i-864 tax return copy v/s tax transcript

krakow007

Registered Users (C)
Hello All,
Background -
Getting ready to file for 485 with 864, medical and EAD (130 was somehow miraculously approved two months back and wife will be a citizen in a couple of days). I'm myself currently on a H1
Question -
We're currently filling on the 864 affidavit of support along with my income through 864A. The form asks for our Federal tax returns for the last 3 years. I'm wondering if by federal tax return they mean the copies of the IRS forms (1040) we filled out ? If so then for the couple of years before, for which we dont have the tax return papers , do I need an IRS tax return copy or will an IRS tax transcript do ?

The reason I ask is that when my wife went for her citizenship interview, we ordered the last 5 years' transcripts. Hence if transcripts do then I just have to get mine over the phone and we are done for the tax returns part of it.
What are your experiences and opinions ?
Thanks in advance.

krakow007 said:
Hello All,
Background -
Getting ready to file for 485 with 864, medical and EAD (130 was somehow miraculously approved two months back and wife will be a citizen in a couple of days). I'm myself currently on a H1
Question -
We're currently filling on the 864 affidavit of support along with my income through 864A. The form asks for our Federal tax returns for the last 3 years. I'm wondering if by federal tax return they mean the copies of the IRS forms (1040) we filled out ? If so then for the couple of years before, for which we dont have the tax return papers , do I need an IRS tax return copy or will an IRS tax transcript do ?

The reason I ask is that when my wife went for her citizenship interview, we ordered the last 5 years' transcripts. Hence if transcripts do then I just have to get mine over the phone and we are done for the tax returns part of it.
What are your experiences and opinions ?
Thanks in advance.

If you dont have copies of your past federal tax returns (1040 or other variants), you can call IRS to get tax return transcripts for the previous three years and thats all that is needed for the I-864.

Good Luck!