I-751 Remove Conditions on Residence HELP PLEASE! :)

timmy_d11

Registered Users (C)
Hi all...

We are fast approaching the 90 day window to apply to remove the conditions of residence for my wife.

We were thinking about paying a paralegal to help us with our package, but their fee is $700, and the only way I can swing that is to go into debt on a high interest credit card. I just don't have this kind of money right now.

As it is we still have to come up with the $545 USCIS fee.

The thing is we would like peace of mind - to have "professionals" do it.

When my wife got her initial green card she was denied at first, because I had lost my job...and our paralegal at the time failed to advise us to get a cosponsor. I got the cosponsor's paperwork to the counter at the Garden City USCIS by the deadline that the woman gave us, but they probably screwed up and did not deliver it to the person that was doing our case. It was an ABSOLUTE NIGHTMARE trying to get them to acknowledge that we gave them the cosponsor's paperwork in time and get them to reverse there decision - it took MANY visits over MANY weeks to the Garden City USCIS - it's a good thing I was unemployed at the time.

We DON'T want to go through ANYTHING like that again.

But we cannot really afford to pay for a paralegal this time.

BESIDES THAT, my father INSISTS that if I'm careful it should be a piece of cake to fill out the form and compile everything we need anyway. He actually finds it kind of foolish that I am not just doing this myself.

Is it true? Is it easy to fill out this / these forms and compile / organize all required things ourselves?

Does anyone have a checklist of sorts, or an excellent website they can recommend with a perfect checklist for everything needed with the I-751?

Taxes - do they require state taxes or just transcripts of our joint Federal taxes?

Any and all help would be TREMENDOUSLY appreciated!

:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you learn anything from the past experience?

Do not pay a moron paralegal, who failed to advise you to get a co-sponsor, that will screw up your case.

You need to get familiar with this process, it is up to you to read, ask questions and go through it... That being said, the I-751 is one of the EASIEST forms to fill out and have approved... specially when the couple is still married and have evidence of their life together.

Do not get in debt for this... Just read up the instructions for the form, and the guides found on this and many websites... you do not need a $700 moron to help you.

There is plenty of morons here that will help you for free ;)

Does anyone have a simple checklist of required things to accompany the I-751?

There should be a cover letter as well?

If it exists I would like a dummy-proof checklist so that I can do it and feel confident that it is complete.

Also, someone mentioned at another forum that a lawyer is not a bad idea to have in the event that USCIS screws up something from THEIR end...then we would have someone going to bat for us that they would take more seriously than us defending ourselves...do you agree with this train of thought?

Does anyone have a simple checklist of required things to accompany the I-751?

The I-751 instructions indicate what they want - proof of permanent residence, proof of an ongoing relationship. They also provide some examples.

If you want. It's not necessary.

Also, someone mentioned at another forum that a lawyer is not a bad idea to have in the event that USCIS screws up something from THEIR end...then we would have someone going to bat for us that they would take more seriously than us defending ourselves...do you agree with this train of thought?

Perhaps, but if you can barely afford the filing fee then paying unnecessarily for insurance in the form of an attorney unless you need it isn't really a very smart thing to do. If you're still married and living together the I-751 is a snap.

"Part 5. Information About Your Children-List all your children (Attach other sheet(s) if necessary)"

Are they talking about any children my wife and I have had TOGETHER or ANY children we have PERIOD?

Also, under "other names used (including maiden name)", should my wife put her maiden name down even though she no longer uses it?

ALL THIS IN BOTH NAMES
1 lease
2 light,cable,phone bills
3 tax returns,transcripts
4 insurance,health or car
5 car registration,title
6 credit cards statements
7 checking/savings accout statements
8 pictures
9 reciepts for stuff bought together
10 boarding pass copy or travel itinary
11 marriage certicate/divorce decree
12 copy of bothside of G.C
13 affidavites from friends or family
14 the i751 form of course
15 $545
16 anything that can convince a little babe that you two are in a real marriage.if u can get at least 6 of the above u,ll be all set.but remember this process takes about 5 to 9 moths depending on where u live. good luck

Dotates anyone have a simple checklist of required things to accompany the I-751?

If it exists I would like a dummy-proof checklist so that I can do it and feel confident that it is complete.

any children you have legally recognized as yours.

Um, my wife is the conditional permanent resident. She is filling out the form. The form says "information about your children / list all your children"

She has one child from a previous relationship.

I have one child from a previous relationship.

We have none together.

Does she list her daughter?

Or does she list her daughter and my son?

Um, my wife is the conditional permanent resident. She is filling out the form. The form says "information about your children / list all your children"

We have none together.

I'd list both. If your child lives with you.

but remember this process takes about 5 to 9 months depending on where u live. good luck

What will she get in the meantime to be OK with an expired green card?

(petition 90 days out, but it takes 150 to 270 days to get her new green card?)

See, this is why I think I should just pay to have this done - I can't get SOLID answers to question I have and if I goof we will have another major setback - we can't afford that.

See, this is why I think I should just pay to have this done - I can't get SOLID answers to question I have and if I goof we will have another major setback - we can't afford that.

I posted links to two very helpful sites, listing instructions and a step by step guide. People have been answering questions and helping. But is not all going to happen in 2 days. You need to be patient.

If you are unable to do this yourself then pay the paralegal and have your peace of mind (even though the paralegal may mess up too).

Do as you wish. But IMHO it is a waste of money.

come on guyz. the form is asking who is filling, so if the husband is not filling then it has nothing to do with him.she has to put her child alone,

We have none together.

come on guyz. the form is asking who is filling, so if the husband is not filling then it has nothing to do with him.she has to put her child alone,

Actually, after studying the instructions for the I-751 I think it has become clear that my wife would only list her daughter if she was also removing conditions of residence - but her daughter has not gotten her green card yet, so we will not list her - we will do her separately when the time comes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are there any other vital forms that must accompany the I-751 or is it the only one?

Has anyone else done this (requested removal of conditions of residence) themselves and can confidently say that this is something that we can and should do ourselves?

Are there any other vital forms that must accompany the I-751 or is it the only one?

Has anyone else done this (requested removal of conditions of residence) themselves and can confidently say that this is something that we can and should do ourselves?

No other forms needed. I have not filed I-751 yet, but I will own my own... I am sure plenty more have done it (just like I went through the entire AOS process filing by myself with the help of this forum and other resources).