I am laid off before 180 days and I cannot discuss this with my lawyer

485case

Registered Users (C)
as she goes by rules and has told me that she will inform it to INS and my Green Card process will get terminated. What shall I do?? On what basis can I change lawyer and can it trigger RFE for Employment and paystubs ?please advice.

Lawyer don\'t have the right to inform INS about your termination

She can inform INS that she no longer represents you.

She don\'t have the right to send in the notice.

Only your employer can give your lawyer the green light to send that notice.
Don\'t worry, I\'m in the same boat as you too. But we are fine, as long as our I485 is not adjucate within 180 days. We are still in status. Use your EAD card to get a new job

Get a new job with same description.
I\'m job hunting too.

j

what if lawyer is paid by the company or she is a corporate lawyer and works for the same

company? Is she bullshitting is or just being a smart-asss imm. lawyer?
Can anybody elaborate this? Doesn\'t she entitled to protect the company\'s
interest since she may be paid by the company. Jaxen and Mr. Mills
please jump into here and shed some light, this is really a pertinent issue
that we have come across in ages on this sight.

She is not paid anything from my company and has nothing to do with my company

she is own personal lawyer!!!

No Title

man you should change your lawyer .Anyway you are under no obligation to tell her that you have been laid off . DO not tell her anything
that she did not ask for

let the process continue...

and do not tell her anything. If you have your EAD, start looking for another job with the EAD. If you do not have it, you can apply in person to get it. If your case is straightforward, chances are you will have your approval without any problems. Somewhere on this board, I read about a person who was laid off before 180 days and just got his/her approval.
Don\'t worry - you will be fine, good luck !!

Tell her you will report her to the BAR for misrepresenting you .....and u are ready to go all the w

Send her a letter saying that she no longer represents you... make that certified and through an other immi lawyer ...lot of good lawyers around ...i would recommend Kidambi, CT

Change your lawyer ASAP

as you would want your lawyer to represent you in best possible manner. You may want to consider sending her change of attorney notice via your new attorney.

* Disclaimer - Use at your own risk. I am NOT a lawyer *

I had the same experience

Attorneys only work for one person ... Themselves.

She is probably hoping you will terminate your case
and start again, thereby doubling her work-load.

Most attorney\'s don\'t play by the rules anyway.
They bend them as far as they can to meet their
purpose. For example, my attorney wanted to process
my case as an EB1 Extraordinary Alien (the green card
category that Noble Laureates come out on). Now I have
a Ph.D. and all, but I am not in that category. She was
very insistent about this. I put my foot down and said
no. I later learnt that my company pays the lawyers more
for these types of green cards ...

Put your foot down. Your paying her.

Ghewalabhai, My attorney is in Washington D.C.

Lucky are those guys who get good attorneys. Anyways, which attorney do you guys suggest and how much would be the expense can someone please enlighten me.

Confused....

Hi, I was reading this thread and I got little confused over status of the I-485 applicant. Do you have to have a "similar" job if you have been laid off after 180 days (on your I-485) or you can work at any McDonalds until you find a decent job. Does it mean you can NOT stay "lay off" (then whats the advantage of 180 days :) If your company informed INS that this guy has been laid off, will they stop processing your I-485.
All inputs are greatly appreciated.

No Title

To clearly and completely answer your question, someone need to write a book about it. I am not exaggerating, believe me or not. Even a book will not completely answer your questions, since there is no INS regulation to implement the relevant law. Not to let you be disappointed, I will try to answer your question in general terms but be aware, it is not a accurate one and nowhere close to the final decision by INS. And I also recommend you to read some excellent liberature freely availabe on the web to educate yourself on immigration issues. There are:

www.immigration-law.com
www.shusterman.com
www.ilw.com

Here is my try:
Do you have to have a "similar" job if you have been laid off after 180 days (on your I-485) or you can work at any McDonalds until you find a decent job.
Answer: Similar or same profession according to AC21. You can work at McDee any time if you have your EAD. However, at the time INS ajudicate your case, if being asked, you need to provide evidence to satisfy you are in the same or similar profession as in your I485 application.
Does it mean you can NOT stay "lay off" (then whats the advantage of 180 days :) If your company informed INS that this guy has been laid off, will they stop processing your I-485.
Answer: See answer to your first question. If you lost your job after 180 days, it does not matter if our company notify INS or not, as long as you meet the reqirements (see answer to your first question). If before 180 days, if your word "notify" means company withdraw I140, you risk INS deny your I485 application.

Hi, I have an immigration attorney who works for the best interests

of the company. She don\'t give me a jack if I am being screwed.
I will be getting a permanent jod with the client with the same
title. Should I just file G28 form from my new employer or should
and just not inform the INS about the change of job until they ask me?
My client company is willing to contunue my 485.
Suggessions?????

Hi, I have an immigration attorney who works for the best interests

of the company. She don\'t give me a jack if I am being screwed.
I will be getting a permanent job with the client with the same
title. Should I just file G28 form from my new employer or should
and just not inform the INS about the change of job until they ask me?
My client company is willing to contunue my 485.
Suggessions?????

I believe in keeping a tight leash on any paid service ... Including the Immigration

lawyer... I make it absolutely clear in no uncertain manner as to who makes the decisions. Yes and if I were you I would just "Fire" that
attorney... what are you afraid of ?

And by the way it would do a world of good to others if you could
disclose that attorneys name on this board while remaining anonymous yourself.

Goodluck