I am no Terrorist, any advice?

i recently saw this site and seems like we can get help from this office for our pending case or the case on hold many people has benefited from this. or we all can submit the application regarding our problem to this office as a group. I hope this can be of any
help
dhs.gov/xlibrary/assets/cisomb_2010_annual_report_to_congress.pdf[/url]

OMBUDSMAN CASE ASSISTANCE
A French national filed his green card application as a
derivative beneficiary of his father’s employment-based
application. USCIS approved the father and other
family members’ applications in early 2008. The
son’s case was separated from the others, and it was
not adjudicated when other family members’ cases
were approved. More than a year and a half later,
the son contacted the Ombudsman for assistance.
The Ombudsman determined that the application
was pending at a service center, even though the
priority date was current and the case was otherwise
adjudication ready. The Ombudsman requested that
USCIS expedite processing, and the agency approved the
case shortly thereafter.

Hecate, your attorney was right! Even if you have travel document to enable you to return to the USA, that is not an ABSOLUTE guarantee and you can be detained at the port of entry. So let's not jeopardize our situation more than we need by traveling out of the country. Especially, if your family outside of the USA depend on you for support and you are the only means, I would suggest that we think twice before making that trip till things settle down.

On another note, remember the country is still at war with terrorism. It is not a popular idea to bring to sue the USCIS on that grounds. I know that most of us are victims of the overtly broad anti-terrorist of the REAL ID ACT of 2005 that was signed into law on May 11, 2005.

A lot of people did file for WOM, but the problem, as I have mentioned above, it is very difficult to satisfy the third threshold when the USCIS is saying that we have not denied the cases and we are not even referring the cases to the Executive Review, which they could have had by the way, but due the CAA of 2008, the Consolidated Appropriations Act, we are putting the cases on hold on abeyance for future exemptions. If you have noticed most of the letters, if I am not mistaken start to come somewhere in 2008. This is very good news!!! ( hold vs. denial/referral).

People did challenge the hold, but the federal courts already decided that there seems to be possible future exemptions of tier III TOs. The only thing the courts decided is that they want the USCIS to publish the list of Tier III and to report to the court how they are exempting Tier III TOs and the progress. The courts didn't specify a specif time frame for the USCIS to proceed with the exemption process. Remember the courts do not want the Tier III list to be public, so we wouldn't know who are on the list ( by definition most opposition groups are on the list, whether democratic or not ). The last three exempted groups were three Iraqi opposition groups! Amazing! The country that we went war because of WMD and and later terrorist activity!! It doesn't make sense! If they can exempt Iraqi opposition groups, it is very likely that other opposition groups should be exempted soon. Wishful thinking:)

Now our challenge seems now to force the USCIS to publish who are on the list ( may not do it for security reasons and to protect public relations with opposition groups, who are some actually current government of nations) and who are exempted. I think this is our challenge. It is not easy. That is why I decided to just enjoy the small freedom I have and wait for the political wind to change direction. That shift actually started by The CAA of 2008. I am hoping that things will turn out to be OK. In the mean time, let's not get worked out and concentrate on our daily lives: work, school and family!

The.Walker, good luck man. Update us on your situation, please.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hecate, your attorney was right! Even if you have travel document to enable you to return to the USA, that is not an ABSOLUTE guarantee and you can be detained at the port of entry. So let's not jeopardize our situation more than we need by traveling out of the country. Especially, if your family outside of the USA depend on you for support and you are the only means, I would suggest that we think twice before making that trip till things settle down.

On another note, remember the country is still at war with terrorism. It is not a popular idea to bring to sue the USCIS on that grounds. I know that most of us are victims of the overtly broad anti-terrorist of the REAL ID ACT of 2005 that was signed into law on May 11, 2005.

A lot of people did file for WOM, but the problem, as I have mentioned above, it is very difficult to satisfy the third threshold when the USCIS is saying that we have not denied the cases and we are not even referring the cases to the Executive Review, which they could have had by the way, but due the CAA of 2008, the Consolidated Appropriations Act, we are putting the cases on hold on abeyance for future exemptions. If you have noticed most of the letters, if I am not mistaken start to come somewhere in 2008. This is very good news!!! ( hold vs. denial/referral).

People did challenge the hold, but the federal courts already decided that there seems to be possible future exemptions of tier III TOs. The only thing the courts decided is that they want the USCIS to publish the list of Tier III and to report to the court how they are exempting Tier III TOs and the progress. The courts didn't specify a specif time frame for the USCIS to proceed with the exemption process. Remember the courts do not want the Tier III list to be public, so we wouldn't know who are on the list ( by definition most opposition groups are on the list, whether democratic or not ). The last three exempted groups were three Iraqi opposition groups! Amazing! The country that we went war because of WMD and and later terrorist activity!! It doesn't make sense! If they can exempt Iraqi opposition groups, it is very likely that other opposition groups should be exempted soon. Wishful thinking:)

Now our challenge seems now to force the USCIS to publish who are on the list ( may not do it for security reasons and to protect public relations with opposition groups, who are some actually current government of nations) and who are exempted. I think this is our challenge. It is not easy. That is why I decided to just enjoy the small freedom I have and wait for the political wind to change direction. That shift actually started by The CAA of 2008. I am hoping that things will turn out to be OK. In the mean time, let's not get worked out and concentrate on our daily lives: work, school and family!

The.Walker, good luck man. Update us on your situation, please.

Selam_all you make sense to me with your advice, you are right I was detained and mistreated by DHS at Toronto in 2003, and I was asked to do medical 3 times since 1999, the last one was in August 2009, and it is valid for one year so here is another $500.00 plus painful tests if I am not adjudicated by August 2010.

so with all the thoughtful thoughts and advises from the experts here who honestly seem more informative than the lawyers i 've met in real life,can we conclude that we're helpless, WOM is not good, wait wait wait and wait is our only destiny and if we have families to reunite then are screwed?

oh ya btw, which one holds more weight let's see: aliens are going to come in 2012 and take us to their land or holds will be removed by dec?? hmmmm let's write a thesis paper on that lol... i'm sorry..

Nobody's an expert here Locker9.

Based on my personal experiences, the only people who've had any success on cases pertaining to 212 bullshit are the ones who've filed for WOM. People have wasted money on lawyers ( some of who might've turned out to be absolute clueless idiots ) but if there are only two ways to go. File for WOM or wait for god knows how many years.

Let's be Specific and Clear!

The.Walker, I would like you to give us the conditions that you are stating that some people were able to adjudicate their cases using WOM based on the 212(a)(3)(B) inadmissibility. We need you to submit to us the court proceeding and ruling, as it is a public record. You can hide the names of the individual(s), if the person(s) doesn't/don't want to make his/her/their identity(-ies) public. I have seen a lot of cases when the WOM worked on I-485 adjustment cases but only when the adjustment is based on marriage to a US citizen , employment based adjustments, or other type of adjustment cases; but, I haven't encountered one with the hold based on 212(a)(3)(B) nonsense. So. please give us a real scenario where WOM worked with the hold cases! In that case, people can use that precedent to argue for their WOM. That will help a great deal. But, without that precedent it will be a waste of time and money. That is my personal opinion. Everyone is free to file for WOM if she/he wants to.

On the other hand guys, for those who want to travel outside of the United States with a travel document here is an excerpt to think about:

The INA requires the inspection of all aliens who seek entry into the United States; possession of
a visa or another form of travel document does not guarantee admission into the United States.
As a result, all persons seeking admission to the United States must demonstrate to a CBP(Customs and Border Protection) inspector that they are a foreign national with a valid visa and/or passport or that they are a U.S. citizen.

Primary inspection at the port of entry consists of a brief interview with a CBP officer, a cursory
check of the traveler’s documents and a query of the Interagency Border Inspection System
(IBIS).69 If the inspector is suspicious that the traveler may be inadmissible under the INA or in
violation of other U.S. laws, the traveler is referred to a secondary inspection. During secondary
inspections, travelers are questioned extensively and travel documents are further examined.
Several immigration databases are queried as well, including lookout databases.

Pursuant to INA § 235(c), in cases where the arriving alien is suspected of being inadmissible on
security or related grounds, including terror-related activity, the alien may be summarily excluded
by the regional director with no further administrative right to appeal. The Attorney General shall
review such orders of removal. If the Attorney General concludes on the basis of confidential
information that the alien is inadmissible on security or related grounds under § 212(a)(3) of the
INA, and determines after consulting with appropriate U.S. security agencies that disclosure of
such information would be prejudicial to the public interest, safety, or security, the regional
director of the CBP is authorized to deny any further inquiry as to the alien’s status and either
order the alien removed or order disposal of the case as the director deems appropriate.

just copying and pasting the stuff posted earlier. Posted by Asylee_99, this is on page 9 of this thread

Hi guys,
sorry for copying the whole case
the good news this is first time that mandamus case be won by the plaintiff. this case in denver too.
i checked with my lawyer, do you know how much the uscis has to pay for the legal fees if they lost the mandamus? 30,000$
sp that why they will be forced to resolve all these pending cases....

1 [#24] is an example of the convention I use to identify the docket number assigned to a specific
paper by the court’s case management and electronic case filing system (CM/ECF). I use this convention
throughout this Order.
2 Plaintiff seeks relief under both the APA and the Mandamus Act, 28 U.S.C. §1361, in his
amended complaint and discusses both interchangeably in his motion for summary judgment.
Technically, the availability of relief under the APA precludes plaintiff from seeking a writ of mandamus,
which is only available when no other remedy exists. Mt. Emmons Mining Co. v. Babbitt, 117 F.3d
IN THE UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT
FOR THE DISTRICT OF COLORADO
Judge Robert E. Blackburn
Civil Action No. 08-cv-00671-REB
SAMI AL KARIM,
Plaintiff,
vs.
ERIC HOLDER, Attorney General of the United States,
JANET NAPOLITANO, Secretary for the Department of Homeland Security,
EMILIO T. GONZALEZ, Director for Citizenship and Immigration Services,
ROBERT M. COWAN, Director of the National Benefits Center of CIS, and
ROBERT MATHER, District Director for the Denver CIS District,
Defendants.
ORDER RE: MOTIONS FOR SUMMARY JUDGMENT
Blackburn, J.
The matters before me are (1) Plaintiff’s Motion for Summary Judgment
[#24]1 filed June 10, 2009; and (2) Defendants’ Motion for Summary Judgment [#25],
filed June 10, 2009. I grant plaintiff’s motion and deny defendants’ motion.
I. JURISDICTION
I have jurisdiction over this matter pursuant to 28 U.S.C. §1331 (federal
question), in combination with the Administrative Procedure Act, 5 U.S.C. §701 et seq.
(the “APA”).2
Case 1:08-cv-00671-REB Document 30 Filed 03/29/10 USDC Colorado Page 1 of 10
1167, 1170 (10th Cir. 1997). However, as noted in my Order Concerning Motion To Dismiss Amended
Complaint [#22], filed March 25, 2009, any distinction between the APA and the Mandamus Act is
ultimately irrelevant. See Hernandez-Avalos v. I.N.S., 50 F.3d 842, 844 (10th Cir.) (noting that the
Mandamus Act and the APA are “merely different means of compelling an agency to take action [that] by
law it is required to take”), cert. denied, 116 S.Ct. 92 (1995) (citations and internal quotation marks
omitted). Because the relief plaintiff seeks under the APA and the Mandamus Act is “essentially the
same,” I do not separately analyze plaintiff’s claims under the Mandamus Act. Independence Mining Co.
v. Babbitt, 105 F.3d 502, 507 (9th Cir. 1997).
II. STANDARD OF REVIEW
Summary judgment is proper when there is no genuine issue as to any material
fact and the movant is entitled to judgment as a matter of law. Fed. R. Civ. P. 56(c);
Celotex Corp. v. Catrett, 477 U.S. 317, 322, 106 S.Ct. 2548, 2552, 91 L.Ed.2d 265
(1986). A dispute is “genuine” if the issue could be resolved in favor of either party.
Matsushita Electric Industrial Co., Ltd. v. Zenith Radio Corp., 475 U.S. 574, 586,
106 S.Ct. 1348, 1356, 89 L.Ed.2d 538 (1986); Farthing v. City of Shawnee, 39 F.3d
1131, 1135 (10th Cir. 1994). A fact is “material” if it might reasonably affect the outcome
of the case. Anderson v. Liberty Lobby, Inc., 477 U.S. 242, 248, 106 S.Ct. 2505,
2510, 91 L.Ed.2d 202 (1986); Farthing, 39 F.3d at 1134.
A party who does not have the burden of proof at trial must show the absence of
a genuine fact issue. Concrete Works, Inc. v. City & County of Denver, 36 F.3d
1513, 1517 (10th Cir. 1994), cert. denied, 115 S.Ct. 1315 (1995). By contrast, a movant
who bears the burden of proof must submit evidence to establish every essential
element of its claim or affirmative defense. See In re Ribozyme Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
Securities Litigation, 209 F.Supp.2d 1106, 1111 (D. Colo. 2002). In either case, once
the motion has been properly supported, the burden shifts to the nonmovant to show, by
tendering depositions, affidavits, and other competent evidence, that summary
Case 1:08-cv-00671-REB Document 30 Filed 03/29/10 USDC Colorado Page 2 of 10
3 The mere fact that the parties have filed cross-motions for summary judgment does not
necessarily indicate that summary judgment is proper. See Atlantic Richfield Co. v. Farm Credit Bank
of Wichita, 226 F.3d 1138, 1148 (10th Cir. 2000); James Barlow Family Ltd. Partnership v. David M.
Munson, Inc., 132 F.3d 1316, 1319 (10th Cir. 1997); see also Buell Cabinet Co. v. Sudduth, 608 F.2d
431, 433 (10th Cir. 1979) (“Cross-motions for summary judgment are to be treated separately; the denial of
one does not require the grant of another.”).
4 As plaintiff failed to respond to defendants’ motion for summary judgment and the undisputed
facts cited therein, I deem those facts undisputed. Moreover, in his reply brief, plaintiff accepts and
incorporates the facts set forth in defendants’ motion.
5 This process is known colloquially as obtaining a “green card.”
judgment is not proper. Concrete Works, 36 F.3d at 1518.3 All the evidence must be
viewed in the light most favorable to the party opposing the motion. Simms v.
Oklahoma ex rel. Department of Mental Health and Substance Abuse Services,
165 F.3d 1321, 1326 (10th Cir.) cert. denied, 528 U.S. 815, 120 S.Ct. 53, 145 L.Ed.2d
46 (1999). However, conclusory statements and testimony based merely on conjecture
or subjective belief are not competent summary judgment evidence. Rice v. United
States, 166 F.3d 1088, 1092 (10th Cir.), cert. denied, 528 U.S. 933, 120 S.Ct. 334, 145
L.Ed.2d 260 (1999).
III. ANALYSIS
The facts of this case are largely undisputed.4 Plaintiff is a citizen of Lebanon
who obtained refugee status in the United States on February 14, 2001, arriving from
Iraq with his wife and son. He has resided in the United States since that date. On his
refugee application, he disclosed that he had been a member of the Iraqi Dawa party
from 1980 to 1986. On April 30, 2002, plaintiff submitted a form I-485 application to the
United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (“USCIS”) to obtain an adjustment
of residency status from refugee to legal permanent resident (“LPR”).5
Case 1:08-cv-00671-REB Document 30 Filed 03/29/10 USDC Colorado Page 3 of 10
6 Defendants recently filed a notice stating that plaintiff’s application is still on hold pending
determination whether the Dawa party is subject to the legislative exemption. (See Defendants’
Supplement to Their Motion for Summary Judgment [Doc. No. 25] and to Their Response to
Plaintiff’s Motion for Summary Judgment [Doc. No. 26] [#29], filed March 19, 2010.)
As a part of the I-485 application processing procedures, plaintiff’s name was
submitted to the Federal Bureau of Investigation (“FBI”) for a background check, the
results of which would allow the USCIS to undertake various additional security checks
and begin adjudication of his application. The FBI completed its name check in March,
2008. However, plaintiff’s application remains pending.
The Dawa party has been designated as a “Tier III” terrorist organization and
under prior law, plaintiff’s past association with this organization would likely have
resulted in denial of his application and his removal from the United States. However,
shortly before the FBI’s background check of plaintiff’s application was completed,
Congress expanded the Secretary of Homeland Security’s discretion to allow individuals
associated with certain terrorist groups to become LPRs. See 8 U.S.C. §1182(d). The
process of determining which groups are eligible for this categorization is lengthy and is
further protracted in requiring collaboration with the Secretary of State and the Attorney
General. The USCIS has interposed a policy placing several I-485 applications,
including plaintiff’s, on indefinite hold while it determines which organizations fall within
the ambit of the new legislation.6
In April, 2008, plaintiff filed a complaint seeking injunctive and declaratory relief.
He subsequently filed an amended complaint, seeking (1) a writ of mandamus, an
Case 1:08-cv-00671-REB Document 30 Filed 03/29/10 USDC Colorado Page 4 of 10
7 Although plaintiff does not address his claims under the Immigration and Nationality Act, I note
that the statute does not provide a cause of action for an applicant who has not yet been subjected to
examination. See Walji v. Gonzales, 500 F.3d 432, 439 (5th Cir. 2007). Nowhere has plaintiff specified
whether or when he was subjected to examination. The longstanding well-pleaded complaint rule requires
that “the federal question giving rise to jurisdiction must appear on the face of the complaint.” Karnes v.
Boeing Co., 335 F.3d 1189, 1192 (10th Cir. 2003). I, therefore, find that plaintiff has not established that I
have subject matter jurisdiction over his claim and dismiss it. Schrier v. University of Colorado, 427
F.3d 1253, 1268 (10th Cir. 2005) (holding that a district court can sua sponte dismiss a claim when subject
matter jurisdiction lacking). In any event, dismissal of this claim yields little practical effect in this case, as
the claim is co-extensive with plaintiff’s claims under the APA and the Mandamus Act.
injunction under the APA, and an order under the Immigration and Nationality Act7
directing immediate adjudication of his application for LPR status; and (2) judicial
declarations that defendants’ policies and practices violated duties owed to him under
the Immigration and Nationality Act as well as his Constitutional rights under the Fifth
Amendment. The present motions seek summary judgment only as to plaintiff’s claim
seeking adjudication of his application, and it is to that issue that I now turn.
Plaintiff’s claim for adjudication arises under section 706 of the APA, which
provides relief by allowing a court to compel agency action that the agency has
“unlawfully withheld or unreasonably delayed.” Norton v. Southern Utah Wilderness
Alliance, 542 U.S. 55, 62, 124 S.Ct. 2373, 2378, 159 L.Ed.2d 137 (2004). In making
this determination, I must consider “(1) the extent of the delay, (2) the reasonableness
of the delay in the context of the legislation authorizing agency action, (3) the
consequences of the delay, and (4) administrative difficulties bearing on the agency’s
ability to resolve an issue.” Qwest Communications International Inc v. Federal
Communications Commission, 398 F.3d 1222, 1239 (10th Cir. 2005); see also Kim v.
United States Citizenship & Immigration Services, 551 F.Supp. 2d 1258, 1265 (D.
Colo. 2008). Considering each of these factors, I find that all weigh in favor of plaintiff’s
Case 1:08-cv-00671-REB Document 30 Filed 03/29/10 USDC Colorado Page 5 of 10
8 Although there is no specific statutory time requirement for the USCIS to adjudicate I-485
applications, Congress has set a normative expectation that a reasonable period is “not later than 180
days after the initial filing of the application.” 8 U.S.C. §1571. See also Kashkool v. Chertoff, 553
F.Supp.2d 1131, 1144 (D. Ariz. 2008).
demand for adjudication.
Regarding the extent of the delay, defendants assert that the USCIS should not
be faulted for the six years it took the FBI to complete a name check on plaintiff.
Because completion of the name check is a prerequisite to adjudication of the
application, defendants reason that the USCIS is accountable only for any perceived
delay after the name check was completed in March, 2008. Plaintiff does not address
this factor directly, but underscores that he filed his application in April, 2002, and that
his application is now on indefinite hold. I find plaintiff’s position compelling.
As a matter of course, the USCIS and, by extension, the FBI, should be granted
a reasonable time to complete a name check.8 What constitutes a reasonable amount
of time varies depending on the specific facts of the case, including the amount of
information regarding the applicant that needs to be collected and the difficulty of
obtaining such information. “However, it is the government’s burden to offer an
explanation for a particular delay.” Aslam v. Mukasey, 531 F.Supp.2d 736, 744 (E.D.
Va. 2008). Here, defendants merely foist blame on the FBI and assert that “whether the
FBI would have been subject to a claim of unreasonable delay is not the issue.”
(Defendants’ Motion for Summary Judgment at 16 [#25] filed June 10, 2010.) To the
contrary, it is precisely the issue. The APA imposes a legal obligation on the USCIS to
adjudicate I-485 applications and, by implication, name checks relating to such
applications, within a reasonable period of time. “If the FBI’s name check process is
Case 1:08-cv-00671-REB Document 30 Filed 03/29/10 USDC Colorado Page 6 of 10
obstructing compliance with that legal obligation, [US]CIS must either remove the
obstruction or accept the legal penalties.” Aslam, 531 F.Supp.2d at 744. Moreover,
independent of whether the FBI’s six-year delay was reasonable, the fact remains that
plaintiff’s application is not even in the queue to be considered, and defendants have
given no indication of when or even whether this circumstance may change. Such
indeterminate deferment favors an order for immediate adjudication.
Turning to the reasonableness of the delay, defendants correctly maintain that I
must consider “the context of the legislation authorizing agency action,” Qwest, 398
F.3d at 1249, and point me to the legislation allowing the USCIS to grant LPR status to
individuals associated with certain terrorist organizations. Defendants assert that this is
a sensitive and complicated task and underscore that plaintiff’s application has been
given an elevated status to determine if his case has “compelling circumstances,” so as
to warrant adjudication. In response, plaintiff concedes that his case may be complex
and may invoke national security concerns, but emphasizes that adjudication of his
application has been delayed indefinitely. Again, plaintiff’s position is persuasive.
While I appreciate that the USCIS is burdened with a delicate and difficult task
and that the agency is striving to maintain consistency and make reasoned decisions, I
cannot ignore the agency’s obligation to act on plaintiff’s application in a reasonably
timely manner. See id.; Kashkool v. Chertoff, 553 F.Supp.2d 1131, 1144 (D. Ariz.
2008). That classification of the Dawa party may change at some indeterminate point in
the future does not justify leaving plaintiff’s application in an indefinite state of limbo.
Defendants provide no reason why plaintiff’s application cannot be adjudicated
Case 1:08-cv-00671-REB Document 30 Filed 03/29/10 USDC Colorado Page 7 of 10
immediately, subject to future re-opening and review when and if USCIS policies
regarding the Dawa party change. Under these circumstances, I simply cannot deem
the indefinite delay in this case to be reasonable.
The third factor in this case is perhaps the most factually unusual and requires
ratiocination that is somewhat counterintuitive. However, again the facts ultimately
weigh in favor of plaintiff’s position. Defendants contend that the delay in adjudication
benefits plaintiff. They note that plaintiff currently resides in the United States, is not
subject to removal, and may work and travel so long as he files the requisite
applications and pays the attendant fees. Defendants emphasize that if plaintiff’s
application were to be adjudicated under current USCIS policies, it likely would be
denied and possibly would result in plaintiff’s removal from the United States.
Defendants’ argument puts me in mind of Abraham Lincoln’s aphorism:
“Whenever I hear anyone arguing for slavery, I feel a strong impulse to see it tried on
him personally.” Contrary to the Panglossian picture defendants paint, the legal limbo in
which plaintiff daily finds himself has caused him great stress and anxiety. The
indefinite nature of the delay in adjudicating his application has real and not
insubstantial effects on plaintiff’s life and livelihood, including limitations on his ability to
travel, potential negative consequences on his legal status as a refugee, and the
financial and bureaucratic burdens of regularly filing travel and work applications.
Perhaps most critically, the delay of the final adjudication of plaintiff’s application
necessarily delays his goal of becoming a U.S. citizen. See 8 U.S.C. § 1427(a)
(requiring an LPR to have resided continuously in the United States for five years
Case 1:08-cv-00671-REB Document 30 Filed 03/29/10 USDC Colorado Page 8 of 10
9 Plaintiff quite clearly expresses his wishes to see this process come to a close and alludes to
his ability to appeal denial of his application, should it be necessary.
preceding the date of filing a naturalization application); see also Kashkool, 553
F.Supp.2d at 1145 (finding six-year delay in I-485 adjudication unreasonable and noting
that the delay’s affect on legal immigration status is detrimental to human welfare).
Plaintiff evidently understands that his application may be denied,9 but the
consequences of the indefinite and unreasonable delay in adjudication of his application
are assuredly equally as negative. This factor, therefore, also militates in favor of an
order for immediate adjudication of plaintiff’s I-485 application.
As to the fourth and final factor, defendants argue that the new legislation creates
substantial administrative difficulties for the USCIS in resolving plaintiff’s case and offer
a palaverous iteration of their position that making decisions pursuant to said legislation
is a massive, arduous, and onerous undertaking. Plaintiff contends that any difficulty in
adjudicating his application does not warrant indefinite cunctation, and I must agree.
Defendants offer no argument or evidence to suggest that the USCIS cannot adjudicate
plaintiff’s application immediately. Indeed, by discussing the anticipated denial of
plaintiff’s application, defendants impliedly concede that it can. Although recent
changes in the law may well affect the outcome of plaintiff’s application, in light of
plaintiff’s request and arguments, I cannot countenance further indefinite deferment of
adjudication.
Accordingly, I find that there is no genuine issue of material fact regarding
whether the delay in adjudicating plaintiff’s I-485 application has been unreasonable. It
has. Plaintiff is, therefore, entitled to summary judgment on his APA claim. Conversely,
Case 1:08-cv-00671-REB Document 30 Filed 03/29/10 USDC Colorado Page 9 of 10
defendants’ motion regarding that claim must be denied.
THEREFORE, IT IS ORDERED as follows:
1. That Defendants’ Motion for Summary Judgment [#25] filed June 10, 2009,
is DENIED;
2. That Plaintiff’s Motion for Summary Judgment [#24] filed June 10, 2009, is
GRANTED insofar as it seeks adjudication of his I-485 application under the APA;
3. That plaintiff’s claims for adjudication of his I-485 application under the
Mandamus Act and the Immigration and Nationality Act are DISMISSED;
4. That the USCIS SHALL ADJUDICATE plaintiff’s I-485 application within
thirty (30) days of the date of this order;
5. That within fourteen (14) days of the adjudication of plaintiff’s I-485
application, defendants SHALL FILE a notice with the court reporting the outcome of
the adjudication; and
6. That within ten (10) days of the date of this order, plaintiff SHALL FILE a
notice specifying the claims that remain in this lawsuit and suggesting what further
action, if any, is anticipated, requested, or required in this matter.
Dated March 29, 2010, at Denver, Colorado.
BY THE COURT:
Case 1:08-cv-00671-REB Document 30 Filed 03/29/10 USDC Colorado Page 10 of 10

Selam_all, If you were to go through everything, you'll notice that everyone's come up w/ a consensus - either file for WOM or just stfu. I've come across three people that have successfully filed for WOM. One was shared in this very thread. The other one is a fellow compatriot living in this area ( I don't know him personally but his case was dealt by the lawyer I just approached ) while the other one was another compatriot that I met in a different forum. I don't need to give you a real scenario or anything. You've already branded filing for WOM as a waste of money. That's not the case. If you so desire, please consult the person who shared the evidence of someone from Denver successfully received his GC through WOM. In the meantime, many in here have already contacted the DC attorney while I've already begun seeking my own process of WOM w/ a lawyer here.

just copying and pasting the stuff posted earlier. Posted by Asylee_99, this is on page 9 of this thread

Hi guys,
sorry for copying the whole case
the good news this is first time that mandamus case be won by the plaintiff. this case in denver too.
i checked with my lawyer, do you know how much the uscis has to pay for the legal fees if they lost the mandamus? 30,000$
sp that why they will be forced to resolve all these pending cases....

1 [#24] is an example of the convention I use to identify the docket number assigned to a specific
paper by the court’s case management and electronic case filing system (CM/ECF). I use this convention
throughout this Order.
2 Plaintiff seeks relief under both the APA and the Mandamus Act, 28 U.S.C. §1361, in his
amended complaint and discusses both interchangeably in his motion for summary judgment.
Technically, the availability of relief under the APA precludes plaintiff from seeking a writ of mandamus,
which is only available when no other remedy exists. Mt. Emmons Mining Co. v. Babbitt, 117 F.3d
IN THE UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT
FOR THE DISTRICT OF COLORADO
Judge Robert E. Blackburn
Civil Action No. 08-cv-00671-REB
SAMI AL KARIM,
Plaintiff,
vs.
ERIC HOLDER, Attorney General of the United States,
JANET NAPOLITANO, Secretary for the Department of Homeland Security,
EMILIO T. GONZALEZ, Director for Citizenship and Immigration Services,
ROBERT M. COWAN, Director of the National Benefits Center of CIS, and
ROBERT MATHER, District Director for the Denver CIS District,
Defendants.
ORDER RE: MOTIONS FOR SUMMARY JUDGMENT
Blackburn, J.
The matters before me are (1) Plaintiff’s Motion for Summary Judgment
[#24]1 filed June 10, 2009; and (2) Defendants’ Motion for Summary Judgment [#25],
filed June 10, 2009. I grant plaintiff’s motion and deny defendants’ motion.
I. JURISDICTION
I have jurisdiction over this matter pursuant to 28 U.S.C. §1331 (federal
question), in combination with the Administrative Procedure Act, 5 U.S.C. §701 et seq.
(the “APA”).2
Case 1:08-cv-00671-REB Document 30 Filed 03/29/10 USDC Colorado Page 1 of 10
1167, 1170 (10th Cir. 1997). However, as noted in my Order Concerning Motion To Dismiss Amended
Complaint [#22], filed March 25, 2009, any distinction between the APA and the Mandamus Act is
ultimately irrelevant. See Hernandez-Avalos v. I.N.S., 50 F.3d 842, 844 (10th Cir.) (noting that the
Mandamus Act and the APA are “merely different means of compelling an agency to take action [that] by
law it is required to take”), cert. denied, 116 S.Ct. 92 (1995) (citations and internal quotation marks
omitted). Because the relief plaintiff seeks under the APA and the Mandamus Act is “essentially the
same,” I do not separately analyze plaintiff’s claims under the Mandamus Act. Independence Mining Co.
v. Babbitt, 105 F.3d 502, 507 (9th Cir. 1997).
II. STANDARD OF REVIEW
Summary judgment is proper when there is no genuine issue as to any material
fact and the movant is entitled to judgment as a matter of law. Fed. R. Civ. P. 56(c);
Celotex Corp. v. Catrett, 477 U.S. 317, 322, 106 S.Ct. 2548, 2552, 91 L.Ed.2d 265
(1986). A dispute is “genuine” if the issue could be resolved in favor of either party.
Matsushita Electric Industrial Co., Ltd. v. Zenith Radio Corp., 475 U.S. 574, 586,
106 S.Ct. 1348, 1356, 89 L.Ed.2d 538 (1986); Farthing v. City of Shawnee, 39 F.3d
1131, 1135 (10th Cir. 1994). A fact is “material” if it might reasonably affect the outcome
of the case. Anderson v. Liberty Lobby, Inc., 477 U.S. 242, 248, 106 S.Ct. 2505,
2510, 91 L.Ed.2d 202 (1986); Farthing, 39 F.3d at 1134.
A party who does not have the burden of proof at trial must show the absence of
a genuine fact issue. Concrete Works, Inc. v. City & County of Denver, 36 F.3d
1513, 1517 (10th Cir. 1994), cert. denied, 115 S.Ct. 1315 (1995). By contrast, a movant
who bears the burden of proof must submit evidence to establish every essential
element of its claim or affirmative defense. See In re Ribozyme Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
Securities Litigation, 209 F.Supp.2d 1106, 1111 (D. Colo. 2002). In either case, once
the motion has been properly supported, the burden shifts to the nonmovant to show, by
tendering depositions, affidavits, and other competent evidence, that summary
Case 1:08-cv-00671-REB Document 30 Filed 03/29/10 USDC Colorado Page 2 of 10
3 The mere fact that the parties have filed cross-motions for summary judgment does not
necessarily indicate that summary judgment is proper. See Atlantic Richfield Co. v. Farm Credit Bank
of Wichita, 226 F.3d 1138, 1148 (10th Cir. 2000); James Barlow Family Ltd. Partnership v. David M.
Munson, Inc., 132 F.3d 1316, 1319 (10th Cir. 1997); see also Buell Cabinet Co. v. Sudduth, 608 F.2d
431, 433 (10th Cir. 1979) (“Cross-motions for summary judgment are to be treated separately; the denial of
one does not require the grant of another.”).
4 As plaintiff failed to respond to defendants’ motion for summary judgment and the undisputed
facts cited therein, I deem those facts undisputed. Moreover, in his reply brief, plaintiff accepts and
incorporates the facts set forth in defendants’ motion.
5 This process is known colloquially as obtaining a “green card.”
judgment is not proper. Concrete Works, 36 F.3d at 1518.3 All the evidence must be
viewed in the light most favorable to the party opposing the motion. Simms v.
Oklahoma ex rel. Department of Mental Health and Substance Abuse Services,
165 F.3d 1321, 1326 (10th Cir.) cert. denied, 528 U.S. 815, 120 S.Ct. 53, 145 L.Ed.2d
46 (1999). However, conclusory statements and testimony based merely on conjecture
or subjective belief are not competent summary judgment evidence. Rice v. United
States, 166 F.3d 1088, 1092 (10th Cir.), cert. denied, 528 U.S. 933, 120 S.Ct. 334, 145
L.Ed.2d 260 (1999).
III. ANALYSIS
The facts of this case are largely undisputed.4 Plaintiff is a citizen of Lebanon
who obtained refugee status in the United States on February 14, 2001, arriving from
Iraq with his wife and son. He has resided in the United States since that date. On his
refugee application, he disclosed that he had been a member of the Iraqi Dawa party
from 1980 to 1986. On April 30, 2002, plaintiff submitted a form I-485 application to the
United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (“USCIS”) to obtain an adjustment
of residency status from refugee to legal permanent resident (“LPR”).5
Case 1:08-cv-00671-REB Document 30 Filed 03/29/10 USDC Colorado Page 3 of 10
6 Defendants recently filed a notice stating that plaintiff’s application is still on hold pending
determination whether the Dawa party is subject to the legislative exemption. (See Defendants’
Supplement to Their Motion for Summary Judgment [Doc. No. 25] and to Their Response to
Plaintiff’s Motion for Summary Judgment [Doc. No. 26] [#29], filed March 19, 2010.)
As a part of the I-485 application processing procedures, plaintiff’s name was
submitted to the Federal Bureau of Investigation (“FBI”) for a background check, the
results of which would allow the USCIS to undertake various additional security checks
and begin adjudication of his application. The FBI completed its name check in March,
2008. However, plaintiff’s application remains pending.
The Dawa party has been designated as a “Tier III” terrorist organization and
under prior law, plaintiff’s past association with this organization would likely have
resulted in denial of his application and his removal from the United States. However,
shortly before the FBI’s background check of plaintiff’s application was completed,
Congress expanded the Secretary of Homeland Security’s discretion to allow individuals
associated with certain terrorist groups to become LPRs. See 8 U.S.C. §1182(d). The
process of determining which groups are eligible for this categorization is lengthy and is
further protracted in requiring collaboration with the Secretary of State and the Attorney
General. The USCIS has interposed a policy placing several I-485 applications,
including plaintiff’s, on indefinite hold while it determines which organizations fall within
the ambit of the new legislation.6
In April, 2008, plaintiff filed a complaint seeking injunctive and declaratory relief.
He subsequently filed an amended complaint, seeking (1) a writ of mandamus, an
Case 1:08-cv-00671-REB Document 30 Filed 03/29/10 USDC Colorado Page 4 of 10
7 Although plaintiff does not address his claims under the Immigration and Nationality Act, I note
that the statute does not provide a cause of action for an applicant who has not yet been subjected to
examination. See Walji v. Gonzales, 500 F.3d 432, 439 (5th Cir. 2007). Nowhere has plaintiff specified
whether or when he was subjected to examination. The longstanding well-pleaded complaint rule requires
that “the federal question giving rise to jurisdiction must appear on the face of the complaint.” Karnes v.
Boeing Co., 335 F.3d 1189, 1192 (10th Cir. 2003). I, therefore, find that plaintiff has not established that I
have subject matter jurisdiction over his claim and dismiss it. Schrier v. University of Colorado, 427
F.3d 1253, 1268 (10th Cir. 2005) (holding that a district court can sua sponte dismiss a claim when subject
matter jurisdiction lacking). In any event, dismissal of this claim yields little practical effect in this case, as
the claim is co-extensive with plaintiff’s claims under the APA and the Mandamus Act.
injunction under the APA, and an order under the Immigration and Nationality Act7
directing immediate adjudication of his application for LPR status; and (2) judicial
declarations that defendants’ policies and practices violated duties owed to him under
the Immigration and Nationality Act as well as his Constitutional rights under the Fifth
Amendment. The present motions seek summary judgment only as to plaintiff’s claim
seeking adjudication of his application, and it is to that issue that I now turn.
Plaintiff’s claim for adjudication arises under section 706 of the APA, which
provides relief by allowing a court to compel agency action that the agency has
“unlawfully withheld or unreasonably delayed.” Norton v. Southern Utah Wilderness
Alliance, 542 U.S. 55, 62, 124 S.Ct. 2373, 2378, 159 L.Ed.2d 137 (2004). In making
this determination, I must consider “(1) the extent of the delay, (2) the reasonableness
of the delay in the context of the legislation authorizing agency action, (3) the
consequences of the delay, and (4) administrative difficulties bearing on the agency’s
ability to resolve an issue.” Qwest Communications International Inc v. Federal
Communications Commission, 398 F.3d 1222, 1239 (10th Cir. 2005); see also Kim v.
United States Citizenship & Immigration Services, 551 F.Supp. 2d 1258, 1265 (D.
Colo. 2008). Considering each of these factors, I find that all weigh in favor of plaintiff’s
Case 1:08-cv-00671-REB Document 30 Filed 03/29/10 USDC Colorado Page 5 of 10
8 Although there is no specific statutory time requirement for the USCIS to adjudicate I-485
applications, Congress has set a normative expectation that a reasonable period is “not later than 180
days after the initial filing of the application.” 8 U.S.C. §1571. See also Kashkool v. Chertoff, 553
F.Supp.2d 1131, 1144 (D. Ariz. 2008).
demand for adjudication.
Regarding the extent of the delay, defendants assert that the USCIS should not
be faulted for the six years it took the FBI to complete a name check on plaintiff.
Because completion of the name check is a prerequisite to adjudication of the
application, defendants reason that the USCIS is accountable only for any perceived
delay after the name check was completed in March, 2008. Plaintiff does not address
this factor directly, but underscores that he filed his application in April, 2002, and that
his application is now on indefinite hold. I find plaintiff’s position compelling.
As a matter of course, the USCIS and, by extension, the FBI, should be granted
a reasonable time to complete a name check.8 What constitutes a reasonable amount
of time varies depending on the specific facts of the case, including the amount of
information regarding the applicant that needs to be collected and the difficulty of
obtaining such information. “However, it is the government’s burden to offer an
explanation for a particular delay.” Aslam v. Mukasey, 531 F.Supp.2d 736, 744 (E.D.
Va. 2008). Here, defendants merely foist blame on the FBI and assert that “whether the
FBI would have been subject to a claim of unreasonable delay is not the issue.”
(Defendants’ Motion for Summary Judgment at 16 [#25] filed June 10, 2010.) To the
contrary, it is precisely the issue. The APA imposes a legal obligation on the USCIS to
adjudicate I-485 applications and, by implication, name checks relating to such
applications, within a reasonable period of time. “If the FBI’s name check process is
Case 1:08-cv-00671-REB Document 30 Filed 03/29/10 USDC Colorado Page 6 of 10
obstructing compliance with that legal obligation, [US]CIS must either remove the
obstruction or accept the legal penalties.” Aslam, 531 F.Supp.2d at 744. Moreover,
independent of whether the FBI’s six-year delay was reasonable, the fact remains that
plaintiff’s application is not even in the queue to be considered, and defendants have
given no indication of when or even whether this circumstance may change. Such
indeterminate deferment favors an order for immediate adjudication.
Turning to the reasonableness of the delay, defendants correctly maintain that I
must consider “the context of the legislation authorizing agency action,” Qwest, 398
F.3d at 1249, and point me to the legislation allowing the USCIS to grant LPR status to
individuals associated with certain terrorist organizations. Defendants assert that this is
a sensitive and complicated task and underscore that plaintiff’s application has been
given an elevated status to determine if his case has “compelling circumstances,” so as
to warrant adjudication. In response, plaintiff concedes that his case may be complex
and may invoke national security concerns, but emphasizes that adjudication of his
application has been delayed indefinitely. Again, plaintiff’s position is persuasive.
While I appreciate that the USCIS is burdened with a delicate and difficult task
and that the agency is striving to maintain consistency and make reasoned decisions, I
cannot ignore the agency’s obligation to act on plaintiff’s application in a reasonably
timely manner. See id.; Kashkool v. Chertoff, 553 F.Supp.2d 1131, 1144 (D. Ariz.
2008). That classification of the Dawa party may change at some indeterminate point in
the future does not justify leaving plaintiff’s application in an indefinite state of limbo.
Defendants provide no reason why plaintiff’s application cannot be adjudicated
Case 1:08-cv-00671-REB Document 30 Filed 03/29/10 USDC Colorado Page 7 of 10
immediately, subject to future re-opening and review when and if USCIS policies
regarding the Dawa party change. Under these circumstances, I simply cannot deem
the indefinite delay in this case to be reasonable.
The third factor in this case is perhaps the most factually unusual and requires
ratiocination that is somewhat counterintuitive. However, again the facts ultimately
weigh in favor of plaintiff’s position. Defendants contend that the delay in adjudication
benefits plaintiff. They note that plaintiff currently resides in the United States, is not
subject to removal, and may work and travel so long as he files the requisite
applications and pays the attendant fees. Defendants emphasize that if plaintiff’s
application were to be adjudicated under current USCIS policies, it likely would be
denied and possibly would result in plaintiff’s removal from the United States.
Defendants’ argument puts me in mind of Abraham Lincoln’s aphorism:
“Whenever I hear anyone arguing for slavery, I feel a strong impulse to see it tried on
him personally.” Contrary to the Panglossian picture defendants paint, the legal limbo in
which plaintiff daily finds himself has caused him great stress and anxiety. The
indefinite nature of the delay in adjudicating his application has real and not
insubstantial effects on plaintiff’s life and livelihood, including limitations on his ability to
travel, potential negative consequences on his legal status as a refugee, and the
financial and bureaucratic burdens of regularly filing travel and work applications.
Perhaps most critically, the delay of the final adjudication of plaintiff’s application
necessarily delays his goal of becoming a U.S. citizen. See 8 U.S.C. § 1427(a)
(requiring an LPR to have resided continuously in the United States for five years
Case 1:08-cv-00671-REB Document 30 Filed 03/29/10 USDC Colorado Page 8 of 10
9 Plaintiff quite clearly expresses his wishes to see this process come to a close and alludes to
his ability to appeal denial of his application, should it be necessary.
preceding the date of filing a naturalization application); see also Kashkool, 553
F.Supp.2d at 1145 (finding six-year delay in I-485 adjudication unreasonable and noting
that the delay’s affect on legal immigration status is detrimental to human welfare).
Plaintiff evidently understands that his application may be denied,9 but the
consequences of the indefinite and unreasonable delay in adjudication of his application
are assuredly equally as negative. This factor, therefore, also militates in favor of an
order for immediate adjudication of plaintiff’s I-485 application.
As to the fourth and final factor, defendants argue that the new legislation creates
substantial administrative difficulties for the USCIS in resolving plaintiff’s case and offer
a palaverous iteration of their position that making decisions pursuant to said legislation
is a massive, arduous, and onerous undertaking. Plaintiff contends that any difficulty in
adjudicating his application does not warrant indefinite cunctation, and I must agree.
Defendants offer no argument or evidence to suggest that the USCIS cannot adjudicate
plaintiff’s application immediately. Indeed, by discussing the anticipated denial of
plaintiff’s application, defendants impliedly concede that it can. Although recent
changes in the law may well affect the outcome of plaintiff’s application, in light of
plaintiff’s request and arguments, I cannot countenance further indefinite deferment of
adjudication.
Accordingly, I find that there is no genuine issue of material fact regarding
whether the delay in adjudicating plaintiff’s I-485 application has been unreasonable. It
has. Plaintiff is, therefore, entitled to summary judgment on his APA claim. Conversely,
Case 1:08-cv-00671-REB Document 30 Filed 03/29/10 USDC Colorado Page 9 of 10
defendants’ motion regarding that claim must be denied.
THEREFORE, IT IS ORDERED as follows:
1. That Defendants’ Motion for Summary Judgment [#25] filed June 10, 2009,
is DENIED;
2. That Plaintiff’s Motion for Summary Judgment [#24] filed June 10, 2009, is
GRANTED insofar as it seeks adjudication of his I-485 application under the APA;
application, defendants SHALL FILE a notice with the court reporting the outcome of
the adjudication; and
notice specifying the claims that remain in this lawsuit and suggesting what further
BY THE COURT:
Case 1:08-cv-00671-REB Document 30 Filed 03/29/10 USDC Colorado Page 10 of 10

Thanks for the post but where does it show that his case was approved/adjudicated, there are several cases where the court ordered the WOM be decided, but I was wondering if any of them were adjudicated by USCIS in favor of asylee.

This is vey good news.

Thanks locker9 for re-posting this article, thanks to Aslylee99 for posting this article( I didn't really see this article). Thank you The.Walker for standing by your assertion that we must file for WOM. Now, that I have proof that we can use WOM to force the USCIS to decide to adjudicate our I-485, I am going to file for WOM. I concur The.Walker:) Now the question is how much does it cost? One attorney told me that the initial fee will mount up to $20,000 dollars. Any idea? Now, let see and collect some cases and study them carefully. But the above case is very encouraging.

i thought the argument until the repost of the post by asylee99 was WOM is unwinnable in our case which is proven wrong by the case above. now it is proven WOM can be winnable you're saying what's the proof that he got his green card. you know i can't answer that question because i'm not his lawyer, him or the judge who granted the victory on the case. but i wonder even if even if i had provided the proof maybe the next question would be what proof do i have if the card is authentic or not,lol, maybe next question would be if it is good enough to slide in through the bathroom door and open the locked door, etc etc... this is all it is in the case above, again:

. That Plaintiff’s Motion for Summary Judgment [#24] filed June 10, 2009, is
the adjudication; and

Thanks locker9 for re-posting this article, thanks to Aslylee99 for posting this article( I didn't really see this article). Thank you The.Walker for standing by your assertion that we must file for WOM. Now, that I have proof that we can use WOM to force the USCIS to decide to adjudicate our I-485, I am going to file for WOM. I concur The.Walker:) Now the question is how much does it cost? One attorney told me that the initial fee will mount up to $20,000 dollars. Any idea? Now, let see and collect some cases and study them carefully. But the above case is very encouraging.

What part of this case is encouraging, I am wondering what material is related to approvals, I do know USCIS mainly tried to settle some cases outside the court with regards and the applications were withdrawn by the plaintiff after the court ordered the wom be in favor of adjudication in time.
However deportation proceeding based on 212 a 3 b were squashed and dismissed by the court in some cases, but none that I heard were approved, if any one can post any decision approved based on WOM that will be encouraging and it will be appreciated, lets hope some one shows up with something tangible.

"That the USCIS SHALL ADJUDICATE plaintiff’s I-485 application within
thirty (30) days of the date of this order".

This is very good news guys because now Mr. Karim will see his case being adjudicated. The judge is ordering the USCIS to adjudicate the case, well, basically either deny the case or approve it! This particular guy, Mr. Karim is an Iraqi national and he was a member of the Dawa group, Tier III terrorist organization. Remember we don't whether the Dawa group is cleared yet from the Tier III TOs. It the Dawa group is cleared, he may get his GC. But, it the Dawa group is not cleared he will be put to deportation proceeding because he waived his right to be out of the hold for one and because the COP situation has changed: Saddam Hussein is not in power anymore and Prime Minister Al Malachi of Iraq is also a member of the Dawa group. This is the risk of following with the WOM. Once deportation proceeding is ensued, you will lose your asylum status, you will lose your work permit and you have to go a lengthy and expensive appears process. This is the risk that I am afraid of. My COP situation is not going to change any time soon, my only problem is if the opposition party I used to belong is still not cleared, my head will be in the sand. So lets thread carefully and study the cases first. If anybody can reach Mr. Sami Al-Karim in Denver, CO and see his GC status that will be great. Till then, although I am optimistic, lets study the cases and see who got his GC and what whether the group he/she belongs was cleared or not, or if there is and change in the COP.

The.Walker, sorry for my ambivalence, I am being very careful now. Now you can see guys why the hold is very good. Once you file WOM and USCIS is ordered to adjudicate your case, you better make sure that , first and for most, your COP situation doesn't change significant enough to derail your asylum status. Optimism with careful understanding of the cases. When the judge ordered the USCIS to adjudicate the case, it doesn't meet automatic GC! Let's hope so that it goes that direction. Hope, alone is not enough reason to pursue with WOM, at least in my case. I am preparing to file my case after I study few case with positive precedents.

Hello All,
I found this forum very informative and I thank all the great minds who post here. Here is my situation, I want your opinion if WOM will work in my case. I was granted asylum from an immigration Judge in 1998, applied for GC on 1999 and still pending. 2004 my wife won green card lottery, we applied together my wife received her green card and I didn't because Nebraska didn't send my file on time before the end the fiscal year. In 2008 my 1999 case was denied because of INA 212 a 3 b thing. Few weeks later they re-opened the case again and now is pending again. Last year my wife became citizen, I applied again through her last October. We did the interview in January 2010. The immigration officer approved my wife petition I-130 and said she will request my file from Nebraska, she did but the file didn't arrive yet. I involved both of my Senators but as of yesterday the file didn't arrive. My question is this: Is WOM is going help of used it for my 2009 application? Thank you all.

The.Walker, sorry for my ambivalence, I am being very careful now. Now you can see guys why the hold is very good. Once you file WOM and USCIS is ordered to adjudicate your case, you better make sure that , first and for most, your COP situation doesn't change significant enough to derail your asylum status. Optimism with careful understanding of the cases. When the judge ordered the USCIS to adjudicate the case, it doesn't meet automatic GC! Let's hope so that it goes that direction. Hope, alone is not enough reason to pursue with WOM, at least in my case. I am preparing to file my case after I study few case with positive precedents.

Good way of putting up your view, thanks
The way things changed on 212 a 3 b the things can change in adjudications with WOM, over all it is a bad idea for some or most, it will be a long story to tell all of you as there are similar cases who won after filing WOM, but not through WOM but by means of other reasons, I am not convinced WOM can help get case approved unless I see one genuine case directly winning through WOM, and not some one some one else knows.

Hello All,
I found this forum very informative and I thank all the great minds who post here. Here is my situation, I want your opinion if WOM will work in my case. I was granted asylum from an immigration Judge in 1998, applied for GC on 1999 and still pending. 2004 my wife won green card lottery, we applied together my wife received her green card and I didn't because Nebraska didn't send my file on time before the end the fiscal year. In 2008 my 1999 case was denied because of INA 212 a 3 b thing. Few weeks later they re-opened the case again and now is pending again. Last year my wife became citizen, I applied again through her last October. We did the interview in January 2010. The immigration officer approved my wife petition I-130 and said she will request my file from Nebraska, she did but the file didn't arrive yet. I involved both of my Senators but as of yesterday the file didn't arrive. My question is this: Is WOM is going help of used it for my 2009 application? Thank you all.

My case file was also requested by USCIS local service center, the file never came, first time I went there they said they will request Nebraska to sent them my file, we were all so happy, later when I went there after a month I was told the file may be in cross mail and should be there, third time the supervisor avoided I continued going there as I was told he was in the meeting and finally realized he does not want to see me, later in September 09 I got email about 212 a 3 ..., I hope this was helpful to answer your question.
Now I don't know if your wife sponsored what effect will it be of your application as every thing is a big national security secret and we don't know what can be made a reason to hold your case.

Pending99, I am surprised that you applied for I-485 with your I-130 approval case. Normally, you can't have two I-485 at the same time. I would have withdraw the original I-485 as a result of asylum and proceed with I-485 due to your I-130 approval. The problem with your case, you may not get your green card as a result of your I-130 approval. Your membership in an opposition group( I am assuming that how you got your asylum case approved) may prevent you from getting your I-485. In any case, it is a good idea to contact an attorney who is familiar with this issue. I am just giving you an idea to what I think should or could happen. It was a good thing that they reversed your asylum denial and put you on hold instead. Good luck to you.