I-864 Affidavit of Support - joint sponsor.

crouch

Registered Users (C)
Hi everybody.

I browsed the forum but I have not find anybody who was in the same situation as my friend. My friend will be marrying an american citizen. However, she is still a student and therefore she does not meet the requirements to be his sponsor.

Her mum agreed to support my friend and be a joint sponsor together with my friend's future wife. However, the mum retired in February this year. She can provide tax returns for past three years showing that she was earning a lot more than the required minimum for the joint sponsorship.

This is my question. Does her previous (before retirement) salary apply and can be used to qualify to be a joint sponsor? Or does she have to use her current pension to qualify to be a sponsor? If that is the case, what is she supposed to use as a proof of income if she had not filed taxes while reciving only pension?

Thank you very much for all your answers.

Crouch

Current income is the most important thing. Her pension income needs to be enough, and she needs to provide proof of the pension and how much income it provides. She must have received some sort of documentation of the pension from the business or government entity which is paying the pension.