I-864 Employed and Self-Employed

kewlginko

For I-864 #22, can I check a. and b. because this year (2011) I was both employed and self-employed?

For my current individual annual income, #23, should I put what I made being employed (what will be on my 2011 W2) plus what I made being self-employed (what will be on my 2011 1099s) minus my business expenses (hired labor, etc.)?

If I just put what will be on my 2011 W2 and my 1099s, it will look like I made $30,000, but if I factor in the business expenses I'm going to claim on my 2011 taxes, it will show that I actually only made $15,000. What is the best way to go? Is there an official position on this?

I'm also using my husband's income. He's the intending immigrant. Do I put down his income based on what his salary is or what he takes home every month? For instance, his employment agreement states his annual income is $60,000, but he brings home $52,000 because the rest is taken for tax and health insurance. Which amount do I put?

I'm not confused about what to do for the past 3 years - just fill in my numbers from my past 3 tax returns and attach a copy from last year (2010) along with all my self-employment schedules - but, this "current" income thing is tricky.

Put in the GROSS incomes in both cases. You do not need to factor in the expenses or deductions.
For I-864 #22, can I check a. and b. because this year (2011) I was both employed and self-employed?

For my current individual annual income, #23, should I put what I made being employed (what will be on my 2011 W2) plus what I made being self-employed (what will be on my 2011 1099s) minus my business expenses (hired labor, etc.)?

If I just put what will be on my 2011 W2 and my 1099s, it will look like I made $30,000, but if I factor in the business expenses I'm going to claim on my 2011 taxes, it will show that I actually only made $15,000. What is the best way to go? Is there an official position on this?

I'm also using my husband's income. He's the intending immigrant. Do I put down his income based on what his salary is or what he takes home every month? For instance, his employment agreement states his annual income is $60,000, but he brings home $52,000 because the rest is taken for tax and health insurance. Which amount do I put?

I'm not confused about what to do for the past 3 years - just fill in my numbers from my past 3 tax returns and attach a copy from last year (2010) along with all my self-employment schedules - but, this "current" income thing is tricky.

Put in the GROSS incomes in both cases. You do not need to factor in the expenses or deductions.

For a self-employed person, business expenses should be deducted when calculating their gross income. For example, if a traveling salesman spends $50K for the year traveling around the country to do his work, and got $70K in commissions, he really made just $20K, not $70K. Failing to subtract the expenses would result in exaggerating the gross income.

$60,000.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you! I try to just answer the question using common sense, but these apps don't always follow common sense.

I'm sorry I'm still trying to figure out if my husband should check both employed and self-employed in Part 6 of the new form which is the same question of this lady. I couldn't seem to find any answer for this case. He has just started a business on the side at the beginning of this year and still employed at his current company. Someone please help!!