 Khan significantly scaled back his involvement. ″As soon as I came to know that these both groups are getting violent, and when they are clashing, I stopped working for them, and I stopped attending their meetings and kept myself aloof from them.″

++++++++++++++++++++++