I-864 Affidavit of Support was submitted; however, it was not from the petitioner/sponsor

jcroot88

Registered Users (C)
Hello guys!

As some of you may remember from my previous posts, I just became a US Citizen couple of weeks ago and I filed the I-130, I-485, I-765 and I-864 for both of my parents who are currently here in the United States with an "overstayed" status (both of them entered here legally on 2001 and still have their I-94 white cards).

Everything seems to be going smooth until today I received a yellow notice saying:

Form: I-864 Affidavit of Support was submitted; however, it was not from the petitioner/sponsor

After doing some research in this forum I found out that even though I don't have any income I still as the petitioner need to submit a separate I-864 for each parent correct? If so, can you guys please take a look to my I-864 sample and tell me if everything is correct before sending it along with the yellow notice and of course my signature. (Link and instructions to the I-864 Sample at the end of this message.

Question 1: Also, will this delay my parent's green card? Both of them have a date for their fingerprint on Dec 17, 2012.
Question 2: Since I don't have any income, do I still need to submit my wife's income even though she is not the joint sponsor?

Additional information:

I obtain my citizenship through marriage (I am currently married) and I am also a full time student. My wife is the only one that is working for now with a estimate income of $19,000.00 which is the reason of why I asked a friend of mine if he could be a joint sponsor for each parent.

My friend's currently annual income is above $60,000.00 which I believe is good enough for both of my parents.

My wife and I also have a dependent child who is my wife's daughter.

Link to the PDF file I-864 Sample:
http://www.datafilehost.com/download-24d63149.html

Note: For those of you who are unfamiliar with the above file sharing site, it is a safe and secure site, just make sure to uncheck "Use our download manager and get recommended downloads" and click the small and gray "Download" button.

Second note: You may also need Adobe Acrobat or any other software to open/view PDF files. If for some reason I am not allowed to post links in this thread, please feel free to remove it, but please do not delete my post.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Guys!

First of all I will appreciate and be thankful if some of you can a take a moment to read my case and questions:

After doing my homework and some research, I was able to fill the I-864 on my own. I already sent the I-864 for each parent but
I want to be sure I filled and sent everything correctly:

Situation:

I don't work and I never did and I am currently a full time student. I am also involved in a state program that helps individuals with disabilities find a job that will accommodate their needs. So I don't have any income but I do file taxes with my wife, she is the one who is working now but is not making enough money either to sponsor my parents. That is the reason of why I asked a friend of mine if he can be the only joint sponsor for each parent. He is currently making above 60K a year.

When I sent my parent's package at the beginning, I sent the I-864 form with the joint sponsor's information, tax scripts, bank accounts etc... but I never sent a I-864 with my information so this is the reason of this:

Form: I-864 Affidavit of Support was submitted; however, it was not from the petitioner/sponsor

Now I already sent the I-864 form for each parent along with a cover letter explaining why I don't have any income or job and also including the yellow notice.

So my questions are:

1: Since I don't have any income and I don't work and my wife's is not the joint sponsor, that means I don't need to send any taxes from me or my wife correct?

2: When I filed the I-864 form with my information where it says:

Persons NOT sponsored in this affidavit:

If you are currently married, enter "1" for your spouse.

Here I entered "1" since I am currently married. Is this correct?

3: When I filed the I-864 form with my information where it says:

Income you are using from any other person who was counted in your household:

Here at first I entered my wife's information and income (which is below 20K) but then I left it blank since I don't want to use my wife's information because I am already using a joint sponsor for my parents. Is this correct?

Many Thanks!